Private Car Pair on Amtrak #5(21)

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
On the California Zephyr departing Chicago on June 9, there will be 4 private cars: Catalpa Falls, Berlin, Cimarron River, & Super Dome.

Turned out to be three cars. I caught #5(09) with Salisbury Beach, Super Dome, and Berlin. Looked like the entire consist of the Zephyr was in reverse order so the transition dorm connected to the PVs. The train stopped here for a bit because of a dragging equipment report from a defect detector east of town. Sounded like it was an air hose on the end of Berlin.

20230609_194954.jpg

20230609_194958.jpg

20230609_195007.jpg

Turned out to be three cars. I caught #5(09) with Salisbury Beach, Super Dome, and Berlin. Looked like the entire consist of the Zephyr was in reverse order so the transition dorm connected to the PVs. The train stopped here for a bit because of a dragging equipment report from a defect detector east of town. Sounded like it was an air hose on the end of Berlin.
Those are excellent pictures you took of our train!

I was on the private cars. My roomette was supposed to be aboard the Cimarron River, but was in the Salisibury Beach instead. Salisbury Beach was a last minute addition to the train as the Cimarron River was bad ordered. Catalpa Falls stayed in Chicago and was only part of the private car charter from New York City to Chicago. The equipment that was dragging was the hose that was connected to the air horn for reverse moves. It had been improperly secured in Chicago and was knocked loose by the Berlin's coupler.

We left New York City on Wednesday, June 7, behind the Cardinal with the Catalpa Falls and Salisbury Beach. We overnighted in Chicago at the Omni Hotel on the 8th and left Chicago behind the California Zephyr on June 9, with the Berlin, Super Dome, and Salisbury Beach. We arrived in Emeryville on Sunday, June 11. The return trip left Emeryville on Monday, June 19, with arrival into Chicago on Wednesday, June 21, and New York on Friday, June 23. Most of the people on the private charter were traveling to and from the National N Scale Convention, which was held in Reno from June 13-18.

Catalpa Falls (1949) Lounge:
catalpa_lounge.jpg

Salisbury Beach (1954) Roomette:
salisbury_roomette.jpg

Sunrise in the Super Dome (1952):
sunrise_dome.jpg

Arriving into Burlington, IA:
dome_burlington.jpg

Catalpa Falls & Salisbury Beach in Washington Union Station:
dc_pvs.jpg

Last edited:
Back