Points gone - missed using

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jannie

Train Attendant
When Covid became an issue we had points hubby & I on separate accounts. I haven't been paying attention lately and noticed I now have 0 points. is there any way I might be able to get them reinstated? I will probably be traveling now, but didn't feel comfortable in 2021 and just now feeling like it? any suggestions.

It's too bad you didn't have an Amtrak credit card, as points being added to your AGR account from card purchases would have reserved those points. I suggest calling the AGR desk to find out if you have any options to recover those ponts.

Didn't Amtrak waive points cancellations during Covid? I don't recall the time period though.
Without the credit card there are some non-travel things that can be done to create "activity" on your account to protect the points (although too late now).
Your only recourse is to call AGR and explain the situation and hope for the best.
Good luck.

It's too bad you didn't have an Amtrak credit card, as points being added to your AGR account from card purchases would have reserved those points. I suggest calling the AGR desk to find out if you have any options to recover those ponts.
Actually just having the card alone is sufficient to keep your points. No card usage needed.

Without the credit card there are some non-travel things that can be done to create "activity" on your account to protect the points (although too late now). Your only recourse is to call AGR and explain the situation and hope for the best. Good luck.
Yeah the OP's best bet is to call AGR and explain what happened. On the one hand Amtrak would naturally prefer to remove as many points from active status as possible. On the other hand most points are never redeemed so reinstating them is a manageable risk that creates goodwill at minimal cost. When I've called to reinstate points (because a qualifying event was delayed or failed to post) they usually acted like it was no big deal to hand them back.

Back