Planning southwest trip

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lonnie

Service Attendant
AU Supporting Member
We're thinking of going to San Francisco from Chicago by way of Santa Fe, Flagstaff, Grand Canyon, and Los Angeles, spending a night or two in each place. We love to walk and don't want to rent a car. How does one get from Lamy to Santa Fe? How is the weather likely to be in Santa Fe and Flagstaff in early March? What do I need to be aware of? Any must-sees within a mile of any of those stations?

I live in San Francisco and go to LA often without a car and we just got back from a trip to Santa Fe car-free for a few days.

I'm sure someone else can help with the Lamy to Santa Fe information, but since we were coming from the west, we decided to get off in Albuquerque and take the Railrunner up to Santa Fe. It was clean, easy, and inexpensive, although the could sure use more frequency. You might consider it for when you want to continue west. Once we were in Santa Fe we found plenty to do within ~10min walking distance:
- NM Art Museum
- Georgia O'Keeffe Museum
- Important historical sites
- Lots of Restaurants
- Spas
- The city square
- The farmers market near the Railyard

There are also a decent number of cit bus routes (Santa Fe Trails) that can supplement walking (Google Map transit directions worked well). Although the weather is sometimes a little cold, the elevation is more of a factor for me when walking around Santa Fe since it's over 7,000ft.

Downtown Flagstaff itself is great without a car - plenty of restaurants and very walkable - but I'm not sure how it is to get to the Grand Canyon without a car. Flagstaff is quite high in elevation as well and I've seen it snow pretty late in the spring, although it's a cute city in the snow, they don't do very good ice abatement on the sidewalks. I want to stay at the Hotel Monte Vista next time I go since I've only had drinks there but it seemed really cute. It's only a couple of blocks from the train station.

As for LA, you can really easily connect between Union Station a lot of LA via transit, whether that be the subway, light rail, or buses. Transit App and Google Maps transit/walking directions work really well there for helping you get where you need to go without a car. The weather should be nice in March in LA. There are tons of great museums, restaurants, beaches, and entertainment around LA, as I'm sure you know. Different neighborhoods have different things, so it might be good to stay near what you want to see.

San Francisco can be rainy in March, or it can be lovely. I love how green the Bay Area is in Spring since it's brown most of the time.

Have a wonderful trip.

This is the link to the Lamy - Santa Fe shuttle. We have used them a number of times. As I recall you book the shuttle to Santa Fe with your Amtrak ticket Their number is 505-424-3367 if you have questions. The shuttle will drop you off and pick you up at any downtown area hotel.

RideRoadRunneR - Shuttle, Chartered Bus, Passenger Transportation

I believe that Santa Fe in March will be on the cool side and may be windy so I would pack accordingly.

The amtrak schedule has a section for Flagstaff - Williams- Hrand Canyon but it only shows the schedule for the Grand Canyon train, nothing about a shuttle from Flagstaff. So I suspect Uber would be the only way.
At Williams you can stay overnight at the hotel which is in walking distance to the GCRR station. There are some decent restaurants in Williams I would recommend the Red Raven, all walkable from the hotel/station. I wouldn't bother with the Harvey House it is an overpriced high school cafeteria.
At the Grand Canyon the park service has an excellent bus system that takes you all around the park.

The amtrak schedule has a section for Flagstaff - Williams- Hrand Canyon but it only shows the schedule for the Grand Canyon train, nothing about a shuttle from Flagstaff. So I suspect Uber would be the only way.
At Williams you can stay overnight at the hotel which is in walking distance to the GCRR station. There are some decent restaurants in Williams I would recommend the Red Raven, all walkable from the hotel/station. I wouldn't bother with the Harvey House it is an overpriced high school cafeteria.
At the Grand Canyon the park service has an excellent bus system that takes you all around the park.
There was a shuttle van from Flagstaff to the Grand Canyon last time I visited.

Also a haunted hotel in Flagstaff downtown and restaurants and breweries.

I live in San Francisco ...
Then you must know Zuni Cafe where our son was sous chef until he was executive chef at the Black Cat. Then he started his own catering company. What a city, but so expensive.

Flagstaff is quite high in elevation as well and I've seen it snow pretty late in the spring, although it's a cute city in the snow, they don't do very good ice abatement on the sidewalks. I want to stay at the Hotel Monte Vista next time I go since I've only had drinks there but it seemed really cute. It's only a couple of blocks from the train station.
Thanks for the tip about ice! I'm from Syracuse originally and still can't stand the stuff. I'll bring my Yaktrax! We're staying at the Monte Vista, so by all means message me after the ides of March and I'll let you know how it was. I read that the second floor rooms are right above the bar, so I reserved on the third floor. All that sitting in trains, we're going to need the exercise!

