Pre-Selection of Meals

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A few months ago when I tried to use Amtrak's site it was not possible to make sense of it, so I ended up phoning, after leaving a comment at the site about the problems I had. Over a year earlier when I'd last use the site I did not have those problems.

I've groused about the incompetent way their webpage is coded for ages. It's a major hassle just to see if a trip is possible. All the dropdown selections, cutesy Javalike scripts, huge amounts of whitespace so you are constantly scrolling about. Oh wow! Just like American Airlines' pages!

I need a web page which can display my queries, allow changes - try to change a date after you have selected a route and found that no sleepers are available that day - even something like after selecting a route and a date, an indications that seats or sleepers are or are not available, so you know how to proceed.

But I am guessing the paid by the line script kiddies - sorry - "coders" get all wrapped around the axle at their idea of esthetics in their final product.

I usually do as much research as I can then call AMTRAK on the phone, even though it is usually 30-45 minutes waiting to speak to an agent after repeatedly spurning "Julie"'s advances. Their agents are generally very good at getting you what you want, once you can get to speak to one.

The worst part is when you are booking a trip with two trains and you can't compare accommodation prices on the first segment without having to go to the second segment. Absolutely moronic.

The worst part is when you are booking a trip with two trains and you can't compare accommodation prices on the first segment without having to go to the second segment. Absolutely moronic.
It seemed to me you can't even get the accommodation charges broken out by segment unless they are different types (Superliner versus Viewliner). I know on a Everett-New York test booking I couldn't see accommodation charges by segment when I chose the Capitol Limited routing. It just said "Superliner roomette" and bundled both the EB and the Capitol accommodation charges together.

Each iteration of the Amtrak website gets worse.

It seemed to me you can't even get the accommodation charges broken out by segment unless they are different types (Superliner versus Viewliner). I know on a Everett-New York test booking I couldn't see accommodation charges by segment when I chose the Capitol Limited routing. It just said "Superliner roomette" and bundled both the EB and the Capitol accommodation charges together.

Each iteration of the Amtrak website gets worse.
Yep, I wanted to look at the price for both legs on my upcoming NYP-FUL trip via the Cardinal and SWC. Just gives me the price for the full thing, not segments.

Yep, I wanted to look at the price for both legs on my upcoming NYP-FUL trip via the Cardinal and SWC. Just gives me the price for the full thing, not segments.
When I chose the LSL I was able to get an accommodation charge breakout because they were different types. Even though it was straight through, I used the multi City option with just 1 segment (EVR-NYP) because you can get a bit more detail using that option. I think I had to use the details drop down to get the breakout.

I can't express how much I hate the current iteration of the website now, though. 🤬

Back