Point Earning - Miles versus Dollars

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I think I would have banked more on the 2*$ rule. Pretty sure one of my tickets was $405.
That appears to be the high-bucket price for BOS-WAS on Acela F. So yeah, in that case you'd have been shortchanged

by 60 points if they applied the 750 Acela F rule. But I'm guessing the vast majority of the time it works the other way around,

i.e. that 500/750 rule works out better than the 2*$ rule. Other than BOS-WAS high-bucket in F, it's hard to find an Acela

ticket for more than $375 o/w. And I'm guessing relatively few people do actually spring for a $405 Acela ticket. You can buy

a walk-up one-way first-class ticket on US Airways BOS-DCA for less than that.

WAS>NYP is technically "between" WAS>PVD.
Yes but you only get 2 points per dollar spent on the acela on any trip to/from PVD.

That is why when I take the acela I always book my tickets between rte/bby/bos instead of PVD.

The only reason I have gotten to Select the past two years (I had like 9000 TQPs both years) was from aclea first class tickets (which I got with free upgrade coupons).

Back