Pittsburgh—What time should I arrive?

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Oreius

OBS Chief
I’m planning to be at Union Station tomorrow at 6:30 AM. I will have no luggage. The Pennsylvanian leaves at 7:30. Is that a good time?

I’m planning to be at Union Station tomorrow at 6:30 AM. I will have no luggage. The Pennsylvanian leaves at 7:30. Is that a good time?
If you have no luggage, that's honestly a little early, for me anyway. I'd personally aim for 7am, unless I was planning to get there early and find breakfast nearby.

I don't know the area downtown too well, but unless there are breakfast spots nearby, you may end up just waiting at the station for 50 minutes with nothing to do until boarding is called.

I'd be more concerned about getting to the station at what could be the beginnings of the rush hour. Unless you're having someone drop you off or are taking a bus, finding full or multi day parking could be an issue.

I have zero experience driving in Pittsburgh and don't know what traffic is like.

At worst case, if you arrive at 6:30ish, you'll end up sitting in uncomfortable chairs and sipping vending machine coffee or other beverages...if the machines work.

Here is the best plan. Plan for what you know will be the worst traffic delay problem and plan your arrival accordinly. What I have to do fordeparting and meeting arrivals at the ATL station is that I can expect max enroute delays for 0:45 - 1:30 depending on time of day and downtown events. With baggage checking :45 minutes B-4 departure and best travel time of 1:10 it becomes a departure 3:15 before expected departure of Crescent either way. For arrival pickups 2:30 before expected arrival. Always follow train progress very closely.

That is one reason ATL sucks so much.

EDIT: Almost forgot if am going to long term park car add another 30 minutes unless someone accomapanying then they can check bags.

Last edited:
I made it at 6:35. My hotel was just a two minute drive away—technically I could walk. But I have a physical handicap, so I was dropped off.

They board at 715–presumably Business Class is first.

The snack machine was out of order.

Attachments

• 0E818A0D-C5C3-4E9B-B27B-5F67C12F5A83.jpeg
    0E818A0D-C5C3-4E9B-B27B-5F67C12F5A83.jpeg
    64.6 KB · Views: 0
Coming to the parking party a little late, but there is a garage right across the street from the Amtrak station. Visually but I don't think 'architecturally', this looks like part of the Greyhound station. You should have no problem finding parking at Pennsylvanian east bound boarding time. The exit is on the far side of the block, so there's a bit of a walk.

I'd be more concerned about getting to the station at what could be the beginnings of the rush hour. Unless you're having someone drop you off or are taking a bus, finding full or multi day parking could be an issue.

I have zero experience driving in Pittsburgh and don't know what traffic is like.

At worst case, if you arrive at 6:30ish, you'll end up sitting in uncomfortable chairs and sipping vending machine coffee or other beverages...if the machines work.
Traffic in Pittsburgh, especially at rush hour which begins while it's still dark, can be an issue. At the risk of being too early and being bored, I'd heed advice to allow for rush hour delays unless you're staying at a nearby downtown hotel the night prior.

I once saw the eastbound Capitol Limited (which I'd been tracking on ASM alerts...but obviously not diligently enough) rumble across the Ft. Wayne Railroad Bridge from my 11th floor apartment atop Pittsburgh's Amtrak station, and hustled to say goodbye to the cat, grab my suitcase, and careen downstairs. I made it.

Don't cut it that close. Unless you also live in the Pennsylvanian, the iconic Western HQ of the Pennsylvania RR now converted to apartments. In which case you might also have this view.

1657388013850.png

Back