Pizza Delivery to the train? Havre, MT or Whitefish, MT?

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
That's why you should buy a REALLY, REALLY big one! :p (or two)

Tom
Don't know if anyone here remember the teacher from Fast Times at Ridgemont High. There was a stoner kid(Sean Penn?) who had a pizza delivered to the classroom. The teacher took a slice and told other kids to come up and enjoy the pizza as well.

Well... I was in high school at the time. I remember my US Government class teacher who was also the school's basketball coach. He was the opposite of that teacher in the movie. He saw the movie and a few days later, we were surprised when a Domino's guy knocked on the door and brought 5 large pepperoni pizza in. He paid and tipped the pizza guy, then asked a couple of students to follow him to the teacher's lounge. When they returned, they carried a couple dozen sodas. We enjoyed the free pizzas and sodas. Domino's pizza tasted better back in those days, probably because they had the 30-minute guarantee? :)

Interesting to think generic chain pizza has managed to eclipse Amtak food quality and selection to the point that average travelers are becoming jealous.

In other news the universal homogenization of chain food has very nearly reached global parity at this point. In the past American chain food used to look similar but taste and feel rather different in other countries. These days American chain food is almost identical in taste and texture all over the world. Burger King in Thailand tastes just like a Whopper in Texas and Taco Bell in Korea tastes surprising similar to tacos in Kansas.

That's honestly a truly amazing feat of modern engineering and ingenuity. Not sure if we should be impressed or depressed by this, but I'm sure it wasn't easy. On the other hand having a $35/mo smartphone plan with unimited data in 140 countries brings nothing but praise from the likes of me.

Last edited by a moderator:
Remember the old Holiday Inn Commercials that exclaimed: "The Best Surprise is No Surprise! "

I can remember being in other countries when the opening of American Chain Food joints was Highly anticipated and the Natives and Tourists alike lined up and paid alot to get their Big Mack's, KFC,Whoppers etc.

Reminds me of what happens at Apple Stores when the latest New Gadget comes out and the suckers, er Consumers go crazy!

Me, I prefer eating in the Markets and local joints and think that's why shows like those of Anthony Bourdain and Andrew Zinneman are such Big Hits with expierenced travelers!

Last edited by a moderator:
Remember the old Holiday Inn Commercials that exclaimed: "The Best Surprise is No Surprise! "

I can remember being in other countries when the opening of American Chain Food joints was Highly anticipated and the Natives and Tourists alike lined up and paid alot to get their Big Mack's, KFC,Whoppers etc.

Reminds me of what happens at Apple Stores when the latest New Gadget comes out and the suckers, er Consumers go crazy!

Me, I prefer eating in the Markets and local joints and think that's why shows like those of Anthony Bourdain and Andrew Zinneman are such Big Hits with expierenced travelers!
I always make it a point when traveling to avoid chain restaurants at all costs. I can eat that crap at home and want to seek out and enjoy things unique to the area, including Mom and Pop Dog Dish Dinners.

Amen to your thought at the end, of preferring local places and farmers markets over chains. Speaking of the original point to this post, I'm not surprised to hear about someone calling in an order to deliver the food on the platform, and the delivery guy/girl waiting on the platform till the train arrives to meet the customer who ordered it. I'd definitely consider looking at places near train stations if I was on a train that only had a cafe car, and wanted something a little different that was convenient and near the train. Someday I'd like to ride the Cardinal all the way east to DC, and since I see it lacks a full service food car with dining service and only has a cafe, it'd be nice if I could think of something near one of the train stops to call in a food order. Maybe in say like Huntington or Charleston, WV, this'd be possible? I've heard of train passengers calling in orders from Matey's in Michigan City, IN to meet on the platform(and as it's located across the street from its respective Amtrak stop), for those few Michigan Service trains that stop in Mich City.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back