Power's out - NEC - between NYP and NRO (12/16/15)

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
It is a Metro-North power issue in new catenary, so the usual old dilapidated infrastructure blah ... blah ... won;t work this time as an excuse.
I don't think it's a Metro North issue. It appears to be on the Amtrak-owned Hell Gate line (also refurbed catenary). MN New Haven line is reporting "Good Service."

Lord maybe they should just go Diesel on the NEC. Also maybe buy up all the old IC 125 from UK and replace it for the Acela. They were sure a nice ride when I was on them this past summer. Would solve the whole damn infastructure issue that keeps popping up.

Lord maybe they should just go Diesel on the NEC. Also maybe buy up all the old IC 125 from UK and replace it for the Acela. They were sure a nice ride when I was on them this past summer. Would solve the whole damn infastructure issue that keeps popping up.
If only. :p Then we'd have to run a fraction of the trains in/out of NYP because of the exhaust.

If only. :p Then we'd have to run a fraction of the trains in/out of NYP because of the exhaust.
I say big fans or everyone hold their breadth :)

Looks like they have something going on south of Washington, too. I'm sitting at WAS and they're reporting 94 to Boston being delayed. Looks like 2126 and 188 (my train) are ok, being that they only run WAS-NYP.

Looks like they have something going on south of Washington, too. I'm sitting at WAS and they're reporting 94 to Boston being delayed. Looks like 2126 and 188 (my train) are ok, being that they only run WAS-NYP.
94 got stuck behind a broken/possibly vandalized freight train between Richmond Main-St and Richmond Staples Mill. 67 terminated at RVR and 66 is going to originate in RVR. Shouldn't affect trains that didn't originate in NPN.

It is a Metro-North power issue in new catenary, so the usual old dilapidated infrastructure blah ... blah ... won;t work this time as an excuse.
I don't think it's a Metro North issue. It appears to be on the Amtrak-owned Hell Gate line (also refurbed catenary). MN New Haven line is reporting "Good Service."
It was a power feed problem for power that comes from Metro North. Either way it is all new gear.

It was a power feed problem for power that comes from Metro North. Either way it is all new gear.
I believe it was a Con Ed problem that started the ball rolling.

I was at Elizabeth, NJ on Wednesday during the disruption, the Boston Regionals tied up in the mess ended up coming through quite late, 171 being the worst- over 4 hours late. It seems they ran extra Acelas out of NYP for those going south on Acelas from Boston.

Another interesting run was Regional #186 being pulled by a P42: https://youtu.be/pwOWw69iXIY?t=45m30s

God, Con Ed again; it's got a really bad reputation, and I'm surprised there hasn't been a push to nationalize it. It would make sense for Amtrak to get some big solar panels from one of the big "zero money down" leasing companies, and some big backup batteries on the same terms.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back