Post-vaccine Amtrak travel

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
When did "they" completely stop looking at those?
It depends on where you are traveling to and where from. I have traveled all of SE and S and NE Asia, Russia, China, quite a bit of the Middle East, most of Europe and North America and never even had a vaccine certificate of any sort after 1965. 1965 US required BCG certificate for travelers from India who were planning to stay in the US for more than a week.

But '70s through now, I have never needed a vaccination certificate, and no one has ever asked for one at any border crossing either. There have been recommendations for getting this that or the other vaccination before traveling to India, but when the recommender hears that I grew up in India till 1977, they basically say, don't bother.

Incidentally no one in the US will accept any blood donation from me unless in very dire straits, because I visit a Malaria endemic area every year.

The only cruise that I have ever taken in my life is from Helsinki to St. Petersburg, and they did not require anything for it. It was even a Russian Visa-free cruise since we overnighted on the Ship, leaving it only during daytime clearing immigration for the day each day.

I would think that a QR code or some such stamped on a passport page or similar document provided by the to Amtrak that contains en encrypted version of the passport number (or drivers licence information) ) intermixed with the date and location of the vaccination could be made to work for Amtrak and airlines.
Seems like my thought about vaccine and QR code as a "passport" or on one was not that far fetched:

CNN Article

Not allowing anyone without either a vaccination letter or a serum test result showing they are likely to have immunity would be easiest to administer. Even though that is not necessarily a 100% thing, it should be good enough.
All the healthcare workers I know who have received their first vaccination have been presented with a CDC card that shows when, where, which vaccine and by whom it was administered. I'm suggesting everyone hold onto such cards as they may be required for future travel (e.g. Amtrak, plane, ship).

I still have my old WHO "Yellow Card" which I intend to take with me when I get vaccinated.

As a participant in Pfizer's clinical trial, who received the placebo, I'm being offered the real thing at my next checkup in Feb.

I suspect that at least through 2021 proof of vaccination will be required for international flights to many countries.

https://www.cnn.com/2020/12/27/tech/coronavirus-vaccine-passport-apps/index.html
https://www.businesstraveller.com/b...ccinations-for-asia-travel-says-air-asia-ceo/
What will or will not be required in the US for domestic air travel is anyone's guess. At present for all practical purposes nothing is required. People seem to routinely get on flights with active COVID symptoms, and some even proceed to die on the flight. For some reason United seems to specialize in the latter....

Last edited:
If the vaccine is just 95% effective, and its effectiveness degrades over time, and it varies in different populations, and you need to be revaccinated periodically, not sure what a passport verification of vaccination will ultimately prove, other than a false sense of reassurance.
Understanding that all analogies are flawed, from an imunilogical perspective, vaccinations act like control rods in a nuclear reactor. Without control rods, the chain reaction runs out of control and you get a meltdown or pandemic in our case. As more control rods are inserted, the slower the chain reaction. As more people are vaccinated the less the disease spreads. In each case, the goal is to get the reaction or spread down to the point that either the reactor can dissipate the heat or the hospitals can cope with the new cases. Most vaccines are not 100% effective. That's not the goal. The goal is to get R as far below 1 as possible. For this to happen, as many people as possible must be vaccinated with whatever vaccine is availabe, be it 98% effective or 58% effective and everyone must continue other prevention measures.

For this reason I see proof of vaccination, masks, hand sanitizer, etc. being required for future Amtrak travel, just as yellow fever vaccination is required to travel to some countries.

P.S. and don't throw out nonsense statements like "It has a 98% survival rate." In the US Army being hit by a IED has a high "survival rate" too. Just how much do you want to spend the rest of your life missing major body parts? Sometimes "surviving" COVID is like surviving a run-in with a landmine.

If not already, it won't be long before we see some results from the vaccine in real time. I'm hoping those numbers stay in the 90+% bracket. I'm just counting the months till they get to us 80+ folk.

Understanding that all analogies are flawed, from an imunilogical perspective, vaccinations act like control rods in a nuclear reactor. Without control rods, the chain reaction runs out of control and you get a meltdown or pandemic in our case. As more control rods are inserted, the slower the chain reaction. As more people are vaccinated the less the disease spreads. In each case, the goal is to get the reaction or spread down to the point that either the reactor can dissipate the heat or the hospitals can cope with the new cases. Most vaccines are not 100% effective. That's not the goal. The goal is to get R as far below 1 as possible. For this to happen, as many people as possible must be vaccinated with whatever vaccine is availabe, be it 98% effective or 58% effective and everyone must continue other prevention measures.

