pillow?

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

flying_babyb

Train Attendant
So how bad are the pillows? Im just currious if I should bring my own, if so anyone got a reccomedation for a nice packable one (I HATE travel sized pillows, just got rid of the 5 camp ones)

Better bring your own as I think they stopped providing them. I could be wrong or maybe that was Delta and AA. I take my own on long distance.

So how bad are the pillows? Im just currious if I should bring my own, if so anyone got a reccomedation for a nice packable one (I HATE travel sized pillows, just got rid of the 5 camp ones)
If traveling coach, bring your own. If in a sleeper/room, then they're provided.

we've got sleepers. We plan on taking the metro once we hit dc so were trying to pack light. how big are there pillows? i have a little blow up one that came with a nice fleece blanket but I hate tiny pillows. the blanket was worth it though! the best part is I can hook it to my luggage with a carabener

we've got sleepers. We plan on taking the metro once we hit dc so were trying to pack light. how big are there pillows? i have a little blow up one that came with a nice fleece blanket but I hate tiny pillows. the blanket was worth it though! the best part is I can hook it to my luggage with a carabener
Standard pillows.

IMG_0358.JPG

IMG_0357.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:
Standard pillows.
oH thank god! less to lug

Standard pillows.
I just edited my post with some pictures.

I think trying to accurately describe the thickness of a pillow is pretty difficult. Some like thin ones, others like thick ones. One that's too thick for you is difficult to make thinner but one that's too thin for you can be made thicker by stuffing with something or just using two of them. I prefer thin pillows and my limited experience with Amtrak pillows tells me they're on the thin side. Just ask the SCA for another one.

Standard pillows.
Just be aware that Amtrak's "standard" pillows are much thinner and flimsier than any standard pillow you'd ever find in an actual store. Even Walmart's cheapest generic pillow is several times thicker and plusher than any of Amtrak's pillows.

Last edited by a moderator:
they look like hospital pillows which suck, but I can live with! My monkey is our class mascot who travels the world with me. Kids learn about each state and new places. Monkey even went to the hospital for a tonsilectmy (who knew! monkey had tonsils lol)

BTW, I take a small travel/camping pillow with me when I'm in coach. For packing I put it in a ziplock bag and squish it down. Then carry it and my thin blanket in a string bag.

It also seems to depend on how new they are. I had new pillows a couple of trips ago that were actually fluffy.

On the EB a couple of months ago the pillows were new and fluffy. Going again on 4/2...will check back. Also, I've been in a lot of hospitals and never had a bad pillow. Maybe it was just the drugs.

I was on the Texas Eagle on 2/13. The pillows were quite fluffy...and plentiful!

All of the monkeys pic in the post reminds me of a favorite saying of mine, "Not my circus, not my monkeys."
That's a translation of the Polish proverb "nie mój cyrk, nie more małpy". It's become quite popular. :) It basically means "not my problem".

Yes, there are usually four pillows in each roomette or bedroom. Our last trips on the SM and CL had decent fluffy pillows. I use two to prop up my head since I need to be partially vertical due to GERD issues.

Yes, there are usually four pillows in each roomette or bedroom. Our last trips on the SM and CL had decent fluffy pillows. I use two to prop up my head since I need to be partially vertical due to GERD issues.
Just please....DO NOT EVER get sucked into the "My Pillow" spiel....fragments of foam rubber in a cheap covering. No, I didn't, but know of too many.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back