Picturesque Small Town Stops on Amtrak Routes

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I stopped off for a day in Hattiesburg MS when I took the Crescent a few years back. University city, nice downtown area, not terribly expensive city of about 50,000.

Kissimmee FL is also ... OK ... lots of clubs, bars, and restaurants right by the train station, and a somewhat decent old-school hotel (I assume it's still open) on Broadway, three blocks from the station.

A really interesting thread for someone like me to consider, as I mostly ride the Amtrak trains from end to end, and so visit just the major cities.
I rented a car a few years back, and took a road trip from Chicago to San Francisco. Mostly following Route 50, said to be "America's Loneliest Road". I visited many small towns, forgotten backwaters, on that trip. There is a lot to see in America besides shopping malls!

Agreed with earlier comments about some of the previously-named towns actually being cities, such as Meridian, MS (I was there once for a wedding many years ago) or Charleston, SC (my sister lives in its suburbs). As to truly small towns of touristic interest along Amtrak routes, my own town (Dwight, IL) has a small museum in the old depot (just a couple blocks away from the current depot), and a Route 66 Visitors Center that's a popular photo-op for visitors from all over the country, as well as many foreign countries. (If you're from outside the USA and visit our local Route 66 Visitors Center, you'll be sure to have your picture on page 1 of next week's issue of the local newspaper!) The Lincoln Service trains stop in Dwight several times a day (both northbound and southbound), so it's certainly doable for a brief visit traveling either direction. (And if you don't care to continue to a larger city for the night, the Super 8 up by the interstate is the best motel in town.)

Train passing between Marfa and Alpine. Sunset Limited also takes this route.View attachment 28788
😎This is close to Paisano Pass, the Highest Point on the Sunset Ltd. Route, and the site of my first home during World War II where we lived with my SP Railroader Grandfather in the long gone Section Foremans House.(while my dad was in the South Pacific.)

Do I sense that you could be persuaded to leave Jersey and move to Alexandria Patty?😄

I actually looked, Jim. Out of my price range.

But I’ve made it one of my getaway towns when I’ve had enough of NJ and need a break. Or an overnight or two on my way to or from somewhere else. Especially nice when I have enough hotel points to cover the lodging!😊

I actually looked, Jim. Out of my price range.

But I’ve made it one of my getaway towns when I’ve had enough of NJ and need a break. Or an overnight or two on my way to or from somewhere else.😊
Yep, unfortunately the really cool places have become unaffordable!🥺

But there's always Florida when you're tired of the Winters!🤣

During my time in DC I lived in the District, Maryland and Virginia and they've all become too pricey!🤬

Alan Affeldt saved the classic Fred Harvey hotels in Winslow and Las Vegas, NM. And as a result he arguably saved the towns themselves. Both classic small towns in the southwest that are very walkable (although it’s a bit of hike to the square downtown in Las Vegas and its Plaza hotel he also saved).

Of the two we like La Posada in Winslow better even though Las Vegas is a bit more interesting: 80-90 trains a day vs 2!

Laurel, MS.

It's the setting of the HGTV renovation series "Home Town." I've been through Laurel many times on the Crescent. I'd like to go there and walk around the town a bit.

We did spend a couple of nights in Meridian one time.

Charlottesville, VA, is also fun to walk around.

Freeport would

Freeport, ME would be interesting, especially for checking out the L.L. Bean store. Is it still open 24/7 ?
Freeport is a typical small New England town that has been turned into an outlet shopping mall. :) The L.L. Bean store is worth checking out; they never close, and they have little ponds inside the store that contain live trout. In the summer sometimes they have an employee who does a fly-fishing demonstration. You can, of course, walk over to the Fishing Department and buy the necessary tackle to do it on your own, but not in the store. (A three-day non-resident fishing license is $25, cash only, unless you buy it online.)

I always check out the LL Bean Outlet (a different store) for bargains, and occasionally I find them. I also like the Lindt Chocolate outlet, which also sometimes has bargains, but also usually had products that aren't readily available, at least in the stores where I buy chocolate.

You need a car or an Uber to go down to Freeport Landing, where the Harrakeeset Lunch and Lobster (a bit pricey, and cash only, but they have an ATM) will give you the classic Maine seafood at the docks experience. Actually. an Uber isn't a bad idea, as parking down at the landing is a bit limited.

Given that people are now recommending small cities, I have to add Portland, Maine, on the Downeaster. They have a culinary scene reminiscent of New York or the SF Bay area (not to mention good, but overpriced food trucks), a thriving arts scene. interesting 19th and early 20th century architecture, scenic waterfront views, ferry rides, and the Maine Narrow Gauge Railway Museum, which runs cool 2-foot narrow gauge train rides on authentic historic equipment, some even behind steam engines.

But it's probably better to come outside of the summer season when hotel prices go through the roof.

Picturesque small towns on Amtrak?

My two nominations are Harper's Ferry, West Virginia and Truckee, California

Each time I pass through these towns, and also admittedly others, I just think they look so interesting and charming that I want to get off the train and explore them. So I have. And I was right...they are.
I'd add Davis,CA, first stop just West of Sacramento,but a great little walking around College Town( Cal Davis) with reasonable priced Accommodations Cafes and more Bikes than almost anywhere!

And there are plenty of Trains to the Bay Area and Sacramento.

Picturesque small towns on Amtrak?

My two nominations are Harper's Ferry, West Virginia and Truckee, California

Each time I pass through these towns, and also admittedly others, I just think they look so interesting and charming that I want to get off the train and explore them. So I have. And I was right...they are.
I haven't been to Truckee since the late 1950's. My parents used to stop there on the way to see my aunt, who lived in a small lumbering community about 40 miles away. Back then, Truckee was a dumpy little town with little attractions. However, my sister said, on a recent visit, it's a fun and charming town.

https://is.gd/5NyOHC

Last edited:
Back