Prodigal daughter returns

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pianocat

Lead Service Attendant
Hi all. Some of you may remember me from years past, some may wish to not remember me but that’s fine! Anyway, I’m glad to see the site is still up and running and current and productive, after a few years away, myself. These days, I still mostly dream about taking Amtrak again - it won’t be a reality for me until things calm down considerably, aka vaccine well in place, etc. But oh how I’ve dreamed of taking those LD trains again as I did a few years back. I have to admit that some of the most peaceful, meditative moments of my life occurred in a roomette somewhere in the great expanse of either the SWC, EB, or CZ routes. Nature and me, alone through a large picture window. I was scheduled to take SWC to CA in late March 2020 but had to cancel it due to the virus, so I’d just about made it back to trains in time before the world fell apart. But I still am hopeful for the day when I can feel safe booking this again. I miss the train so much! Hoping my friends from before, here, are well, and that Amtrak will benefit from the new administration coming up. For now, remembering those awesome trips is about the best I’m going to get. Peace to all.

Welcome back! I have taken Amtrak for over 10,000 miles this year, but I have paused my travel as well as the pandemic has gotten much worse. My hope is that the Biden Administration is a smashing success and manages Corona to a point where normal life resumes next summer.

Welcome back!
I took a pleasure trip in late Sept before things started getting really bad again. I did a same day turnaround to Denver via the Cardinal & Zephyr. It was so nice to get away and just relax and enjoy the scenery. And visit with a fellow AUer in Denver.
I hope things get better soon so everyone will feel safe traveling again.

Welcome back from me, too. It's hard for me not to dream of my next trip, but like you, I'm waiting for the vaccine (as well as a dramatic reduction in cases) before I go to visit family back east. When my sister feels it's safe for me to cross the country and then walk into her house, I'll be right back on the train!

I used to travel long loop trips on Amtrak every year. My 2020 trip set for late May had to be canceled. I am not fearing travel on Amtrak, but in the cities I might go things are bad or closed. So like so many who travel Amtrak, I have had to put on hold all my travels. I did try the Eagle in Coach going from Dallas to Austin, just because the opportunity was there. Was nice to have a seat neXt to you, I brought my own snacks and drinks, also wore my mask as an extra precaution the whole trip (due to my health, had I not, my daughter, an RN on a COVID floor, would have disowned me). The trip was comfortable and very enjoyable, even wearing the mask the whole day.

Welcome back! I think we are all feeling the absence of train travel as part of the normal life that we've lost, at least at the moment. I, too, had a long trip booked for this past spring, including a reprise of my first LD train, the Empire Builder, and a new (to me) train, the Cardinal. So sad to have missed that trip, but looking forward to a time when we can return to doing the things we love with the people we love.

Back