Police in California find homeless campsite hidden atop Amtrak station

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Wow. I wonder what function that concrete ring on the roof was designed to execute? I've never seen such a thing.
I’d need another look at the station roof profile, but I wonder if it was to represent a steam loco’s funnel.

1520861593337.jpg

1520861567932.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Wow. I wonder what function that concrete ring on the roof was designed to execute? I've never seen such a thing.
It appears to serve 2 purposes: 1. hide a vent. 2. Make the build more attractive.

I’d need another look at the station roof profile, but I wonder if it was to represent a steam loco’s funnel.
Here it is:https://www.google.com/maps/@38.0176391,-121.8161638,3a,75y,337.17h,90t/data=!3m7!1e1!3m5!1sssTwJNfvltOOjtxZh05Nmg!2e0!6s%2F%2Fgeo2.ggpht.com%2Fcbk%3Fpanoid%3DssTwJNfvltOOjtxZh05Nmg%26output%3Dthumbnail%26cb_client%3Dsearch.TACTILE.gps%26thumb%3D2%26w%3D96%26h%3D64%26yaw%3D337.16504%26pitch%3D0%26thumbfov%3D100!7i13312!8i6656

I'd call the man resourceful and also able to think outside-the-box.

The only thing that would have made this story better would be if someone had discovered him via Google Earth.

But yeah, props to the guy for making a go at it. Hopefully he can find the support he needs in order to harness his ingenuity into something with lasting benefits, whether in a career or simply getting a permanent home.

It's sad that in one of the wealthiest countries in the world, there are people who literally have to live on the roof of a train station. That said, that is a pretty darn smart spot to 'set up shop'. Kudos to that man's creativity.

This dude deserves a finders fee. Caltrans is going to rent out this crib at Bay Area market rates -- should bring in at least $2,000 a month.

Sent from my ZTE A2017U using Amtrak Forum mobile app
Maybe he booked it through an (errant) Air B&B site ??

Bty, I'm thinking the worst about the moisture stains on the outside of the enclosure...
default_huh.png

It's sad that in one of the wealthiest countries in the world, there are people who literally have to live on the roof of a train station.
George Carlin once offered a solution to our homeless living in the streets....

Through eminent domain, the Govt. moves all homeless camps to all of the Golf Courses, everywhere.
default_excl.png

It's sad that in one of the wealthiest countries in the world, there are people who literally have to live on the roof of a train station. That said, that is a pretty darn smart spot to 'set up shop'. Kudos to that man's creativity.
I have met various homeless people that quite simply just want to be free and not depend on others or a homeless shelter. It would be interesting to hear this man's story.

I have met various homeless people that quite simply just want to be free and not depend on others or a homeless shelter. It would be interesting to hear this man's story.
Most homeless people don't live like that just for fun. There's a difference between someone not wanting to be in a homeless shelter, and wanting to be homeless.

I hired a homeless woman last year. She was unreliable, temperamental, and did not work well with others. I was not able to keep her as a worker. For whatever reasons (she blamed abuse from foster parents...), she was simply not well-equipped to prosper in this world. I do not blame her, but could only go so far in helping her.

The specifics of the camp on the roof of the Amtrak station have been covered. Any further discussion of homelessness can take place in the Lounge.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back