Possible new seating configurations

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mailliw

OBS Chief
So I just found this flexible seating layout from a British company and thought it looked really cool. I don't think any railroad has actually adopted it yet, but I think it looks like a great option for Amtrak's next generation of Business Class coaches and/or a premium long distance coach option. It even looks 2 seats could be configured as a berth for overnight travel. Thoughts?

So I just found this flexible seating layout from a British company and thought it looked really cool. I don't think any railroad has actually adopted it yet, but I think it looks like a great option for Amtrak's next generation of Business Class coaches and/or a premium long distance coach option. It even looks 2 seats could be configured as a berth for overnight travel. Thoughts?
I'm guessing from everyone's replies there is a video clip I'm not seeing......

I think it looks clever, and would be a big improvement, especially for families of 3+ traveling together. My only question is density. I would imagine 3 across would be max. But for BC on corridors or a BC sleeper alternative on LD - it would be nice.

Not sure that the benefits of these seat outweigh the cost and space needed.

Also here in the US the crash standards might be a issue.

That said if you could convert them to a sleeping area one way, and back to seating for 2-4 the other. You could have the trainset be a overnight sleeper train one way, then turn around as a daytime train in the other.
As the OP suggested(kind of).

Interesting link, Thank to the OP.

I think it looks cool and I like the way the seats "interlock" to create privacy, but I was waiting to see them turn into beds and that didn't happen. If this system created mini bedrooms I would like them more. Also I think these seats need a lot of room to turn and I am not sure you can get four across in a railcar.

Back