There was a shuttle van from Flagstaff to the Grand Canyon last time I visited.
Here's the link:
https://groometransportation.com/grand-canyon/?&sd_client_id=47e3d59d-7981-4731-88b4-da3efcb5ed2e
PLEASE NOTE: All Stops by Reservation Only

DEPART
FLAGSTAFF

Groome Office
DEPART
FLAGSTAFF

Amtrak Station
DEPART
FLAGSTAFF

Pulliam Airport
ARRIVE/DEPART
WILLIAMS

Grand Canyon Railway Resort
ARRIVE
GRAND CANYON

IMAX Theater
ARRIVE
GRAND CANYON

Maswik Lodge
7:35AM7:45AM-8:15AM9:15AM9:30AM
12:35PM12:45PM1:00PM1:30PM2:30PM2:45PM
3:35PM3:45PM4:00PM4:30PM5:30PM5:45PM

GRAND CANYON FARES
$38 One Way to / from Flagstaff

Here's the link:
https://groometransportation.com/grand-canyon/?&sd_client_id=47e3d59d-7981-4731-88b4-da3efcb5ed2e
PLEASE NOTE: All Stops by Reservation Only

DEPART
FLAGSTAFF

Groome Office
DEPART
FLAGSTAFF

Amtrak Station
DEPART
FLAGSTAFF

Pulliam Airport
ARRIVE/DEPART
WILLIAMS

Grand Canyon Railway Resort
ARRIVE
GRAND CANYON

IMAX Theater
ARRIVE
GRAND CANYON

Maswik Lodge
7:35AM7:45AM-8:15AM9:15AM9:30AM
12:35PM12:45PM1:00PM1:30PM2:30PM2:45PM
3:35PM3:45PM4:00PM4:30PM5:30PM5:45PM

GRAND CANYON FARES
$38 One Way to / from Flagstaff
Thank you! This is excellent! We rather opted not to take the adorable train from Williams, preferring to spend more time in Flagstaff and the canyon area.

As a former New Mexican...
Make The Shed a must place for a meal while in Santa Fe. It has really good New Mexican fair.
(113½ East Palace Avenue, just west of the Square)
This is the link to the Lamy - Santa Fe shuttle. We have used them a number of times. As I recall you book the shuttle to Santa Fe with your Amtrak ticket Their number is 505-424-3367 if you have questions. The shuttle will drop you off and pick you up at any downtown area hotel.

RideRoadRunneR - Shuttle, Chartered Bus, Passenger Transportation

I believe that Santa Fe in March will be on the cool side and may be windy so I would pack accordingly.
I just did this. The SWC stops in Albuquerque, Las Vegas, Lamy and Raton…those last three a bit remote. In my trip, my family came to fetch me from Albuquerque and dropped me off in Raton…which has seen better days. The alternative was a private shuttle but they were asking $300…so the Ambus is most definitely the way to go.

We love to walk and don't want to rent a car. How does one get from Lamy to Santa Fe?

Others have answered the question you actually asked, but I'll throw in a different option. You can get off the Chief at Albuquerque and hop right on the Rail Runner at the Amtrak station, the Alvarado Transportation Center (see Downtown Albuquerque | Rio Metro Regional Transit, NM). Frequent and fast service to Santa Fe. Pro: You get to ride another train, always a treat for us railfans. Con: You'll miss the lovely little station at Lamy (and the shuttle). Your choice. The Rail Runner's Santa Fe Depot is about a half-mile from the Plaza, the center of historic Santa Fe and the famous St. Francis and LaFonda hotels. Not too far to walk, but if the weather's dicey (possible though unlikely; my experience is that even if the thermometer reads chilly, the brilliant desert sun makes it feel otherwise) or you're burdened with luggage, you could take a taxi or Uber or your hotel would pick you up.

And no car rental! You'll need one if you want to explore northern New Mexico, which has some of the most stunning and varied topography anywhere. But Santa Fe is very walkable and interesting.

Eat at Pasqual's, https://pasquals.com/, and walk off the calories.

This. New Mexican is not Mexican. There are similarities to be sure but it's a cuisine of its own. Tia Sophia is great for breakfast, as is Cafe Pasqual's. The latter has more tourists.
We thought the New Mexican cuisine was just great. (My wife has been to Mexico, I have not.)

