Problem with a group booking

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

quilttours

Train Attendant
I had a group scheduled for this year and had to cancel the trip because the event canceled. I did get most of the money returned along with a 5000.00 voucher. Now I am trying to reschedule this group and I have run into so many road blocks. I had to wait 11 months out to make reservation, then told I couldn't get enough rooms for my group, then they gave me the number i needed. I then had to wait until 11 months out for return trip. They couldn't give me the amount of rooms I needed. Not that they didn't have them, but that the new rules were that groups couldn't get that many rooms...so we have been trying to get around this, with so many problems. I have been working on this since July 3. I have gone through 5 different people in the group reservations. I have offered this trip to my group for over 10 years...I have never had so many problems with my reservation. I had to call with a question last week, only to be told that the routes I had booked are now not offered as they went to a reduced schedule...but no call...I have a whole trip to put together, itinerary, hotels, reservations...and not one call from Amtrak telling me my dates will have to change. I am about to cancel the whole event which is about 23,000.00 for Amtrak tickets. If I do that, i have that 5000.00 voucher and I am not sure I will ever be able to do an Amtrak group trip as I am limited to 12 rooms, which leaves 22 paying guests at my end. Most buses hold 50-55 passengers. I will be going in the hole or having to charge way too much for a trip. Please reconsider your criteria for groups, we need to have at least 30 people - so 16 sleeping rooms would be my minimum. Now I am forced to add two days to my trip with the new schedule, I don't have enough rooms on my return and will need to get public tickets if they are even available with the reduced service. I am stuck waiting for my email from Amtrak and the lead said she would put the rates - in hopes they didn't change from my original booking as they said they wouldn't. they also said the letter went out three days ago, but when researching it, they had someone used a wrong email...I am worried....do you think that customer service would refund my voucher in cash?

This group is independent from Amtrak.

Amtrak's bosses are in Congress.

Please write to your SENATORS and CONGRESSMEN and tell them that Amtrak's recent changes to less-than-daily service and their recent restrictions on group travel have cost them $23,000 in bookings.

The more Senators hear about how stupid and money-losing this less-than-daily service is, the more pressure they will put on Amtrak to reverse it.

There is a bill which passed the House of Representatives requiring the immediate restoration of daily service. It is being blocked in the Senate by Republican leader Mitch McConnell.

Please tell your story to Congress. You can contact them using this form (just replace the text with your personal story):

https://www.votervoice.net/NARPRAIL/Campaigns/74759/Respond

Back