Policy Update

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Been meaning to post this for a while but I've been very busy. Remember when last year I questioned the AGR MC policy regarding use of the card, if you attempted to do so somewhere that Chase didn't think you could... because you had not been there before? Remember how people became incensed when I DARED to question the sacred policy? I simply stopped using that card for a while. Well then....the policy was changed not long after that and I have not had a problem since, regardless of where or when I've used the card. And I've still not ever, ever called them to inform them of my travel plans. Yet it was easy to get a credit line increase when I needed one.

Happy New Year, everyone!!!!

I've had a couple of times with my Chase AGR card where Chase declined the transaction (not mine) because it was outside my usual usage pattern. Thanks Chase!

I've never had one of my own transactions denied. I do call when I anticipate using the card out of my home area.

Last edited by a moderator:
I've had a couple of times with my Chase AGR card where Chase declined the transaction (not mine) because it was outside my usual usage pattern. Thanks Chase!

I've never had one of my own transactions denied. I do call when I anticipate using the card out of my home area.
Ditto for Me! Chase had Done me Well over the Years! ;)

Um, what? I don't think Chase has ever prevented me from using any of their cards at any merchant anywhere in the world. Overall I've found working with Chase to be pretty easy. Much better than the likes of Wells Fargo. Although they both played a substantial role in helping to upend the entire country's economy to the tune of a trillion dollars of additional debt, so there's that.

I love it when people take a single data point and spin that into "policy".
I am not even sure what the "ha, you were wrong" part is.

I can only assume the OP travels frequently enough that the CC company assume any transactions made is ordinary for her account.

Reading that thread, I will bet that phone call she made after her AGR card was declined in DC cleared it for further use while traveling. Not that the policy changed and now CC can be used anywhere without consideration for possible fraud activities. I would be appalled if the latter happened.

On the one hand, Chase has been very good at detecting when my card (last year) was fraudulently used, contacting me for verification, and promptly issuing me a new card. On the other hand, they did say when queried that they wanted to be notified if I was going to be using my card outside my usual pattern (which is occasional in-country travels, and frequent online buying). I find they are remarkably good at knowing my pattern, and I appreciate the skill of the "fraud unit." And, like Devil, I wish that Jamie Dimon would not stick the country with the tab for his risk-taking. It's not like they don't know how to play it safe, but profit is a big lure, and losses can always be socialized, eh?

Some interesting occurrences with my Chase card:

Denied when trying to spend a few hundred dollars at a supermarket in Atlanta. We were visiting for grandson's birthday and I was paying for the food. Had to use another card. Turns out Chase texted me a notice asking if it was legitimate but I didn't notice the text until later. Can't blame them for that.

Chase recently sent me an email with a link offering to increase my limit with no credit check. Does that sound like a scam email or what? I logged on to my chase account manually then cut and paste the link (which did look legitimate in that it did go to Chase and was a secure connection). For all my other secure accounts, that would automatically take me to the right page w/o an additional login. Not with Chase. Still asked me to login. I searched the Chase web site for any place that would allow me to do what the email said and had no luck. So I called. They could not find it but said they could raise the limit and did so over the phone. The increase matched the email offer. I forwarded the email to Chase security and they replied verifying it was legitimate. Personally, I think sending offers that look like typical scam emails and that require one to click on the link is pretty dumb of Chase. The last thing a bank should do is look like a scammer. Better to have sent an email with the offer and encouraged the user to login manually - the safest way to insure one is not being scammed in an email.

The policy changed several months after the trip in question; obviously they unlocked the card during the trip when I called, but the policy change must have been the result of some unrelated internal review of their policies, because as I stated, it changed long afterwards and I received a generic letter describing the change.

For the most part, I've been more than happy with the card and the free travel it has gotten me. For customer service, account security and website, I still give the edge to Discover, as well as for how they did not (and maybe still don't, not sure) charge a foreign transaction fee while in Canada. Plus every once in a while it's nice to have the option of switching off from accumulating Amtrak points, and accumulate cash instead. But that's just me:)

"Chase recently sent me an email with a link offering to increase my limit with no credit check. Does that sound like a scam email or what? I logged on to my chase account manually then cut and paste the link (which did look legitimate in that it did go to Chase and was a secure connection). For all my other secure accounts, that would automatically take me to the right page w/o an additional login. Not with Chase. Still asked me to login. I searched the Chase web site for any place that would allow me to do what the email said and had no luck. So I called. They could not find it but said they could raise the limit and did so over the phone. The increase matched the email offer. I forwarded the email to Chase security and they replied verifying it was legitimate. Personally, I think sending offers that look like typical scam emails and that require one to click on the link is pretty dumb of Chase. The last thing a bank should do is look like a scammer. Better to have sent an email with the offer and encouraged the user to login manually - the safest way to insure one is not being scammed in an email."

To me_little_me:

Agreed, I've seen some legitmate Chase emails that looked oddly like spam, and the other side of the coin, they appear to be a favorite target of spammers and phishing emails. Like you I always forward to their abuse mailbox. On the bright side, the spams always contain errors or something else that doesn't look right.

MM

Back