For this reason I see proof of vaccination, masks, hand sanitizer, etc. being required for future Amtrak travel, just as yellow fever vaccination is required to travel to some countries.

P.S. and don't throw out nonsense statements like "It has a 98% survival rate." In the US Army being hit by a IED has a high "survival rate" too. Just how much do you want to spend the rest of your life missing major body parts? Sometimes "surviving" COVID is like surviving a run-in with a landmine.
I hit a Trip Wire on an IED in 69 in Vietnam. Lost an eye and nearly my legs. The pictures of over crowded Hospital Wards, suffering, and the life saving machines, bring back a lot of memories. The Anger I have towards the Fools who think they are Immune and think that suffering alone in a Hospital Bed is nothing is Staggering. Being deemed "Expendable" again, by a incompetent, self serving, Government is beyond Insane. "Surviving" can be a lifetime Battle. :mad: 😷😷

Georgia has screwed up vaccinations horribly. Understand on the state of West Virginia is the only state that has done vaccinations even half way correctly.

Georgia has screwed up vaccinations horribly. Understand on the state of West Virginia is the only state that has done vaccinations even half way correctly.
West Virginia also got one of the largest per capita allocations of vaccine among all the states. Maine did very well too. As did South Dakota.

West Virginia also got one of the largest per capita allocations of vaccine among all the states. Maine did very well too. As did South Dakota.
I've read that Louisiana is already permitting anyone over 70 to receive the vaccine. Not sure if that's a reality or just smoke and mirrors. Louisiana does have a history of smoke and mirrors.

I've read that Louisiana is already permitting anyone over 70 to receive the vaccine. Not sure if that's a reality or just smoke and mirrors. Louisiana does have a history of smoke and mirrors.
Florida is allowing 65+. Oddly the registration form does not even ask for age! It's the usual screwed up Flori-DUH setup. Our entire county has exactly one location for vaccination! Orange County next door is set up much much better.

Last edited:
Delaware initially was going to do 75+ for the 1b phase but after looking at the demographics of the deaths & serious illnesses lowered it to 65+ in order to provide equality to all races. 👍🏻

Florida is allowing 65+. Oddly the registration form does not even ask for age! It's the usual screwed up Flori-DUH setup. Our entire county has exactly one location for vaccination! Orange County next door is set up much much better.
Orange County (next door) only has one location also - the convention center (which some people have reported has misleading signs causing senior citizens to get lost).

The Texas Governor announced that lots of Medical Operations were " hoarding" the Vaccine on hand, and ordered that those in Catagory 1B ( over 65 and Essential Workers not in 1A)start receiving the Shots.

I cannot find anyplace in Austin that's doing this except one Public Health Clinic that has a Waiting List of over 200 and ran out of Vaccine Monday.

The more I learn about it the more convinced I get that it is a massive CF everywhere across the country. Even if doses are delivered to a state, the state DOH bureaucracy is paralyzed by internecine warfare within the various layers of the delivery chain to the final jab in the arm and things are merely trickling through at present.

Orange County (next door) only has one location also - the convention center (which some people have reported has misleading signs causing senior citizens to get lost).
I got the vaccine the 1st day at the Convention Center. I think the problem was that they vastly overestimated how quickly they could move people thru, so instead of turning in to the loading dock as expected, we were directed around the outside of the complex into a long line of cars snaking back and forth thru the pickup areas. It was a bit confusing, but considering it was the 1st attempt at something of this scale, I think they did good job of it.

It took about 2 1/2 hours to get to the vaccination station, but I'm not complaining. Seeing the news reports of seniors standing in line or camping overnight in other FL counties, I was quite happy to be waiting in the comfort of my car.

I probably spent at least an hour the night before entering my info over and over on the web site until I finally broke thru the error at the last step caused by overloading, and got an appointment. But I've been a Disney passholder for years, so I'm used to that. :)

I got the vaccine the 1st day at the Convention Center. I think the problem was that they vastly overestimated how quickly they could move people thru, so instead of turning in to the loading dock as expected, we were directed around the outside of the complex into a long line of cars snaking back and forth thru the pickup areas. It was a bit confusing, but considering it was the 1st attempt at something of this scale, I think they did good job of it.

