Planning a trip to Niagara Falls

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

alang

Train Attendant
Taking the train from Omaha to Niagara Falls for our 40th Anniversary next summer. Some questions, how is the train service from Buffalo to Niagara Falls? Is the station in proximity to hotels? Would like to explore options for a different route to return; is it practical or even possible to return to at least to Chicago via Canada? Suggestions will be appreciated.

I traveled from NYP to Niagara Falls, NY in July. I stayed at the Doubletree and took an Uber from the station to the hotel. I walked from the hotel to the American Falls and then across the Rainbow Bridge to the Canadian Falls.

We took the train from NYP to Niagara Falls Canada and stayed on the Canadian side. We walked across the rainbow bridge to see the American side one day. The station was not near my hotel but taxis were plentiful. Most of what we wanted to see was on the Canadian side and we were continuing to Toronto so it made sense to stay there. We were able to walk to all the touristy areas without any problem. The only night we went further away we took a taxi to a show, and got a ride back from a local we met at the dinner theater (a whole other story). Customs at the train station was quick and fairly low key, but there were only about 10-12 of us getting off there.

Agree with previous two answers, if you go or return via New York City. Given your origination point, if you were connecting to the Lake Shore Limited in Chicago and getting off at Buffalo Depew station - the most direct route, the answer could be a bit different. For example, the LSL arrives around 9 in the morning and you would have quite a long wait for a train connection to Niagara Falls. Fortunately the Depew station is 5 minutes from the airport, with its assortment of hotels and perhaps of most use - rental cars.

Other rail options would involve travel through Canada using a combination of trains. There has been significant past discussion on all of the above, plus there are several here (including myself) who are very familiar with this area. With a few more details of your plans it would be easier to add suggestions.

Edited to add: Congratulations on your milestone anniversary as well!

Last edited:
Back