Project to replace the LAB in Albany

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

jis

Chief Dispatcher
Staff member
Administator
Gathering Team Member
Work is slated to0 start on replacing the Livingston Ave. Bridge (LAB) in Albany that is used by Amtrak to cross the Hudson just north of the Albany Rensselaer Amtrak station. Work is slated to begin in 2023 to be completed by 2026.

Here is an article about it:

jis

Chief Dispatcher
Staff member
Administator
Gathering Team Member
This will certainly help otp. Iirc this bridge has malfunctioned on occasion. I read one trip report where an eastbound passenger train detoured on the freight line and crossed the Hudson south of Rensselaer and then backed into the station.

The bridge sits on pilings placed right after the Civil War, and the current bridge is 120 years old. It is time. As far as I know it is restricted to very slow speeds, and one train at a time, which hurts, since we finally got the area west of the bridge double tracked again.

It looks from some of the drawings that the bridge is being rebuilt in the exact same location (rather than slightly to one side or the other), suggesting the old one will have to go first rather than remaining in service during construction. I wonder if any temporary measures will be taken to improve Amtrak's access to the freight bridge.

joelkfla

Conductor
It looks from some of the drawings that the bridge is being rebuilt in the exact same location, suggesting the old one will have to go first rather than being "twinned" during construction. I wonder if any temporary measures will be taken to improve Amtrak's access to the freight bridge.
IIRC, the article said it would be built just south of the existing bridge.