Praise for the Crew of Auto Train #52 on January 28, 2020

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dakota 400

Engineer
Sanford to Lorton, Roomette 14, Car 5240 with SCA Holly. A welcome by her as she was standing by the sleeper's door when I boarded with directions as to which direction to turn to get to my Roomette. An initial PA welcome and introduction prior to the train's departure. After all of the passengers had boarded (I assume), Holly provided the most detailed and informative introduction to my Amtrak trip that I have ever experienced. Her PA announcements (as well as those of the Conductor) were clear and easy to hear. Before we left Sanford, she visited each Compartment providing additional information and clearly answering my questions since this was my first Auto Train experience. Arriving in Lorton, Holly helped me off the train and showed appreciation for my gratuity twice after detraining and again in the Station while we were both waiting for our cars to be unloaded.

I chose to start my "Happy Hour" in the Lounge Car prior to the train leaving Sanford. (I did so because I wanted to do some easy sightseeing from both sides of the train has we headed North. Plus. a bottle of wine seemed to be a good "bon voyage" start to another travel adventure.) Beth was the Lounge Car's attendant was very friendly, helpful, willing to engage in conversation and also was very informative about the Auto Train as well as some of the trips on which she has worked.

The Dining Car's staff's attitude was welcoming and helpful. Service was prompt and efficient. After dinner, with another bottle of wine to consume, I retreated to the Lounge Car. Returning to 5240 walking through the Diner, I was impressed that the Stewards were finishing the tables for the early morning breakfast before our arrival at Lorton. Whomever the chef was in the Diner, he/she was proficient in preparing our dinner. My Flat Iron Steak was delicious as was the salad and the sides.

My experience on this Amtrak trip was the best that I have experienced since the Winter of 2002. Since 2002, I have had other pleasant Amtrak journeys. This was the best from the standpoint of service and positive attitudes of the train's staff.

Sanford to Lorton, Roomette 14, Car 5240 with SCA Holly. A welcome by her as she was standing by the sleeper's door when I boarded with directions as to which direction to turn to get to my Roomette. An initial PA welcome and introduction prior to the train's departure. After all of the passengers had boarded (I assume), Holly provided the most detailed and informative introduction to my Amtrak trip that I have ever experienced. Her PA announcements (as well as those of the Conductor) were clear and easy to hear. Before we left Sanford, she visited each Compartment providing additional information and clearly answering my questions since this was my first Auto Train experience. Arriving in Lorton, Holly helped me off the train and showed appreciation for my gratuity twice after detraining and again in the Station while we were both waiting for our cars to be unloaded.

I chose to start my "Happy Hour" in the Lounge Car prior to the train leaving Sanford. (I did so because I wanted to do some easy sightseeing from both sides of the train has we headed North. Plus. a bottle of wine seemed to be a good "bon voyage" start to another travel adventure.) Beth was the Lounge Car's attendant was very friendly, helpful, willing to engage in conversation and also was very informative about the Auto Train as well as some of the trips on which she has worked.

The Dining Car's staff's attitude was welcoming and helpful. Service was prompt and efficient. After dinner, with another bottle of wine to consume, I retreated to the Lounge Car. Returning to 5240 walking through the Diner, I was impressed that the Stewards were finishing the tables for the early morning breakfast before our arrival at Lorton. Whomever the chef was in the Diner, he/she was proficient in preparing our dinner. My Flat Iron Steak was delicious as was the salad and the sides.

My experience on this Amtrak trip was the best that I have experienced since the Winter of 2002. Since 2002, I have had other pleasant Amtrak journeys. This was the best from the standpoint of service and positive attitudes of the train's staff.
Sounds great for Sleeper passengers, not so great for the Coach folks eh?!!

Thanks for that report. I'm hoping my first experience in a sleeper will be just as delightful.
Do you have any pictures of the accommodations that you can share, including the new amenities?
Thanks!
ET:)

Thanks for that report. I'm hoping my first experience in a sleeper will be just as delightful.
Do you have any pictures of the accommodations that you can share, including the new amenities?
Thanks!
ET:)

No, I don't have any pictures. I took only the bare essentials onboard and left my camera in one of my pieces of luggage in the car. There were no new amenities available that was described in another thread.

Back