PHL - SAN April 2013

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Carolyn Jane

Lead Service Attendant
AU Supporting Member
I have been dragging my feet about booking this trip,and not the bedrooms are sold out on the SWC. We are two senior ladies who unfortunately get up to the bathroom a lot at night, so I don't want a roomette. What are the chances that there will be a bedroom cancellation in the next month or two? I could book for the day prior and spend another night in SAN, but would rather not. If I book for the day prior, and a room becomes available on my preferred day, I can cancel without penalty...right? CJ

I have been dragging my feet about booking this trip,and not the bedrooms are sold out on the SWC. We are two senior ladies who unfortunately get up to the bathroom a lot at night, so I don't want a roomette. What are the chances that there will be a bedroom cancellation in the next month or two? I could book for the day prior and spend another night in SAN, but would rather not. If I book for the day prior, and a room becomes available on my preferred day, I can cancel without penalty...right? CJ
It is possible that there will be a cancellation, particularly this far in advance of travel. If you book the day prior and a room opens up on your desired day, you can cancel and rebook with no penalty. If there is fare difference between your old and new reservation, you will either have to pay the difference if the new fare is more, or you can get a refund of the difference (less a 10% fee) if the new fare is less.

Carolyn,

You can also call up Amtrak and ask to be put on the waiting list for a bedroom for the date you want. Give them a phone number where you have the greatest odds of being reached, as if they don't reach you on the first try, they go down the list until they can sell the room.

I still highly recommend that you keep checking daily too, and if you see something call immediately and have an agent switch things around from the wrong day to the right day. But the wait list gives you additional backup.

If you are unable to book a bedroom on the SWC, you might consider taking the Texas Eagle to LA as an alternative. The train from San Antonio to LA only runs three days per week so some schedule manipulation would be in order. But you would get to LA and a connection on a Surfliner to San Diego as you initially intended. There may still be bedrooms available on the TE at this time? Just a thought for you to consider. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back