Positive Train Control (PTC) installed?

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Woodcut60

Lead Service Attendant
Quote from Jim Loomis: All Aboard - The Complete North American Train Travel Guide (2011): "The new positive train control system (PTC) will be in place on all trains by 2015." What is the status of this system? Has it been installed on all trains? Just curious.

Quote from Jim Loomis: All Aboard - The Complete North American Train Travel Guide (2011): "The new positive train control system (PTC) will be in place on all trains by 2015." What is the status of this system? Has it been installed on all trains? Just curious.
The current deadline is the end of this year (2020) with some special dispensation from the FRA. At present all operations are legal under the current regulations, which means most routes that are designated to require PTC are operating under PTC and a few route routes designated to require PTC that are not doing so yet, have met certain basic requirements and have gotten an exception from the FRA to operate without PTC until the end of the year.

Couldn't find a general PTC thread to post this question on so picked this one. To those more in the know did I read correctly somewhere that MARC is using Amtrak's I-ETMS overlay for some diesel equipment that operates on a portion of the NEC? (while their electric locomotives are using ACSES II) I had heard about the overlay for Norfolk Southern tenant freights but never heard about a passenger tenant using it. Where is MARC running diesel locomotives on the NEC - are these for trains that extend to station stops outside of electrification? Not all that familiar with MARC as its not my backyard.

Last edited:
Couldn't find a general PTC thread to post this question on so picked this one. To those more in the know did I read correctly somewhere that MARC is using Amtrak's I-ETMS overlay for some diesel equipment that operates on a portion of the NEC? (while their electric locomotives are using ACSES II) I had heard about the overlay for Norfolk Southern tenant freights but never heard about a passenger tenant using it. Where is MARC running diesel locomotives on the NEC - are these for trains that extend to station stops outside of electrification? Not all that familiar with MARC as its not my backyard.
Most MARC trains use diesel locomotives, including those that operate entirely on the NEC. According to Wikipedia, they have 46 locomotives, with only 6 of those being electric.

MARC mostly runs diesels since only one out of their three lines has electrification, and even then they mostly run diesel since Amtrak charges so much to use it. They also had issues with the HHP-8 units until they were rebuilt and I think they've been doing much better. Those are the only electric ones they have. Diesels they have the MP36PH-3C and the Siemens Charger.

Back