Please Mr. Anderson (sleeping suites in coach?)

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Japan Railway Journal, one of the programs on NHK World (the international broadcast of the Japanese public media), recently had a segment on the overnight service Sunrise Seto and Sunrise Izumo. These trains have a variety of sleeper option, including the nobi nobi open section.

https://www3.nhk.or.jp/nhkworld/en/ondemand/video/2049081/
What a nice video, thanks for posting it!
That looks like a brilliant operation. I really liked the variety offered, and especially the ability for keyless locking of your door, when leaving the room. Too bad they didn't at least offer vending machines in that "bistro" car, for those that didn't bring their own food...

If Amtrak starts some pure night trains they be even more practical since they would be in nightmode before boarding.
They had them in the NEC and VIA had the same between Toronto and Montreal overnight. There was never a need to "unmake" the beds other than changing sheets, etc. The cars would make the return trip the next night. Although both railways alleged low ridership for their cancellation, I believe equipment shortages made these routes easy targets.

Check out the thread about the Night Owl.

Last edited:
They had them in the NEC and VIA had the same between Toronto and Montreal overnight. There was never a need to "unmake" the beds other than changing sheets, etc. The cars would make the return trip the next night. Although both railways alleged low ridership for their cancellation, I believe equipment shortages made these routes easy targets.

Check out the thread about the Night Owl.
Don't forget The Northstar and The Spirit of California...:)

Last edited:
Back