Pittsburgh PA

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

Train2104

OBS Chief
The inclines are highly recommended. Buy a day pass, take the bus to the Duquesne, ride up, enjoy the view, walk to the Monongahela, ride down, and take the light rail back downtown.

When visiting the Duquesne Incline, don't forget about the machine room. As of little over a year ago, one can observe it and the cables from a balcony. Look for the turnstile, which costs 50 cents to enter. It's nestled in the corner and not incredibly overt.

railiner

Conductor
It's sad there haven't been any posts in this thread in 6 years, since I was thinking I might do a Pittsburgh Amtrak trip very soon. It's interesting the original post didn't mention(as I'd been doing research on Pittsburgh, for whenever I finally do this trip soon) that there's an Andy Warhol museum, and ditto with one for Roberto Clemente.

Just posting here, since maybe for all I know it'd revive interest in this forgotten thread?
Who knows, though I cross fingers that it would help get this thread some needed life.
You must have been inspired by them doing the NBC Nightly News with Lester Holt live from here, last Thursday....
Actually, I did NOT see that Lester Holt segment whatsoever. As it is, I hardly ever catch the nightly news at 5:30pm central time, like I used to years ago. A video clip link to whatever you're talking about where Lester was filming in Pittsburgh, please? Or at least describe what Lester was filming about, for that news in Pittsburgh. Thanks.
Sorry I didn't see your reply earlier....if you're still watching, here you go...

EMTDON

Train Attendant
It is safe here in Pittsburgh like any other big city depends on what area you're in. We have a lot of nice attractions and good restaurants. The only big issue we have is the homeless people downtown not too far from the train station.

flitcraft

Lead Service Attendant
The Andy Warhol Museum is worth a visit. I'm not a modern art fan, but even a philistine like I am can enjoy this museum--it's very well laid out and has a good cafe, for afters!

EMTDON

Train Attendant
The Andy Warhol Museum is worth a visit. I'm not a modern art fan, but even a philistine like I am can enjoy this museum--it's very well laid out and has a good cafe, for afters!
PNC Park the home of the Pirates is about 2 bocks away!

flitcraft

Lead Service Attendant
PNC Park might just be the most gorgeous baseball park in the US. I highly recommend taking a tour, or even taking in a game if they're playing at home.

My twin brother took me to a game there last season ..against the Colorado Rockies.
Spot on .....gorgeous ball park and its surroundings....The day before the game we took the tour.

Trollopian

Train Attendant
The bad news is that, whether you arrive by the Pennsylvanian or the Capitol Limited, you'll get to Pittsburgh too late to rent a car; the good news is that you don't need to. Pittsburgh is a very compact walkable downtown. There are several hotels within walking distance of the station (my favorite is the splendid William Penn, but you can also consider the Westin, the Drury, the Courtyard Marriott, the Doubletree, the Monaco, etc.) and in turn many, many attractions that you can walk to from your hotel: the Strip, the Heinz Museum, the Warhol, the Incline, the Cultural District, PNC Park. Best ballpark in baseball albeit with a disappointing team. And if you want to see the museums, conservatory, and universities in Oakland, just hop a PAT bus, that's a well-plied route. For a railfan, Pittsburgh is a perfect getaway.

Brendan Gill, the New Yorker writer and preservationist, famously said that "If Pittsburgh were situated somewhere in the heart of Europe, tourists would eagerly journey hundreds of miles out of their way to visit it."

trainman74

Conductor
...and in turn many, many attractions that you can walk to from your hotel: the Strip, the Heinz Museum, the Warhol, the Incline, the Cultural District, PNC Park. Best ballpark in baseball albeit with a disappointing team. And if you want to see the museums, conservatory, and universities in Oakland, just hop a PAT bus, that's a well-plied route. For a railfan, Pittsburgh is a perfect getaway.
It should also be noted that the light rail is free within the downtown/North Shore area (thanks to the longtime "pay when you enter inbound, pay when you leave outbound" fare collection method).

dogbert617

OBS Chief
It should also be noted that the light rail is free within the downtown/North Shore area (thanks to the longtime "pay when you enter inbound, pay when you leave outbound" fare collection method).
Yep, that is correct. Between First Avenue and Alleghany(right by the Steelers' football stadium), you can ride for free. If you ride south to Station Square or anywhere else beyond, you do have to pay to ride the T though.

Trollopian

Train Attendant
Yep, that is correct. Between First Avenue and Alleghany(right by the Steelers' football stadium), you can ride for free. If you ride south to Station Square or anywhere else beyond, you do have to pay to ride the T though.
Quite correct! From the Port Authority Transit (PAT) website: "Keep in mind that stations between First Avenue and Allegheny are located inside the free fare zone. If you’re traveling only within the free zone, you do not have to pay. If you’re traveling beyond the free zone, you must pay." (The Pirates' PNC Park is across from the North Side station, within the free fare zone, though if you're healthy and the weather cooperates it's just as easy, heck, easier to walk there from downtown across the Roberto Clemente bridge, which is closed to auto traffic on game days.)

More info about fares at https://www.portauthority.org/fares-and-passes/. It used to be that out-of-town seniors could ride for free by showing a Medicare card, but not anymore. To cut down on fraud, PAT now requires a special state-issued senior ID. But, transit fares are still a bargain, especially when you factor in the savings on car rental and parking.

So, railfans, put Pittsburgh on your bucket list.

EMTDON

Train Attendant
I wish we had more Amtrak's coming through Pittsburgh! As you can see from these posts, we have a lot of attractions here and a lot of hotels! We have a beautiful city but too bad the trains come in at night, I work in downtown Pittsburgh and have the pleasure of waiting on Amtrak employees.

Last edited:
Group Builder