Price Differences

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Keith1951

Service Attendant
I went to check and see if the price of my future trip has dropped. When I input CLE to CHI on the LSL on Apr 28, 2022 the price is $96 in coach for 2 seniors. When I input CHI to EMY on the CZ on Apr 29, 2022 the price is $1066 with a superliner bedroom for 2 seniors. Now, when I combine the segments using multi-city the price jumps to $2581. I did this 3 times to make sure I am not making a mistake and the pricing is the same. Before I call Amtrak and stay on hold Im asking this forum if anyone knows why this is??? Thank you.

I suspect you're going to have to call and get Amtrak to explain. Ask for 'agent' once you get the robo-Julie.

I went to check and see if the price of my future trip has dropped. When I input CLE to CHI on the LSL on Apr 28, 2022 the price is $96 in coach for 2 seniors. When I input CHI to EMY on the CZ on Apr 29, 2022 the price is $1066 with a superliner bedroom for 2 seniors. Now, when I combine the segments using multi-city the price jumps to $2581. I did this 3 times to make sure I am not making a mistake and the pricing is the same. Before I call Amtrak and stay on hold Im asking this forum if anyone knows why this is??? Thank you.
That bedroom price is for the Family bedroom. A bedroom is showing as $2440. (CHI-EMY)

Well, I just ran your date, April 29th, and the prices have changed a bit from what you quote. But you save a lot of money by taking a Family Bedroom on the CZ. Bedroom accommodation charge is $2037, Family Bedroom accommodation charge is $662. You can a couple hundred more by dropping to a Roomette on the LSL ($310). The whole trip can come in at $1512 for 2 with a LSL roomette and CZ Family Bedroom.

Well, I just ran your date, April 29th, and the prices have changed a bit from what you quote. But you save a lot of money by taking a Family Bedroom on the CZ. Bedroom accommodation charge is $2037, Family Bedroom accommodation charge is $662. You can a couple hundred more by dropping to a Roomette on the LSL ($310). The whole trip can come in at $1512 for 2 with a LSL roomette and CZ Family Bedroom.
I already have a reservation for CLE to EMY for $1290 that I booked months ago. I was just seeing if I could get a better price. And I see a better price if I book them in single segments. CLE to CHI for $96 coach and CHI to EMY superliner BR for $1066....that comes to $1162.....or....for some reason $2581 if I was to combine them which I will not. I will call them and see if I can get the $1162 price by booking the segments separately.

I already have a reservation for CLE to EMY for $1290 that I booked months ago. I was just seeing if I could get a better price. And I see a better price if I book them in single segments. CLE to CHI for $96 coach and CHI to EMY superliner BR for $1066....that comes to $1162.....or....for some reason $2581 if I was to combine them which I will not. I will call them and see if I can get the $1162 price by booking the segments separately.
That $1066 is the family bedroom downstairs. Is that what you want?

If you touch your reservation, you will likely get repriced at the current bedroom accommodation charge of $2037. I don't know what you trying to do in combining segments if you are happy with your reservation, but fussing with it will likely only cost you money. Touching an existing reservation will almost always cause a reprice to the current bucket, no matter what bucket you initially bought.

If the Family Bedroom is cheaper, and it currently is, you will get the cheaper price if you switch to that, but you will also be in a downstairs Family Bedroom minus the private toilet and shower facilities that come with a Bedroom

That $1290 is likely lowest bucket for a Bedroom plus two rail fares on the CZ. @niemi24s' chart shows $996 as low bucket, inclusive of 1 adult rail fare, second lowest bucket is $1276, which wouldn't allow for the second rail fare. You got a good deal. And it is well and truly gone now.

Last edited:
If you book the segments separately, you run the risk of losing the Guaranteed connection. Not worth the $$ savings in my opinion...

If you book the segments separately, you run the risk of losing the Guaranteed connection. Not worth the $$ savings in my opinion...
Plus if you drop a segment from the original reservation, it'll be repriced. Overall a bad idea. However, if the OP wants to modify the reservation to shift to the cheaper Family Bedroom, that is another thing. He'll be able to have the agent do the modification on the existing reservation without disturbing the connection, although he'll lose the (relatively) cheap Bedroom he got.

Thank you everyone for your input. I know see where I messed up. When I saw $1066 under rooms, I jumped to conclusions and didnt follow thru with the different types of rooms. I will keep the reservation I already have.

Back