Santa Fe has some great restaurants (and food trucks). On one of our trips a few years ago we stayed at the El Dorado and enjoyed breakfast at Tia Sophia's every morning, esp. their daily breakfast specials.

I am not sure how the pandemic has affected things but the History museum was great and I would definitely recommend their walking tour. There was also a bus which would take you to museums which were outside of the downtown area. Art Galleries on Canyon Road are nice to visit as well.

I love New Mexican food, but the green and red chile is too hot for me, no matter how "mild" they make it.

That said, we had Huevos Rancheros at The Pantry, and they were incredible. I loved every single bite, even though my mouth was on fire.

https://www.pantrysantafe.com/
Also, if you're into local history, check out Loretto Chapel. The staircase has a really interesting story, even if you aren't religious. We popped in after browsing the vendors in the square.

https://www.lorettochapel.com/our-story

Others have answered the question you actually asked, but I'll throw in a different option. You can get off the Chief at Albuquerque and hop right on the Rail Runner at the Amtrak station, the Alvarado Transportation Center (see Downtown Albuquerque | Rio Metro Regional Transit, NM)....

Apologies, I now see that desertflyer earlier posted the same advice: Rail Runner from Albuquerque to Sante Fe! Plus bonus advice on seeing LA, the most stereotypically* car-dependent city in America, without a car.

* A stereotype that's no longer wholly deserved as desertflyer's advice makes clear. I guess the reputation is a holdover from the smog and clogged freeways of, when, the 60s and 70s?

I love New Mexican food, but the green and red chile is too hot for me, no matter how "mild" they make it.
This catches many people off-guard. New Mexican food is generally much hotter than Mexican food. Green Chile is great for the sinuses. Milk products help more than water if you're not a chile fiend like some of us.

I lived in NM for 18 years: nine in ABQ and then nine in Santa Fe. I still miss it, though I did miss large bodies of water when I lived there.

I moved east just before the Rail Runner opened but catch it now when I fly into ABQ rather than renting a car. I do like to get off at Lamy when on the SWC (circling back to Amtrak).

Others have answered the question you actually asked, but I'll throw in a different option. You can get off the Chief at Albuquerque and hop right on the Rail Runner at the Amtrak station, the Alvarado Transportation Center (see Downtown Albuquerque | Rio Metro Regional Transit, NM). Frequent and fast service to Santa Fe. Pro: You get to ride another train, always a treat for us railfans. Con: You'll miss the lovely little station at Lamy (and the shuttle). Your choice. The Rail Runner's Santa Fe Depot is about a half-mile from the Plaza, the center of historic Santa Fe and the famous St. Francis and LaFonda hotels. Not too far to walk, but if the weather's dicey (possible though unlikely; my experience is that even if the thermometer reads chilly, the brilliant desert sun makes it feel otherwise) or you're burdened with luggage, you could take a taxi or Uber or your hotel would pick you up.

And no car rental! You'll need one if you want to explore northern New Mexico, which has some of the most stunning and varied topography anywhere. But Santa Fe is very walkable and interesting.

Eat at Pasqual's, https://pasquals.com/, and walk off the calories.
There used to be a free shuttle from the RailRunner station to the Sana Fe Plaza.
Buses from RailRunner stations

This catches many people off-guard. New Mexican food is generally much hotter than Mexican food. Green Chile is great for the sinuses. Milk products help more than water if you're not a chile fiend like some of us.
My ex-boyfriend is from ABQ, so I've been there many times. He did warn me about the chile during my first trip, and any time a server gave me a strange look when I said, "No chile," he'd add, "She's from Michigan". 😄 I definitely went through several glasses of milk whenever I ordered Huevos Rancheros.

It's such a beautiful area, but being away from water for longer than a few days always felt strange to me. He used to joke that we could stop by the Aquarium if I went into withdrawal.

Then you must know Zuni Cafe where our son was sous chef until he was executive chef at the Black Cat. Then he started his own catering company. What a city, but so expensive.

Thanks for the tip about ice! I'm from Syracuse originally and still can't stand the stuff. I'll bring my Yaktrax! We're staying at the Monte Vista, so by all means message me after the ides of March and I'll let you know how it was. I read that the second floor rooms are right above the bar, so I reserved on the third floor. All that sitting in trains, we're going to need the exercise!
Oh I love both those restaurants and probably ate something he made. Hope the kiddo is surviving the Covid, and I can’t wait to hit up some City restaurants again.

Back