Plus sized first time overnight train ride

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Here's what I have done, both to McGyver a lumbar support and emergency pillow--carefully roll your clothes into a log about 10 inches across. Roll reasonably tightly. Then insert into a gallon sized zip top bag and push to the bottom. Begin to roll that bag up, pause to push out the air, and zip it shut. You can adapt this to how firm you want it (for a lumbar roll) or squishy you want it (for a pillow, for my taste). For using it as a pillow, I then insert the zip top bag into a T-shirt because I don't care for plastic against my face, but YMMV. Back in my pre-HSR Chinese rail travels, I used this hack frequently.

Honestly, I never travel without an assortment of sizes of zip top bags--they have a multitude of uses! That same gallon zip top bag can magically transform itself into a sink for washing socks and undies, for example. Small baggies can keep food items clean and edible for eating later on, and will prevent your snacks from contaminating your day pack. I know that a lot of folks say duct tape is the more versatile travel item to tuck into your suitcase or backpack, but for me, it's zip top baggies!
That is a great idea! I do bring quart and sandwich size for food and snacks and hubby has brought gallooon size but I didn't think to use them for this. THat is a better idea - like you I dont want plastic next to my face but can then put in fabric like you said. I like the galloon bag better as it can be used for more stuff and I know my clothes inside are cleaner than a plastic bag from the store. :) :) :) Thanks!

Thank you everyone!!! Sadly, I'm not able to afford a roomette, due to the fact that it was $700 at the time of booking. I unfortunately don't have that kind of money as I am unemployed and disabled. It would be a dream to be able to have that since I love traveling, but unfortunately, not an option. I'm still just as excited for the trip down! I have already decided that I'm going to pack my own food and water to save money. I just ordered myself a blanket to take with me. I have headphones for overnight so I can watch some movies or shows. I'm hoping that I have a row to myself, but won't find out until the actual ride there. I appreciate all the advice and kind words! I'm definitely going to come back here after the ride down and let you all know how it went! Yall are awesome!

I have headphones for overnight so I can watch some movies or shows.

You should use the headphones anytime you play sound - even in the daytime.

Have you already booked your trip and purchased tickets? If not, you may still qualify for disability. When you select "disability" in the "Traveler" selection you will get a panel with these choices
1635798605620.png

If you select the "?" it does not ask what your disability is. I have "reduced mobility" and carry a cane - I have never been challenged about claiming the disability.

Here are what I found as prices for "disability"
1635798724206.png

Without the disability these are the ticket prices
1635798774300.png

The ticket is already booked. I didn't click the disability option since I didn't see it when I reserved from my phone. I'll definitely remember this when I go next time! Thank you! Also, I meant to put for the ride. I type quicker than I think lol! Thank you so much!

I am taking the Meteor
I know one Meteor coach attendant fairly well. She is fabulous and her name is Sharon. Her schedule is irregular since sometimes she works in the station. She was on the Meteor the last time I traveled a couple of weeks ago. Her energy is endless and she will do whatever she can to accommodate her passengers. I hope she is your attendant.

I know one Meteor coach attendant fairly well. She is fabulous and her name is Sharon. Her schedule is irregular since sometimes she works in the station. She was on the Meteor the last time I traveled a couple of weeks ago. Her energy is endless and she will do whatever she can to accommodate her passengers. I hope she is your attendant.
I'll keep my eyes out for her! Sounds like an amazing individual!!!

You don’t have to bring water. :) Just bring a container for it. There are spigots for drinking water located in every coach car.

The taste can vary, so I usually bring one of those little squeeze bottles of Crystal Light.

I like making reservation for lower level when traveling coach for overnight. There are fewer seats in a section and walking traffic between cars is non-existent.

Since Amtrak is still in its 50th year watch for deals come up. A lot of my cross country trip I booked last April qualified for a May discount and the trip was in June! A dissent refund: Check Amtrak.com for deals.

Although there’s about two weeks before your trip who knows if a deal will pop up and save you money. If so call Amtrak right away.

The Conductor is sometimes hard to figure who’s who. The shoulder boards of the Conductor that have four teal (blue/green) stripes. The Condctor is responsible for the overall operation and safety of the train as well as the comfort , safety and overall content of the passengers - like a ship’s captain.

I like making reservation for lower level when traveling coach for overnight. There are fewer seats in a section and walking traffic between cars is non-existent.
OP will be traveling on the Silver Meteor which is a single level train.

The ticket is already booked. I didn't click the disability option since I didn't see it when I reserved from my phone. I'll definitely remember this when I go next time! Thank you! Also, I meant to put for the ride. I type quicker than I think lol! Thank you so much!
You're welcome to call and get the fare changed :) Join Amtrak Guest Rewards online and then call the AGR number at 800-307-5000 5am-midnight EST daily I believe, though it may be 8am-8pm EST.

I'll definitely get the squeeze bottles of crystal light!

It's mostly about the taste. It should be safe to drink, but often the taste is a little funky. But something like a personal water filtration bottle (Brita has one) can handle the taste.

https://www.brita.com/water-bottles/
I was also thinking about your original concerns about seats. All long distance trains have about the same seat size/pitch, so I believe a Superliner comparison is pretty good. I sat next to a woman "of considerable size" although it was only for about 3 hours. I'll just say it never got terribly personal since there was so much room.

Back