Pizza delivery on the Texas Eagle

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

RickIronton

Train Attendant
Here's a challenge.

On the Texas Eagle from St Louis to El Paso or return, where is the best town to call ahead and get pizza delivered to the station, preferably for lunch?

Here's a challenge.

On the Texas Eagle from St Louis to El Paso or return, where is the best town to call ahead and get pizza delivered to the station, preferably for lunch?
SB ... Lunch would be Dallas or Fort Worth. There is usually enough time in FTW to walk into downtown and eat. But if time is limited ( as in a late arrival ) and you want pizza delivered ... most places do not. of course, you have the usuals of Domino's and Pizza Hut.

NB ... Temple Texas.... no choice for walking as station time is only a few minutes. Delivery is like very very limited.

Ft Worth has a Subway inside the Station and on most days except Sundays

there is a guy who sells very tasty hot dogs, brats,chips and Cokes @ reasonable prices outside where the City buses load! This is really your only shot @ lunch time since lunch begins in the Diner when you leave Dallas and Last Call is upon leaving Ft Worth!

St Louis has a combo Chicken/Pizza Hut stand inside the station but the selection is limited and its gross! ( of course its dinner time when the SB leaves/Breakfast on the NB)

San Antonio is a 3-5 Hour Layover waiting on #1 to arrive ( but this is after 10pm @ night) and there is a 24/7Dennys close to the Station on Commerce towards the River Walk! There used to be a guy that hawked pizzas on the platform when the train arrived and you may have time to call for delivery to one of the Pizza Chains after arrival, not positive they deliver there but its a big tourist town with lots of hotels nearby!

When yoy arrive into ElPaso WB its between Lunch and Dinner but the Burrito Lady sells Excellent Green Chili Burritos Cheap by the entrance to the station!

Last edited by a moderator:
Fortnum & Mason's in London (UK) will deliver "proper" high-end food anywhere in London. (In an electric delivery van, of course.) I can't think of another example of high-end delivery...

When yoy arrive into ElPaso WB its between Lunch and Dinner but the Burrito Lady sells Excellent Green Chili Burritos Cheap by the entrance to the station!
I thought the Burrito Lady got run off. But I do hope she is back because her Burritos are beyond amazing!
She can't come on the platform anymore so sells by the door into the station by the platform!

Anywhere that one can get proper food delivered instead of pizza? I am thinking pheasant or quail, and champagne.. :p Ed :cool:
&
Only in Paris, San Francisco, the Apple and London Eddie! LOL
&
Fortnum & Mason's in London (UK) will deliver "proper" high-end food anywhere in London. (In an electric delivery van, of course.) I can't think of another example of high-end delivery...
It's not cheap but if you're willing to pay for it there are food delivery services in most major cities that will pickup from nicer restaurants and deliver to almost anywhere in public. This is true both in the US and all over the world. If the city you're passing through typically offers pheasant or quail with champagne for lunch then call a delivery service and have it brought to the train. Where I live that's not a typical lunchtime meal but here is an example of such a service from San Antonio & Austin: https://www.eatoutin.com/Default.asp

Over the years the national pizza chains have made it much more difficult to order delivery to unusual locations such as train stations and platforms. Not saying it can't be done, but even with a credit card order they'll be tempted (or even obligated) to cancel the delivery if it the location doesn't meet various requirements or doesn't look like something they're familiar with. The world is a very strange place and many bizarre and unconscionable things have happened to pizza delivery drivers over the years.

"St Louis has a combo Chicken/Pizza Hut stand inside the station but the selection is limited and its gross!"

Nice to see I'm not the only one who feels this area looks dirty and unkept every time I've seen it. Only had food their first time I was in station - never since. Although I will purchase bottled water or something similar there from time to time.

To be fair, I have never eaten quail or pheasant, but it just strikes me as amusing that if one is unhappy with onboard food, one chooses to "upgrade" to a pizza of all things!

Ed :cool:

The little DiGiorno Nuclear Pizzas sold on board really aren't that bad if the Attendant takes a few moments and prepares them correctly. Of course you are limited to how much you can doctor them up in the Lounge but they will get you through a Pizza Emergency. I now even pick them up at Walmart from time to time for late night snacks; Amtrak price is only a couple bucks above Walmart price which again is not too terribly bad.

I thought the Burrito Lady got run off. But I do hope she is back because her Burritos are beyond amazing!
She can't come on the platform anymore so sells by the door into the station by the platform!
Just look for the long line of her customers.

Amtrak's veggie burger is really good. Best thing on their menu, IMO.

I like the veggie burger too, just wish it wasn't so dry.
Get it with cheese and bacon, then. The bacon-cheese veggie burger is my favorite choice for lunch.
This is known as a "Cheater Burger" for Vegetarians and Vegans!
Aw...the "hypocrite burger"! I married a 3rd generation vegetarian, and it took me 15 years to get him to admit that eating meat wouldn't keep him out of heaven. The first meat he ever ate was bacon, better known in vegetarian circles as the "gateway meat".

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back