POSSIBLE AMTRAK DERAILMENT INVOLVING VERMONTER

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Well there was a derailment, last night, no biggie apparently. The train hit an 18-wheeler at a grade croosing derailing the 4 passenger cars with 8 passengers and 5 crew members. Seems everything's normal now, exept busses are be used north of White River. For the full article, click here.

"The Vermont State Police “truck team” was called out late Wednesday night and was heading down to Sharon to reconstruct the accident and to look over the shattered wreckage of the truck itself for clues as to what might have caused the crash."

DUHHH! The truck driver drove across the tracks in front of a moving train. AFAIK, that is illegal in most states, especially if there is crossing protection such as flashing lights. :blink: :wacko:

I wouldn't be surprised if that was an unprotected crossing.

In many rural areas and private property, a simple "track crossing" sign is all that protects you from the train.

I hope this does not add to Amtrak's equipment woes, bad as they have been already since April. The Vermonter uses single level equipment, primarily Amfleet I. Usually there have been conventional coaches like on the NEC, but they may have been upgraded using former Metroliner equipment (that is, if it was not pulled back off the train to form Metroliners to substitute for Acela Express).

The Vermonter is one train that still makes an engine change at New Haven, although the dwell time is not as long because while the electric is taken off the front, a diesel is put on the rear. The train then operates in "push mode" to Palmer, MA (along the CSX Boston-Albany line) where it changes direction. The diesel (P-40) then pulls the train up the New England Central RR towards Vermont. This train has also been spotted at times with diesels on both ends, this way the engineer simply walks from one engine to the other in Palmer. So at least we know that the engineer was protected in this crash, in that he was in a diesel engine rather than a cab car.

It seems that the Vermonter will reguarlly run with 3 Amfleet I Acela Regional Coaches and a Metroliner Club/Dinette. Which brings up another point as to why Acela Regional coaches are being used on a train that is not a designated for "Acela Regional" train.

Well it's my opinon that the guys who build these consists at Washington don't really care what the outside of the car looks like. If it's an Amfleet I they'll put it on there. Not to mention the fact that the computer probably tells them what cars to get, and we all know it doesn't give a hoot what Phase paint the car is in.

Frankly, I could care less, but when a passenger gets on an Acela Regional from BOS-WAS thinking "newly refurbished" "comfortable" "lighter interior" but ends up with all unrefurbed Amfleet I's with "clogged toilets" "dirty interior"

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back