Placement of Sleepers on the California Zephyr

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Since 2008, my wife and I have ridden the California Zephyr 18 times. Of those 18 times, 12 times the sleepers were on the rear of the train behind the diner, and 4 times they were on the front of the train ahead of the diner. The other 2 times were in 2008 and I wasn't keeping track of the consists yet, so I'm not sure where the sleepers were located on that trip. The sleepers were on the front July and August of 2009 and November and December of 2014.

I noticed a few youtube videos in the past week and the sleepers were in the front again.

Does anyone know what the factors are that determine where they place the sleepers?

I rode the CZ Chicago to Emeryville Jan 13-15 and SCA told me that was the second day of sleeper back to the front. He said it was recommended by Amtrak to put the sleepers behind the transition sleeper which is always in front. Whether this is just a Winter time consist or permanent remains to be seen. Last year they tried the sleepers in front when they removed the transition sleeper and baggage car in January but quickly put the sleepers back to rear by the time I rode in late January 2015. Not sure if there are other factors.

I am wondering if after February 16, when the new pet regulations take effect, the sleepers will be permanently up front so that the last coach in the consist can be the pet car. This assumes Amtrak has thought of that so as not to inconvenience those with pet allergies; they wouldn't have to walk through the pet car to get to the lounge and diner.

I am wondering if after February 16, when the new pet regulations take effect, the sleepers will be permanently up front so that the last coach in the consist can be the pet car. This assumes Amtrak has thought of that so as not to inconvenience those with pet allergies; they wouldn't have to walk through the pet car to get to the lounge and diner.
I have a feeling they probably thought of that and would designate the coach farthest away from the lounge/diner as the pet car...but I have a feeling they're going to forget the transdorm.

This will likely mean that the "shorts" car will be the designated pet car on the CZ. That's the car in which most folks going to/from Reno are loaded.

It used to be that the CZ had a winter/summer consist, and that the "short" sleeper could be run between CHI and DEN and then taken off. Thus the sleepers were on the rear. But now, they run the third sleeper year round to EMY and the sleepers are on the front year round.

Too bad, I much prefer the sleepers on the rear for the railfan rear window and the reduced noise level from the horn. I guess that leaves only the sleeper on the Portland section of the EB and the LA sleeper from Chicago on the Sunset as the only trains with a rear sleeper.

Good News!

Even with the sleepers near the front of the consist, the railfan window is still on the rear of the train.

Even Better News!

Sleeper passengers get to walk further to get to the railfan window and get more exercise than Coach passengers wanting to look out the railfan window.

Last edited by a moderator:
I can't speak for the rest of the year, but right now the sleepers are up front to facilitate the adding/removing cars en route.

This will likely mean that the "shorts" car will be the designated pet car on the CZ. That's the car in which most folks going to/from Reno are loaded.
Oh, they'll be loaded, probably too much so for allergies to kick in.

I can't speak for the rest of the year, but right now the sleepers are up front to facilitate the adding/removing cars en route.
I have ridden the Zephyr numerous times in the past 4 years in winter, spring , summer and fall and the sleepers were always in front . The only times I have ever seen a car added en-route were a few private varnish gems. I fail to see, however, any reason why placing the sleepers in front would facilitate adding/removing cars. Are you talking about other trains in general? Most of the adds I have seen were a BNSF or UP freight engine to pull us to our destination because one of our P42's had failed!

I have ridden the Zephyr numerous times in the past 4 years in winter, spring , summer and fall and the sleepers were always in front. The only times I have ever seen a car added en-route were a few private varnish gems. I fail to see, however, any reason why placing the sleepers in front would facilitate adding/removing cars.

Very simple. The are adding/removing coaches en route at various points during the week. If the sleepers are on the head end and the coaches are on the rear end, it is as simple as coupling/uncoupling the last car(s) on the train and leaving it.

If the sleepers are on the rear end and the coaches are on the head end, you'd have to split the train between the coaches and the lounge (since they are blocked together) in order to set off/pick up what you need, then put the train back together. This would likely require an additional rail for your drop/pickup.

I have ridden the Zephyr numerous times in the past 4 years in winter, spring , summer and fall and the sleepers were always in front. The only times I have ever seen a car added en-route were a few private varnish gems. I fail to see, however, any reason why placing the sleepers in front would facilitate adding/removing cars.

Very simple. The are adding/removing coaches en route at various points during the week. If the sleepers are on the head end and the coaches are on the rear end, it is as simple as coupling/uncoupling the last car(s) on the train and leaving it.

If the sleepers are on the rear end and the coaches are on the head end, you'd have to split the train between the coaches and the lounge (since they are blocked together) in order to set off/pick up what you need, then put the train back together. This would likely require an additional rail for your drop/pickup.
Respectfully, I get what you are saying, and the reason for it. What I am trying to say is that this topic is about the Zephyr and it does not add or remove coach cars enroute. I'm sure there is the occasional bad order, but that could be any of the cars. If I am wrong about this, it will be just another duh moment for me and I pre-apologize!

Respectfully, I get what you are saying, and the reason for it. What I am trying to say is that this topic is about the Zephyr and it does not add or remove coach cars enroute. I'm sure there is the occasional bad order, but that could be any of the cars. If I am wrong about this, it will be just another duh moment for me and I pre-apologize!
The California Zephyr has started running an Emeryville to Reno coach on weekends this winter.

The California Zephyr has started running an Emeryville to Reno coach on weekends this winter.
Thank you Agent! I stand corrected. (sort of) LOL!

The previous two summers I rode the Zephyr the sleepers were on the rear. This whole "the sleepers are always in front" thing is news to me.

The previous two summers I rode the Zephyr the sleepers were on the rear. This whole "the sleepers are always in front" thing is news to me.
Now this topic is getting hilarious to me! Yes Cina, I am sure the sleepers were on the rear when you rode, they were always in the front WHEN I RODE!

Agent regularly posts videos of the CZ on his YouTube channel.

If you were to note the dates of his videos you would likely see that most of the year the sleepers are on the end of the CZ consist.

Agent regularly posts videos of the CZ on his YouTube channel.

If you were to note the dates of his videos you would likely see that most of the year the sleepers are on the end of the CZ consist.
I kind of thought this was the case, but I'm not as good at differentiating cars from the outside (I'm learning! :lol: )

I am also curious about this question (see my topic earlier). Perhaps mr. "Agent" of the video's as member of this forum I think and regular observer of the Zephyr can inform us about changing rear-front-rear. etc. Someone of this forum did say 15 Februar is an important date. (Excuse language-mistakes!).

Back in the 80's they would add cars to the Friday night consit from Oakland a couple of coaches and a bar car with a dance floor then pull them off in Reno. Coming back on Monday they would literally carry some over partied from cabs back onto the westbound.I always snuck back there and a good time was had by all

My speculation was wrong. The only designated pet cars, it appears, will be on the Illinois corridor trains. Passengers with pets in containers can sit in any coach. Not food service cars or sleepers. So it seems that sleepers in the front or sleepers in the rear will continue to follow past procedure.

Happened to be downtown in Omaha this morning, and the timing was perfect. Got to the station just as 6 came in going to CHi. Just an FYI it had three sleepers in front and the two coaches were one the back end.

Am I wrong, but given the fact that the horn is in front, shouldn't the sleepers always be in the back?

I don't think Amtrak or its predecessors used the horn as a reason for car placement. When the Panama Ltd, Broadway Ltd, and 20th Century Ltd were all-Pullman, somebody HAD to be near the horns.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back