Polar Express train at Chicago Union Station

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DSS&A

Lead Service Attendant
The Polar Express train has arrived at Union Station. The assigned coaches are different this year. The six coaches are Budd SPV 2000s with a Viewliner 2 full baggage car coupled in the middle of the six cars. GE locomotive #147 was on the head end of the train. The train's consist is as follows:

1623, 1633, 1625, 61049 (baggage), 1675, 1631, 1673 and locomotive GE 147.

Attachments

• 20191122_182946.jpg
    20191122_182946.jpg
    75.8 KB · Views: 48
  • 20191122_182905.jpg
    20191122_182905.jpg
    80.7 KB · Views: 46
The cars are owned by the Foxville and Northern Railroad in North Carolina/South Carolina.

I honestly think they have more passenger cars and items then an actual working railroad. I live near them and I barely know anything about them.

I know that they couldn’t get them ready for the knock off new river.

I believe the Polar Express isn’t really that long. I believe it shoves to the Canal St Crossing. Pulls back down the thru track, goes to Lumber St. and back to the station.

I believe the Polar Express isn’t really that long. I believe it shoves to the Canal St Crossing. Pulls back down the thru track, goes to Lumber St. and back to the station.
As a daily commuter into Union Station, I believe you are correct. I have only seen the train either parked on track #1 at the platform or parked on the siding under the buildings between Monroe and Lake streets. The very popular "special show" is inside the train. Trains on platform track #1 have a facing point switch to run directly onto the siding without having to cross Canal Street to perform a back-up train movement.

"The Polar Express" is one of my favorite train books. (The movie version not so much.) I wasn't aware that such an experience was even offered. Do any of the major theme parks offer a Polar Express dark ride similar to Pirates of the Caribbean?
Not that I'm aware, but the Train Ride is a licensed product offered by tourist railroads and museums all around the nation, and even Brightline.

Yes there are a few tourist railroads that do polar expresses up my way. This is the Chicago one (and the only one that Amtrak operates - though they just operate the train - it’s put on and organized by a private group.)
I assume its Amtrak equipment now? Noticed at one time it ran privately owned SPV-2000's...guess those are gone?

I know back in 2016, Amtrak also operated (chartered by the same events company) one in New Orleans. Took the City of New Orleans from a Polar Express display in Chicago to one in New Orleans.

Interesting there was a holiday train on the south concourse this weekend. (Saturday)
It was not the polar express that was operating on the north side. The locomotive had seasonal lights on it, and was a commuter train. Some staff was dressed as the Grinch, others with the Santa hats.

Interesting there was a holiday train on the south concourse this weekend. (Saturday)
It was not the polar express that was operating on the north side. The locomotive had seasonal lights on it, and was a commuter train. Some staff was dressed as the Grinch, others with the Santa hats.
Metra is also operating holiday trains.

Back