Private cars

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Keith1951

Service Attendant
I have a question. Its probably not feasible, but I just want to know if it could be. I am with a group going to a wedding in LA next year. Someone brought up the idea of riding Amtrak together in a private car. I have heard of them but dont know any particulars. Can someone help me understand about them or where I can find info on prices and what is the process needed to book one, if they are for rent/lease? Its probably a long shot, but at least I will find out about it. Thank you.

Browse around in the section - Other Rail Forums - Private Railcar Movements & Travel
There are cars that can be rented for travel between major Amtrak cities.
The cars have to be Amtrak certified.
I don't think that Amtrak has any spare rolling stock for private trips - But what do I know
and when did I know it. You would not want to rent a car from Amtrak that does not have
ample space for a party activity i.e. a sleeper for instance would not work well at all - maybe a sight seeing lounge cafe car ?

And then there are Private Varnish cars to be rented - some are really outstanding with all
the bells buzzers whistles booze meals and other creature comforts.

What city pairs are your party travel plans ?
How many guests in your party ?
What type of services are you expecting ?

This will be an awesome task to pull off but well remembered and rewarding !

I have a question. Its probably not feasible, but I just want to know if it could be. I am with a group going to a wedding in LA next year. Someone brought up the idea of riding Amtrak together in a private car. I have heard of them but dont know any particulars. Can someone help me understand about them or where I can find info on prices and what is the process needed to book one, if they are for rent/lease? Its probably a long shot, but at least I will find out about it. Thank you.
Welcome to AU, Great idea if you can afford it!( It's Very Expensive!!!)

One of our AU Members, Seaboard92 is a Private Car Owner and has worked on many Private Cars also.( he is also a Flight Attendant).

You might want to PM him here on AU, he'll be glad to give you info and help when he has the time!

check out the website of the American Association of Private Railroad Car Owners --- www.aaprco.com. That should give you plenty of information. There are a number of private car owners who would provide the service you deserve. Be prepared to shell out a lot of money, though.

Where are you wanting to depart from? You will have to go on an Amtrak route but there are several wonderful cars in the Chicago area. I would highly suggest the cars owned by the friends of the 261!

Depending on the number of days and the number of cars I’m sure you’re talking in the $10-30,000 range but you can split those costs and have the trip of a lifetime!

Besides charters from Los Angeles, he sometimes has LA to San Diego trips. Also, not a private car, but a fun trip from LA is take Amtrak California from LA to San Luis Obispo. Depending on size of group, get a limousine for wine tasting tour, or for a larger group walk the downtown (and taste wine).

LA Rail

We have looked into private car travel and in today's Amtrak system it appears that private car trips may be available only for point to point service. Last one we ran into was about 7 years ago. It was a two car consist at the end of the California Zephyr. It had a vintage sleeper and an observation lounge car. Due to the limited accommodations the trip prices were something like $5,000-$7,000. If Amtrak ever entered into an agreement to stack their consists with sleepers (like the old Pullman service)and open everything to the train we may see better pricing and more sleeper availability.

Where are you wanting to depart from? You will have to go on an Amtrak route but there are several wonderful cars in the Chicago area. I would highly suggest the cars owned by the friends of the 261!

Depending on the number of days and the number of cars I’m sure you’re talking in the $10-30,000 range but you can split those costs and have the trip of a lifetime!

I agree with you on those cars those are phenomenal. I also know that they have done wedding charters in the past in the Cedar Rapids which is a beautiful art deco observation car.

Besides charters from Los Angeles, he sometimes has LA to San Diego trips. Also, not a private car, but a fun trip from LA is take Amtrak California from LA to San Luis Obispo. Depending on size of group, get a limousine for wine tasting tour, or for a larger group walk the downtown (and taste wine).

LA Rail

It is sad that Richard Anderson killed off most of their business because LA Rail is a shadow of it's former self. Before Amtrak's nonsense you had three great day use cars based in LAX. Now all that is left is Norm's Tioga Pass which can do about 12 in high capacity day mode which isn't ideal to most wedding parties being something larger than that. Now he does have a great car I've enjoyed my time with the owner Norm as well. Great guy.

Welcome to AU, Great idea if you can afford it!( It's Very Expensive!!!)

One of our AU Members, Seaboard92 is a Private Car Owner and has worked on many Private Cars also.( he is also a Flight Attendant).

You might want to PM him here on AU, he'll be glad to give you info and help when he has the time!

You knew I would show up didn't you. I am always happy to help. I'm off till Monday so if you send me a message before then I can get on it right away and draw up a basic estimate for you. I'll happily do it after Monday as well but I'll be on duty till Friday and generally I don't get around AU till I get back home because I'm out exploring wherever I am, or sleeping.

Back