Pizza Delivery to the train? Havre, MT or Whitefish, MT?

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

kelemvor

Train Attendant
Howdy,

We're heading from Milwaukee to Seattle leaving this Saturday. I've read some things about people ordering pizza delivery and having it delivered to the station when there's a layover. Just wondering if anyone has done this and how it worked out.

Based on the PDF Schedule, I'm thinking the Havre, MT stop would work best since it's in the afternoon and the pizza could be dinner as well. Schedule says the train is there for 25 minutes.

Otherwise the Whitefish stop would work but that's not until 9PM.

Anyway, just wondering if anyone has done this and if you have any tips. Looks like there's a Dominos right by the station but their website says Carryout only for some reason so not sure if they deliver or not. I guess I'll probably call them tomorrow and ask.

Thanks!!

I've done German food on a NER in Frederiskburg VA once. It's in the station and they carried it to the platform for me. It was really nice. It depends on the place and if the train is on time

Now I would guess even with the longer layover you want to phone in at least 30 minutes ahead-will you have Wireless service then? Otherwise it is a GREAT idea!

Howdy,

We're heading from Milwaukee to Seattle leaving this Saturday. I've read some things about people ordering pizza delivery and having it delivered to the station when there's a layover. Just wondering if anyone has done this and how it worked out.

Based on the PDF Schedule, I'm thinking the Havre, MT stop would work best since it's in the afternoon and the pizza could be dinner as well. Schedule says the train is there for 25 minutes.

Otherwise the Whitefish stop would work but that's not until 9PM.

Anyway, just wondering if anyone has done this and if you have any tips. Looks like there's a Dominos right by the station but their website says Carryout only for some reason so not sure if they deliver or not. I guess I'll probably call them tomorrow and ask.

Thanks!!
I have seen people take delivery of a pizza at WFH this summer, just be ready to catch the train and order ahead. Second street pizza is a local joint that has limited delivery and is decent pizza, so that is one to check out...

Phone service on the EB is questionable through the mountains so you have to be ready once you drop down into the valley to call.

Phone service on the EB is questionable through the mountains so you have to be ready once you drop down into the valley to call.
depends on your carrier, Sprint can't make a call, but AT&T and Verizon should have 3G/4G/LTE for most of the way, maybe ask CCC1007, he has Verizon (I think) and had good service when I met up with him, where I had sprint, and couldn't even load AU

Havre is a refueling stop for the EB and a fresh-air stop for the passengers. So, it is doable if the food vendor will deliver trainside.

Just called Dominos in Havre, MT and asked if they deliver to the Amtrak Station and he said sure. Said they get 1 of those every day or so and seemed like it's no big deal. He asked if I'd be East or West bound and said that since I'm Westbound I'll be stopping at the fueling stop before the actual station platform. Said I should give them a call when we start to slow down for the fueling station and they'll meet me at the station.

Can't wait to see if I can pull this off. Might be the highlight of the vacation. ;)

Sounds like management there has some good business sense. I bet if they showed up on the platform with a dozen or so fresh pizzas each day they'd have no trouble selling them, assuming Amtrak and local regulations allowed.

Sounds like management there has some good business sense. I bet if they showed up on the platform with a dozen or so fresh pizzas each day they'd have no trouble selling them, assuming Amtrak and local regulations allowed.
Or... If I happened to order a dozen or so pizzas and sold them with a slight mark-up to my fellow passengers... ;)

There used to be a guy that did this in San Antonio, and of course the Burrito Lady in El Paso still meets the Sunset Ltd.upon arrival even if she has been banished from the platform to the entrance to the Station.

In Ft. Worth there is a guy who sells delicious Hot Dogs, Brats and Coke products! outside the Station as an alternative to the Subway inside the Station.

There used to be a guy that did this in San Antonio, and of course the Burrito Lady in El Paso still meets the Sunset Ltd.upon arrival even if she has been banished from the platform to the entrance to the Station.
In Ft. Worth there is a guy who sells delicious Hot Dogs, Brats and Coke products! outside the Station as an alternative to the Subway inside the Station.
I have seen a hot dog stand set up between the station building and platform at Orlando.

Well, just thought I'd post this for everyone.

I ordered my pizza from the train from the Havre Domino's and the pizza guy was waiting on the platform when we pulled in. :)

2016-07-31 15.34.01.jpg

There used to be a guy that did this in San Antonio,
I was slightly hungry one night waiting for the Sunset connection and he was there; $5 bought a pretty good decent size Pizza, and for that price, I had no qualms about ditching a third of it after I was happily full. And he quickly sold out that night.

Well, got pizza again on the return trip and it worked perfectly. Domino's guy was walking up just as I was getting off the train. I saw someone else with Pizza Hut too so there must be one of those in the area as well. With the number of people who look jealous when I do that, I'm amazed Dominos doesn't just bring over a bunch of pizzas every time a train comes through and sell them as people walk up.

Well, got pizza again on the return trip and it worked perfectly. Domino's guy was walking up just as I was getting off the train. I saw someone else with Pizza Hut too so there must be one of those in the area as well. With the number of people who look jealous when I do that, I'm amazed Dominos doesn't just bring over a bunch of pizzas every time a train comes through and sell them as people walk up.
THAT sounds like good business sense.

a related question.... how does one dispose of the large pizza box once the pizza has been consumed on the Amtrak train? I'm staring at the box of the 18" pizza that I got this afternoon. Still a few slices remaining. I usually just throw the empty box into the recycling bin.(assuming the box isn't too greasy)

Pizza boxes are really easy to break down. I used to fold boxes when I delivered pizzas; there's not much to them.

Once broken down to a flat shape, you can then fold it up (or tear it into pieces) and stuff it in one of the recycling bins. Most pizza boxes are perforated where they're folded, so tearing them up is pretty easy.

Pizza boxes are really easy to break down. I used to fold boxes when I delivered pizzas; there's not much to them.

Once broken down to a flat shape, you can then fold it up (or tear it into pieces) and stuff it in one of the recycling bins. Most pizza boxes are perforated where they're folded, so tearing them up is pretty easy.
On the lower level there's a big garbage can/box that I just dropped mine into. But my pizza wasn't 18"... :) Can always just fold it up and trash it.

Does not answer your question.....but there is a car attendant on the SWC that always has a pizza delivered to ABQ during the extended stop.....good idea!

I think it's a little cruel to force others on the train to smell your freshly-baked pizza. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back