Pre-Gathering report

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

amtrakwolverine

Engineer
Off work at 10Pm home by 10:20PM. Up till 3am packing and figuring out what I´m going to take. Took a nap till 7am since the cab was set to come by 8am. i tried to just stay up till 7am but sleep won out. Cab arrived a few minutes before 8am. Ran into bad bumper to bumper traffic on one freeway so the driver got off and took the main roads to the other freeway that would take us right to the airport. That freeway also had some traffic issues but not as bad and we got through it and arrived at the airport at about 8:50AM for my 10:40AM departure.

Curbed checked my one suitcase and tipped a dollar. Security went fine. not busy so didn´t have to wait long. Boarding started at 10:10AM and I grabbed a exit row seat that does not have a seat in front of me. I still had a window to look out of too. Flight departed on time and once at 10,000 feet announced we could use out electronic devices on airplane mode. Attendants came by and took drink orders and passed out real snacks. i had a package of ritz cheese sandwich crackers and a 100 calorie pack of trail mix. I had a dr pepper early on then tried a baileys Irish cream. it was ok. You could taste the Irish whiskey in it which was strong.

Arrived in PHX ontime so had a 3 hour wait for my connecting flight. At 2:30pm they started pre-boarding and Business select boarding. I represented the first of the Business select people so the Gate keeper handed the boarding pass back to me and told me to hand it to the flight attended to let them know that Business select had started boarding.Flight departed ontime and I think i got one of the planes in the new livery. I noticed that the underside of the wings were white instead of the normal red and blue and the paint looked fresh. It was a 737-300. landed at OAK about 5 minutes early and found the cab driver waiting.

Grabbed my bag and proceeded to the hotel. Cab charged a extra $11.83 that was not mentioned on the website. After inspecting the room I went to the MacArthur BART for a 1 station ride to test the card since i added money online it was i need to tap it at a card reader to activate it and you have to tap to exit so went for a little ride. Walked the 1.5 miles back to the hotel stopping at a carls jr right next door to the hotel and got a big carl with a large fry and drink. That´s it for this report. I was a good boy I did not recline my seat on the plane the whole way. My luggage was 1 rolling suitcase 1 backpack and my camera bag.

Was the $11.83 the automatically included gratuity you mentioned earlier? If not, I'd call the cab company to inquire about it.

Off work at 10Pm home by 10:20PM. Up till 3am packing and figuring out what I´m going to take. Took a nap till 7am since the cab was set to come by 8am. i tried to just stay up till 7am but sleep won out. Cab arrived a few minutes before 8am. Ran into bad bumper to bumper traffic on one freeway so the driver got off and took the main roads to the other freeway that would take us right to the airport. That freeway also had some traffic issues but not as bad and we got through it and arrived at the airport at about 8:50AM for my 10:40AM departure.

Curbed checked my one suitcase and tipped a dollar. Security went fine. not busy so didn´t have to wait long. Boarding started at 10:10AM and I grabbed a exit row seat that does not have a seat in front of me. I still had a window to look out of too. Flight departed on time and once at 10,000 feet announced we could use out electronic devices on airplane mode. Attendants came by and took drink orders and passed out real snacks. i had a package of ritz cheese sandwich crackers and a 100 calorie pack of trail mix. I had a dr pepper early on then tried a baileys Irish cream. it was ok. You could taste the Irish whiskey in it which was strong.

Arrived in PHX ontime so had a 3 hour wait for my connecting flight. At 2:30pm they started pre-boarding and Business select boarding. I represented the first of the Business select people so the Gate keeper handed the boarding pass back to me and told me to hand it to the flight attended to let them know that Business select had started boarding.Flight departed ontime and I think i got one of the planes in the new livery. I noticed that the underside of the wings were white instead of the normal red and blue and the paint looked fresh. It was a 737-300. landed at OAK about 5 minutes early and found the cab driver waiting.

Grabbed my bag and proceeded to the hotel. Cab charged a extra $11.83 that was not mentioned on the website. After inspecting the room I went to the MacArthur BART for a 1 station ride to test the card since i added money online it was i need to tap it at a card reader to activate it and you have to tap to exit so went for a little ride. Walked the 1.5 miles back to the hotel stopping at a carls jr right next door to the hotel and got a big carl with a large fry and drink. That´s it for this report. I was a good boy I did not recline my seat on the plane the whole way. My luggage was 1 rolling suitcase 1 backpack and my camera bag.
Is Business Select worth the extra cost on SWA?

Is Business Select worth the extra cost on SWA?
For the $40 fee they charge I would think not as you get no better seat in terms of comfort. When I use to fly Southwest, even when I was in the C Group or whatever they call the final group now I never had trouble finding a decent seat or stowing my grip in the overhead.

But I understand you get a free "Premium" Drink for that $40 vig :p

To me, as a person that doesn't usually drink liquor... it depends on how desperately you want a particular seat. For an aisle seat on a flight where by my priorities I *have* to be off ASAP after arrival, if I can afford the difference, I'd do it. Usually I'm fine with the Earlybird Checkin option, since the auto checkin at exactly 24 hours out is my priority, so I don't have to worry about if I'll be on break at work right at the 24 hours before point.

The business select fair not only gets you the A 1-15 boarding position and a coupon for a free premium drink. You get fly by security access at select airports so you get through faster. You still have to take your shoes,belt,jacket etc off but its not as crowded so you get through quicker. you also have fly by lane access at the ticket counter so your not waiting in line as fast. Also more points.

Back