Pittsburgh Station

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
C

Charlie

If I arrive by train at midnight can I stay in the station until it is light enough to ride a bike (sun rise)?

It is unstaffed, so I don't see why not...
I'm guessing the OP is arriving in PGH and wants to wait it out before heading back to DC via the Great Allegheny Passage and C&O canal.

According to Amtrak.com, PGH is open 24 hours. Only someone suffering from a terminal case of bicycle derangement syndrome would throw him out onto the street.

Last edited by a moderator:
Pittsburgh station consists of a few train platforms upstairs and a waiting room downstairs. It is staffed for a couple of hours before trains arrive and depart. Nothing arrives after midnight so the station will be unstaffed until about 4 AM ( CL arrives at 5 AM) so you'll probably be the only passenger there for about 4 hours. The area around the station is not great but not terrible. There is a hotel a large parking lot and a Grayhound bus stop across the street, By about 4-5 AM the strip district 1/2 mile away opens up and the delivery van and truck drivers gather there before their morning food delivery runs. If you are up for it,they serve a great breakfast at Delucas.

Doesn't look like the greatest part of town. Would this be safe to go on a layover between the CL and the Pennsy? How about eastbound at 5 in the morning? Maybe that will be breakfast in June when I am going through.
It's not so bad. No one lives there and there's not any real reason for lots of people hanging around. Aside from the trucks over at the old fruit terminal, the area's fairly abandoned at the dark hours of the morning. The people that are around are waiting for the bus. I routinely walk a few blocks to get a Zipcar down there. Especially if the CL is really late and I don't want to make someone come get me at 2:30 in the morning.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back