It took about 2 1/2 hours to get to the vaccination station, but I'm not complaining. Seeing the news reports of seniors standing in line or camping overnight in other FL counties, I was quite happy to be waiting in the comfort of my car.

I probably spent at least an hour the night before entering my info over and over on the web site until I finally broke thru the error at the last step caused by overloading, and got an appointment. But I've been a Disney passholder for years, so I'm used to that. :)
I am glad you got your vaccination. I have "driving" anxiety - especially around the convention center and tourist areas. I live downtown and generally drive only a few miles a week. I am pretty healthy and feel that others probably should get the vaccine before I do, so I plan to wait until they are offered at locations closer to downtown.

I read here that some areas in the US do not have an adequate supply of syringes. Can this be true?
We will not start vaccinations here in Australia until March, more of a watch and wait thing. Also there is minimal COVID here, even with a recent outbreak. Outbreaks here are tiny compared with most of the world and come from the virus “escaping” from quarantine hotels where people who have recently returned from overseas are confined.
I could be wrong, but I have confidence vaccinations will go well here, when they do start.

I'm dying to hear General "whatever his name is" get back on the TV and explain the massive screw-up. Last week he was blaming the weather.

The problem with requiring vaccination for travel is finding the "sweet spot" for implementation date. If it's too early you will have even emptier trains and planes until the vaccination rate catches up, and those not yet allowed to receive the vaccine (as opposed to those who refuse it) could have a case for discrimination.

Of the major modes of transportation, Amtrak would have the easiest time imposing such a requirement - show ticket, show card, get on-board. However the airlines could be a minefield. Unless they are all forced by government to do so at the same time a mixed set of rules would exist. Then, who verifies vaccination when flying, the individual airline or an agency like the TSA? If the airline, then at what point - ticket purchase, check-in or boarding? How are connections handled? Not going to be easy.

For international flights just like visa requirements are different for different countries, health certificate requirements will be different for different countries, and just like for travel permits are checked before boarding, health permits will also be checked by airlines before boarding. They do it because they are on the hook at the arrival end for anyone that arrives without proper documentation, to haul them back to where they came from free of charge.

As for what will happen within the US, it is almost guaranteed that it will be a swcrewup of the first order. 🤷‍♂️

It was my understanding that the initial allotment was determined by population, not at-risk population or whether some place is a hot spot or not, just total population. How the population was determined is another story.

What a National Circus. The Ring Master has avowed to destroy it and the vaccinated Clowns up on the Hill are practicing their routines. The Florida Governor isn't much better, but to his credit. people are getting Shots. Here in NY it looks like a long time before either my wife or I qualify under Cuomos PC Plan. The VA, "says they will call me, when "its my time." Working on Plan to get back there as Snowbirds and Condo buyers, as soon as possible. Told my son to get in the Vaccine Line or my Bro in Law says come to 'The Villages'.o_O It's every Couple for Themselves.😷😷

If the moderators feel this should be moved to another thread, please do so.

It appears that we will have a COVID-19 vaccine in a few months although it will probably not be widely available for some time. A significant section of the population has indicated that they have no interest in receiving the vaccine.

So I am wondering how the availability of the vaccine will affect Amtrak travel (and perhaps travel in general). In a few months will people who have received the vaccine start traveling by Amtrak in large numbers? Will the likelihood that vaccinated passengers will be traveling on the same train with unvaccinated passengers discourage travel?

I listened to a conference call yesterday from an organization that is planning a national conference in-person in Arizona in May 2021. They expressed great confidence that the meeting will happen. I think they are way overconfident and I expect the meeting to be canceled or postponed.

There are many hiccups to be hiccup'ed in our presently devastated world; but always... and through all of it... there is a general human penchant for some kind of normalcy; despite attitudes that are always changing. Human civilization is constantly evolving... through wars, pandemics, droughts, etc. And as we adapt, so will Amtrak... because rail travel has promise; it is environmentally friendly, easy on fuel, and acts as a counter deterrent to highway clogging and congestion.

A friend sent out a humorous pictorial essay on this topic. Enjoy!

thumbnail.jpg

image011.jpg

image012.jpg

Back