Power strips in Roomettes

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Many posters to this site recommend bringing a small power strip to handle multiple devices, since the roomettes have only one outlet.

The ones without surge protection are considerably less expensive.

My question: Is the HEP power supply on the train more susceptible to power variances and surges than normal household supply?

Also, are there any suggestions out there for low cost but safe power strips? I see Jasco (GE branded) has a three-outlet one on Amazon for about $6 and up, depending on the cord length.

Thanks

Many posters to this site recommend bringing a small power strip to handle multiple devices, since the roomettes have only one outlet.

The ones without surge protection are considerably less expensive.

My question: Is the HEP power supply on the train more susceptible to power variances and surges than normal household supply?

Also, are there any suggestions out there for low cost but safe power strips? I see Jasco (GE branded) has a three-outlet one on Amazon for about $6 and up, depending on the cord length.

Thanks

These days, besides the power strip, one with a long enough cord, you will probably need a multiple USB connection device.

I don't use a power "strip" (protected or not). I bring a couple of household two-prong extension cords (6' and 9') with a three-way outlet on the end. Easier to pack than a strip. The two can be connected end-to-end if needed for greater length and more outlets.
Everything I bring on the train now days is USB powered and have not had a problem with "surges". My USB power adapters are all two or three USB outlets.

I don't use a power "strip" (protected or not). I bring a couple of household two-prong extension cords (6' and 9') with a three-way outlet on the end. Easier to pack than a strip. The two can be connected end-to-end if needed for greater length and more outlets.
Everything I bring on the train now days is USB powered and have not had a problem with "surges". My USB power adapters are all two or three USB outlets.
Very useful idea-two prong w/3 way outlet on one end-space saving for packing.

We bring the same extension cord with three prong pairs as @TinCan782 suggests. The only thing we plug in to it are phone chargers, which don't have ground prongs. I wouldn't waste space in my bag to bring a surge protector.

If you are in the Family Bedroom (Superliner), 6 foot might be a bit short; consider a 10-footer.

I've brought a power strip (with a standard, straight in, plug to avoid issues with the recessed sockets in some Superliner roomettes) for years. I put it behind the table bracket and tape down the cord to keep it out of the way. I also bring an extension cord that I plug into to the power strip to run around to the "step" to power my CPAP that sits on the step.

The power strip and extension cord are permanent occupants of my "toy bag" backpack and have been for many years.

Could these extension cords be used in the observation cars to charge devices while watching the view? I have no idea where the plug outlets are in an observation car. No one has posted any photos.
There are outlets every few feet on the upper deck of the Sightseer Lounges now. They are along the outer wall just below the windows, similar to the coaches. No need to bring an extension cord to the Sightseer.

I posted on Facebook about my wonderful power-strip-surge-protector, and received a reply that surge suppressors can overload the type of circuit breaker used on Amtrak. As a warning, I have heard that on-board staff will reset a circuit breaker once, but if it trips a second time they'll suspect a defect and not reset it. On my last trip, I just took a simple extension cord.

I posted on Facebook about my wonderful power-strip-surge-protector, and received a reply that surge suppressors can overload the type of circuit breaker used on Amtrak. As a warning, I have heard that on-board staff will reset a circuit breaker once, but if it trips a second time they'll suspect a defect and not reset it. On my last trip, I just took a simple extension cord.
Yeah. I have never used a surge protector on Amtrak and so far nothing has gotten destroyed by any surge, over the 45 years that I have traveled on Amtrak and used their onboard power.

I carry a simple, cheap, 6 foot, 3 prong, 3 socket extension cord in my bag. The key is the male end has to be straight vs right angle. Some years back, I encountered a non-refurbished Superliner I roomette that had the socket recessed about 2" in the head rest. At the time, I was using a simple cube-tap but the sides of the cube-tap (2 of the 3 outlets) would not clear the sides of the recessed socket.

In my opinion, anything with more than 3 outlets on it is a waste of packing space. There's no reason that cell phones need to have their USB charging cords dangling and taking up space when not in use. I have a 110v to 2 USB outlet transformer thing that suffices for my cell phone and bluetooth ear buds I use with my scanner. The other 2 110v outlets are then available for my laptop charger, rechargeable AA/AAA battery charger, and scanner recharging holder. Although I have more devices than extension cord sockets, I've never run out of sockets as I remove anything not in use.

While traveling in a Southwest Chief bedroom, we use a cheap, 2-prong, 9-foot white extension cord with a straight end. We only have two devices that need to be powered: our little Uniden SC230 scanner and a Garmin nuvi 2797 LMT GPS device, both of which have AC adaptors.

Last edited:
About those power strips with the SURGE protection - DO NOT plan on using on a cruise ship - ship is grounded differently
than household utilities or railroad outlets. On a cruise ship you will be walking the plank -
now about Amtrak maybe getting the boot off the aft end of the last car or thrown out of a baggage car door -
but it is low voltage -
triggering any circuit breakers - leave well enough alone.

Suggest powering only one major unit at a time -
USB you could power more than one but charging time may be longer -

Awaiting a report from an Amtrak Forum PHD Electrical Engineer -OR- AC/DC Conductor - LOL !

We've never used one and our laptops/phones/tablets have been fine. AC/DC power supplies these days are switch mode so can take a wide range of voltages, though their life can be shortened by wild fluctuations. I'm not an electrical engineer, but I would imagine they would still be delivering whatever the target DC voltage is as long as the input is somewhat acceptable (generally between ~100V and ~250V), so as long as you're OK possibly replacing the (probably cheap) power supply infrequently, you'll probably be fine. Over the years, we've never had to do this before the device itself just became obsolete.

I've brought a power strip (with a standard, straight in, plug to avoid issues with the recessed sockets in some Superliner roomettes) for years. I put it behind the table bracket and tape down the cord to keep it out of the way. I also bring an extension cord that I plug into to the power strip to run around to the "step" to power my CPAP that sits on the step.

The power strip and extension cord are permanent occupants of my "toy bag" backpack and have been for many years.
How have you now expanded/revised that "toy bag" for additional tech gear?

How have you now expanded/revised that "toy bag" for additional tech gear?
Well as far as electronics go it has not changed a lot. Scanner, earphones for scanner, tablet. Kindle, noise suppressing headphones. Also reference material like Canadian Trackside Guide, old Altamont Press railfan timetables, OTOL frequency printouts. Maybe a couple books.

Plus vodka and small bottles of tonic.😏

Back