Piedmont and North Carolina DOT Service discussion

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
These schedules are well thought out operationally. First there are the 2 Carolinian sets which are cared for at CLT and SSY ( with swap outs when necessary at SSY ). Then 2 Piedmont train sets make one and half trips each day so CLT one night and Raleigh the next. One set just round trip to RGH which can swap out with either of the 1-1/2s at RGH. Anyone know how many extra locos and cars it owns?

It will take 5 crews each day 2 CLT and 3 RGH making a round trip which will get them home every night. As well schedule rotations for the 7 days a week are easily built. As for extra board persons maybe no more or maybe one additional each at CLT and RGH for vacations & other problems. The ACs for the Carolinians have no idea. How the OBS allocated have no idea.

Last edited:
These schedules are well thought out operationally. First there are the 2 Carolinian sets which are cared for at CLT and SSY ( with swap outs when necessary at SSY ). Then 2 Piedmont train sets make one and half trips each day so CLT one night and Raleigh the next. One set just round trip to RGH which can swap out with either of the 1-1/2s at RGH. Anyone know how many extra locos and cars it owns?
They have 8 locos and 5 cab cars with 14 coach cars and 6 lounge/baggage cars
they have federal funding to replace that all with 6 new locos and 26 venture cars. maybe the states going to kick in some money for some more cars not sure
trains leave each station at a set interval and typically have timed connections at stations.
a 3 hour pulse would be
leaving a end station at 7am,10am,1PM,4PM,7PM
but before that happens local buses come and drop people off, maybe some regional or intercity buses come as well.
I have heard the term “clockface” used for such schedules.
clockface I generally reserve for more frequent services but it can be used here

Then 2 Piedmont train sets make one and half trips each day so CLT one night and Raleigh the next. One set just round trip to RGH which can swap out with either of the 1-1/2s at RGH. Anyone know how many extra locos and cars it owns?
One train set will make two round trips: 71/72 and 77/78.
One train set will make one round trip: 73/74.
One other train set will also make one round trip: 75/76.
All start and end in Raleigh each day.

jb

It will take 5 crews each day 2 CLT and 3 RGH making a round trip which will get them home every night. As well schedule rotations for the 7 days a week are easily built. As for extra board persons maybe no more or maybe one additional each at CLT and RGH for vacations & other problems. The ACs for the Carolinians have no idea. How the OBS allocated have no idea.

All the Piedmont sets and crews will start and end at Raleigh. The Carolinian is the only one crewed from Charlotte. That crew does the round trip on 80/79 same day.

There is a new layover facility built just south of the new station that can accommodate multiple trains overnight, but I doubt that will be put into use before Gateway station opens.

The skipping stops schedule is weird. I don't see the logic in it. Guess no one in Burlington wants to commute via train to work in Greensboro as the morning and evening trains now skip BNC. Can't take the train for a morning meeting in Charlotte, either. Getting to the point with enough trains that a memory schedule would be nice. Raleigh departures at 6:30 AM, 9:30 AM, 12:30 PM, 3:30 PM, 5:30 PM, 7:30 PM, etc.

All the Piedmont sets and crews will start and end at Raleigh. The Carolinian is the only one crewed from Charlotte. That crew does the round trip on 80/79 same day.

There is a new layover facility built just south of the new station that can accommodate multiple trains overnight, but I doubt that will be put into use before Gateway station opens.

The skipping stops schedule is weird. I don't see the logic in it. Guess no one in Burlington wants to commute via train to work in Greensboro as the morning and evening trains now skip BNC. Can't take the train for a morning meeting in Charlotte, either. Getting to the point with enough trains that a memory schedule would be nice. Raleigh departures at 6:30 AM, 9:30 AM, 12:30 PM, 3:30 PM, 5:30 PM, 7:30 PM, etc.
Last time I was on the Carolinian I met someone on the platform in Greensboro that stated he commented every work day to Burlington. Only person I know that use NC rail as a commuter rail, but this would still work for him, at least in the morning.

Sorry if this is a dumb question, but where are NCDOT’s cab cars? I rode the Piedmont in late 2021, and we had to F59s for power. Furthermore, I’ve never seen video of an NCDOT cab car in operation. Are they just backup in case an F59 fails?

Sorry if this is a dumb question, but where are NCDOT’s cab cars? I rode the Piedmont in late 2021, and we had to F59s for power. Furthermore, I’ve never seen video of an NCDOT cab car in operation. Are they just backup in case an F59 fails?
NCDOT Cab Control Units looks just like locomotives, except that they don't have any prime mover.

Here is CCU102:

1685020910277.png

This may already have been mentioned somewhere in this thread.

The locomotives are named after cities along the route and the engine number is the year the city was incorporated. That is going to put their number in the 1700s to 1800s. The CCU seem to not be named as the locomotives are and their numbers start around 101 I would assume since one of the CCU is 102.

I don't get the express train, saving 10-15 mins seems so minor. Its also not pulse which is a bit annoying.
Hopefully they fix both when they go to 5-6RT
Some of the reasons may also be related to having someone at the station. These stations are not staffed by Amtrak employees. Instead NC DOT hires folks to open and close the station and direct people to a Quick-Track kiosk. I am not sure of the pay. I don't think it is much and might be mostly retirees staying busy but it is not volunteer as the Train Host program is from what I have read. There might be some concerns with finding someone to do this every day. I doubt that this is THE reason for the express but it might have helped push the decision more firmly in that direction.

Here are the 10 trains (8 Piedmont and 2 Carolinian) that will run Charlotte-Greensboro-Raleigh. Burlington, High Point, Salisbury, and Kannapolis are skipped once a day in each direction.

Coming Soon: More Trains & New Schedules
Awesome. And GoTriangle is still free of charge through 2023. There is an easy close connection at Durham and the bus stop is co-located at Cary.
No car required!

Some folks are not happy about the missed stops.

Personally I hate to see stations skipped but getting under 3 hours was a big deal for some decision makers for a variety of reasons and saving 3 minutes a stop can decrease end to end times without any expense of eliminating grade crossings or straightening curves.

Personally, I would have preferred a better acronym, like S.H.I.E.L.D. How do you introduce the subject in a letter to your representative?
I agree. I thought it was going to be a parody at first given the acronym.
I read a book about the Teamsters some years ago and it seems when they were discussing the Teamster around the early 1970s and their endorsement of Nixon it was mentioned the group was called CREEP (at least unofficially) Committee to RE-Elect President.) I'll leave it at that.

I promise I will not do this for every trip (which may be rare-ish as I plan to do more station hosting) but I have my first of two required NC Train Hosts trips on Saturday. Burlington to Charlotte and back again. You might hear me on the PA system if you are riding my two trains with my certified host trainer.

I promise I will not do this for every trip (which may be rare-ish as I plan to do more station hosting) but I have my first of two required NC Train Hosts trips on Saturday. Burlington to Charlotte and back again. You might hear me on the PA system if you are riding my two trains with my certified host trainer.
Sounds wonderful! Hope you have a great time — I’m sure the passengers will enjoy it. Thank you for doing such a nice project and let us know how it goes.

Back