Possible Speed Restrictions for AT

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

battalion51

Engineer
I was tipped off by a source at Sanford yesterday that CSX is considering placing speed restrictions on Auto Train. He said that CSX officials were in the yard and loaded to Tri Level Carriers with test equipment. One official told him that CSX is considering placing a permanent 50 or 60 MPH slow order on Auto Train if results come back negatively. As soon as word comes down I will pass it along. The testing period is expected to last 1 month. Also keep in mind that if these orders are placed that they may be lifted next year when AT recieves its new carriers similiar to those that CSX uses.

That's right. I'm not sure if the maximum authorized for these carries is 70 MPH or what. Hopefully with the new carriers coming next year those speeds can be bumped up to 79 MPH.

Are those carriers going to be new or freight railroad hand-me-downs. Here is a photo of one they were testing in December 2001.

AMTAVCSANFLDEC27-01DIGI433.jpg

From what I know they should be new, similar to the one you saw tested. The car you saw is wedged between a bi and a van so I'd imagine all the cars will be simialr to the vans.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back