Possible Supplemental funding for Amtrak in COVID relief

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
As many are probably aware a bipartisan COVID relief plan has been released by several moderate Democratic and Republican senators to try to end the gridlock on COVID relief. The proposal is a $908 billion bill and it is now being used as a framework in leadership negotiations on Capitol Hill - the goal is to try to get an agreement by the end of next week and roll it into the final FY21 appropriations bills - a 1 week CR is expected this week to give them another week to iron this all out. The proposal which is being used as the framework includes funding for the transporation sector that is meant to fund operations through the end of March. Below are the numbers which were in an email from the Rail Passengers Association:

Bipartisan Coronavirus Relief Proposal – Transportation Sector: $45 billion

• Amtrak: $1 billion [Requested: $2.4 billion];
  • Transit: $15 billion [Requested: at least $32 billion];
  • Airlines: $17 billion – [Requested: $25 billion];
  • Airports: $4 billion – [Requested: $13 billion]
  • Private buses: $8 billion – [Requested: $10 billion]

Note that the $2.4 billion Amtrak requested was for FY21 supplemental funding as a whole - the $1 billion here is meant to fund operations for the first quarter of the year. Further aid could come later on if required.

RPA indicated that this would be sufficient to restore daily LD service, although I'm unclear if that is required with the funding, whether it has been stated by Amtrak management, or if it is just wishful thinking.

As many are probably aware a bipartisan COVID relief plan has been released by several moderate Democratic and Republican senators to try to end the gridlock on COVID relief.

A decent plan, I think. But, surprise of surprises--NOT--the senior Senator from Kentucky is being obstinate as usual. Maybe he is miffed because it was not the Congressional "leadership" that came up with a reasonable proposal.

Privately owned bus companies getting 8 times as much as Amtrak?!

Private bus companies don't get funding or grants like transit agencies or Amtrak does every year. They make their money off of charters and shuttle operations from whoever contracted with them. Both of their businesses have been decimated by the pandemic with no one riding to theme parks, no tours, field trips, or attractions.

The transportation portion of the upcoming Covid relief reconciliation bill includes 1.5 billion for Amtrak with instructions to recall furloughed employees and restore daily long distance service.
I really hope that daily service is restored. I have a credit to use. I was going to use it to travel to Chicago in October on the Lake Shore Limited for business, but the current days of operation just don't work for me.

The transportation portion of the upcoming Covid relief reconciliation bill includes 1.5 billion for Amtrak with instructions to recall furloughed employees and restore daily long distance service.
Not surprisingly Flynn has already said he expects to restore full service by June if he get $1.5 Billion. The deadline for full restoration in the bill unsurprisingly is July 1.

Not surprisingly Flynn has already said he expects to restore full service by June if he get $1.5 Billion. The deadline for full restoration in the bill unsurprisingly is July 1.
So do you think we will see restored daily service? And if so, what are the stands on traditional dining?

So do you think we will see restored daily service? And if so, what are the stands on traditional dining?
Honestly,food service will probably be one of the Last things that Amtrak modifies or changes due to contracts and recalling laid off staff!

I just hope the quality will improve, I don't see what was ever returning in the form we loved!

Honestly,food service will probably be one of the Last things that Amtrak modifies or changes due to contracts and recalling laid off staff!

I just hope the quality will improve, I don't see what was ever returning in the form we loved!
I don't even think I have ever experienced "the form we loved". And I dearly miss being able to sit down in the diner, with other people, and enjoy a decent meal.

Sadly, you are right. But I can dream...

Back