Pittsburgh to New England trip suggestions

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Law638

Train Attendant
I’m interested in traveling to New England states for a seafood tour! I need recommendations on what trains/routes to take from Pittsburgh! in the past I got great suggestions on my cross country loop & welcome all! Also, hotel/sights without renting a car! I hate driving after 20 years of doing it for work! Thanks!

I suggest you take the Pennsy( Biz Class is worth the Upgrade) during the Week, not Weekends, and go before May, from Pittsburgh to New York, spend the Night( Google up Deals on Hotels) since a Same day Trip from Pittsburgh to Portland isnt practical/ possible,and then catch the earliest Regional or Acela you feel comfortable with ( just get the Best Fare in Coach or Biz Class on the Acela) to Boston,( Back Bay or South Station).

Then Self transfer to North Station ( T or Ride Share/Cab)and take the Downeaster ( Biz,Class is nice on this Train but Coach is OK) to Portland,Maine.

Hotels ( and Seafood, but its Delicious)) can be Very Pricey in the Summer, especially on Weekends,and it can get Very Crowded in what is a Small Fishing Village.

I've stayed @ a Nice Days Inn that included Breakfast for $120(in Early May) a night and used Ride Share to/from the Waterfront.( In nice weather it's Walkable)

Keep in mind the Intermodel Station ( Amtrak/Bus Station) requires a Cab or Ride Share since it's located away from town.

Boston has excellent Seafood also, butHotels tend to be Very Expensive, even Higher than New York!

I agree completely with Bob Dylan, with one change. I would take the Pennsylvanian to Philly, stay overnight there, and then take Acela to Boston. Hotels not as expensive in Philly, plus it’s less congested and 30th Street station is beautiful.
If you overnight in Philly there isn't much around 30th St. but you can use your Amtrak ticket to ride SEPTA free to Suburban or Jefferson station in Center City where there are several hotels and restaurants.

Just a note that on the Pennsy, BC is most definitely *not* worth it, as it's in a regular Amfleet I BC car instead of an Amfleet II coach car like the rest of the consist. It's not a split cafe/BC car like on the Empire Service or Vermonter, for example.
Thanks for the update, the Last time I took the Pennsy it did have a 2×1 Split BC/Cafe Car.( this was before the Pandemic)

Thanks for the update, the Last time I took the Pennsy it did have a 2×1 Split BC/Cafe Car.( this was before the Pandemic)
Last time I took it was before the pandemic too; I've taken four trips and IIRC each time it had an Amfleet I BC car with Amfleet II coaches.

Consider going beyond Portland to some of the attractive small towns on the coast. You can get fresh lobster as they cook them right off the boat. Concord coach lines shares the intermodal terminal with Amtrak in Portland
This is a good idea as well, just make sure to leave enough time between the train and bus. Concord also runs many more trips Boston to Portland than the Downeaster that you can use to make day trips from Boston more easily.

If you wanted an alternative routing for the return to Pittsburgh, you could take a regional or Acela to Washington DC and then the Capitol Limited back to Pittsburgh. Not sure about the connection; this might require an overnight in DC. It will also get you back to Pittsburgh a few hours later, around midnight rather than 8pm.

Thank you all for your advice! I’m looking at early spring or early fall.I like & really want to go beyond Portland. So I can’t avoid renting a car. It will give me a wider chance to see all those small towns & villages! Again, thanks!

You can take the Downeaster directly to Freeport or Brunswick, where in both cases the stations are within walking distance of downtown restaurants and, at least in Brunswick, lodging.

Also, the Downeaster station at Wells, although it is mainly set up as a big parking lot where the tracks cross the Maine Turnpike, is served by the seasonal Shoreline Explorer system of "trolley" buses that connect it to coastal towns from Ogunquit to Kennebunkport. Last summer, however, several of the bus routes were shut down because of the labor shortage. I am not sure how early the season for this service starts or how far past Labor Day it runs.

There is an Acela that leaves New York about 10 a.m. (and Philly about 8:30) that makes a pretty reliable connection to the 3:45 p.m. Downeaster departure from Boston. That puts you anywhere from Wells to Brunswick in time for dinner.

I’m not sure how much time you have, but after the Portland leg of your trip, you could return to BON (Downeaster), get over to BOS (like someone mentioned you can use the T, Uber, etc- I just walk), then head down to the Kingston, RI station (Northeast Regional). We have tons of great seafood here just an Uber ride away. Narragansett, Newport, Charlestown (even has a Seafood Festival- 8/4-8/6!) are all great options.
Then continue on to PHL on the Northeast Regional (Acela doesn’t stop in Kingston).

You can take the Downeaster directly to Freeport or Brunswick, where in both cases the stations are within walking distance of downtown restaurants and, at least in Brunswick, lodging.
The Harraseeket Inn in Freeport is not far from the station and is a great place to stay.

If you overnight in Philly there isn't much around 30th St. but you can use your Amtrak ticket to ride SEPTA free to Suburban or Jefferson station in Center City where there are several hotels and restaurants.
You can even walk to Center City or Rittenhouse Square from 30th St Station if you don't have much luggage.

I would guess there are also good seafood places in New London and Mystic CT, both of which have Amtrak stops in their walkable town centers. Service to Mystic is fairly limited, but nearly all of the Northeast Regional trains stop at New London. And with a transfer at New York or Philadelphia, you could ride through from Pittsburgh to New London, or vice versa, in a day, although it would involve about 12-13 hours including the transfer.

I believe there is also a Hilton Garden Inn near downtown Freeport. And in Brunswick, The Brunswick Hotel is right up the block from the station.
True, although the Harraseeket also has some things that you won't find at an HGI, such as rooms with working fireplaces :)
Mrs. AmtrakMaineac and I have gone there for a couple of times on our wedding anniversary.

Back