Philadelphia 30th Street Station

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

ceo418

Train Attendant
Hello. I will be heading to Philadelphia in a couple of weeks to attend a day at a conference, and I'll be arriving at the 30th Street Station. Is there anyone here who knows what I should do to get to the PA Convention Center at 11th and Arch Streets? Is there a local train, or am I better off getting a taxi at the station? If this is the wrong place to ask this, please feel free to move the topic :)

You can take a SEPTA train from 30th Street station to Market East.

http://airs1.septa.org/bin/query.exe/en?seqnr=2&ident=4r.0170051.1389730286&OK#focus

Station/Stop Date Arr. Dep. Services Comments 30th Street Station 01/14/2014 04:03 PM
rai_pic.gif
Regional Rail Regional Rail Direction: Fox Chase

Market East 04:13 PM Market East
fuss_pic.gif
Walk 5 min.

11th St + Arch St Duration: 0:15; runs Mo - Fr

Last edited by a moderator:
I assume you will be arriving on Amtrak. Yes you can ride any local SEPTA commuter train from 30th Street station to the Market East Station with your Amtrak ticket. ( Most times the conductors do not even check)

When you get off at 30th street you will need to go upstairs and follow signs to the Septa commuter platforms which are on the upper level.

The signboards should tell you the arriving train and which platform track to board at.

Market East would be the second stop.

You'll want to board any SEPTA commuter train heading EAST from 30th Street. These are always found the southern most three tracks

of the SEPTA concourse. With very, very few exceptions, any eastbound SEPTA train will take you all the way to Market East.

There was a sign when you walk into the SEPTA area which train is the next to center city and which track it will be on. I am not sure the same is true the other direction.

There was a sign when you walk into the SEPTA area which train is the next to center city and which track it will be on. I am not sure the same is true the other direction.
There is a screen as your enter the SEPTA hall with "next train to center city" indeed; there is not in the other direction and I always get lost not being familiar with Philly area when I'm taking a train from Suburban.

I believe that the Philadelphia subway also runs from 30th Street Station area to Market East.

It's simple head to Tracks 1,2, and 6 for septa service to Center City.
True, but you can't access all those tracks from the same platform. The "next train to Center City" monitor gives you a head start over having to guess.

Though in practice, if you're there on a weekday between 6 a.m. and 7 p.m., you wouldn't have to wait long no matter which platform you choose.

I believe that the Philadelphia subway also runs from 30th Street Station area to Market East.
True, but you can't use your Amtrak ticket for free passage on the subway.

I thought one could use your Amtrak ticket for free passage to Market East?

Amtrak Tickets | Both Amtrak paper tickets and e-Tickets, purchased for the same date of travel and presented for inspection, will be accepted as a fare to ride on Regional Rail trains between 30th Street Station and Market East Station.

I thought one could use your Amtrak ticket for free passage to Market East?

Amtrak Tickets | Both Amtrak paper tickets and e-Tickets, purchased for the same date of travel and presented for inspection, will be accepted as a fare to ride on Regional Rail trains between 30th Street Station and Market East Station.

Yes, you can use your Amtrak ticket for free passage on Regional Rail trains between Market East and 30th Street. However, the subways are not part of the

Regional Rail system. It's sort of like the difference between a Metro North train and the MTA subway in NYC.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back