Propane on Amtrak

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Tim_Metra

Train Attendant
I am planning a trip to Glacier National Park in 1 -2 years. I think I should be allowed to have small bottles of Propane as checked luggage. Camping Propane Bottles are safer then gun ammo. If we are going to allow dangerous items why should my rights be limited by an Amtrak rule, gun owners do not think that theirs should be?

I am planning a trip to Glacier National Park in 1 -2 years. I think I should be allowed to have small bottles of Propane as checked luggage. Camping Propane Bottles are safer then gun ammo. If we are going to allow dangerous items why should my rights be limited by an Amtrak rule, gun owners do not think that theirs should be?
The issue is that if one of those bottles were to ever develop a leak, a very dangerous situation could develop before anyone realized what was going on. I'd dispute that ammunition is less safe than propane - properly packed, it's pretty much impossible for ammunition to ignite. Not so for propane.

That being said, both are prohibited from Amtrak checked or carry-on baggage, as indicated here.

I would think you can purchase some propane at your camping destination.

Yes, that makes alot of sence! I'd say don't take the risk that theirs a leak and blow up a lot of people/equipment (unless we want a nuclear explosion on a train, but that wouldn't be good for Amtrak's reputation :lol: )!

Bottled propane is only dangerous if you shoot at it.
Actually, that is not totaly accurate. Having been involved in hot air ballooning for several years (yes, they do use propane), there are a myriad of reasons for bottles to have issues. Temperature (IE fire), valve fittings (bad o-rings), metal fatigue, etc... Hot air balloon propane tanks are FAA certified as air-worthy. It is rare for them to have issues, but it does happen.

Camping tanks are of a much lower rating.

In short, propane is very dangerous and has no place on a train IMO.

Actually, that is not totaly accurate. Having been involved in hot air ballooning for several years (yes, they do use propane), there are a myriad of reasons for bottles to have issues. Temperature (IE fire), valve fittings (bad o-rings), metal fatigue, etc... Hot air balloon propane tanks are FAA certified as air-worthy. It is rare for them to have issues, but it does happen.

Yeah, that was a joke on my part.

OH, sorry. Guess it wasn't funny or I am too serious. I vote for the former. :p

OH, sorry. Guess it wasn't funny or I am too serious. I vote for the former. :p
Not one of my better attempts!

Last edited by a moderator:
The point is that BOTH are dangerous!! Gun Owners should stop being BABIES!!
Your point is wrong, they are not equally dangerous.

Also, where do you see gun owners being babies? The "guns in checked baggage" thing is a political football being shoved down Amtrak's throat by Congress. While I support the ability to transport small arms in the baggage car, it isn't like gun owners are out there heavily lobbying for this change.

Tim,

where did you plan to camp at glacier park, there are 10 different camping areas.

Sounds like fun.

Camping in Glacier National Park is Rocky Mountain camping at its finest! Some things to consider if you have never camped in the Rockies, it gets down close to freezing almost every night. This is due to the geographical location and elevation. If you come prepared for cold weather camping, you shouldn't be surprised. Be prepared for quick weather changes, a day may start out warm and sunny and turn cold and stormy with very little notice. Either wear or take layered clothing with you and bring rain gear.

http://www.glacier.national-park.com/camping.htm

Totally erroneous arguement.

Propane bottles are NOT safer than ammo. Bottles can leak and the escaping vapor burn, or if heated sufficiently the bottle itself will explode. A propane has MUCH more explosive materrial in it than a piece of ammo, or even a normal size box of ammo. Unless you put ammo in a fire, it will not explode, and even if it does the bullet usually does not fly far, as there is not barrel to either direct it or to keep the casing from splitting. That goes even more so for shotgun shell where the casing itself will melt/burn. As to the gun itself: It is a piece of cold metal and wood and nothing more unless loaded and in the hands of a stupid maniac.

I personally have no problem with either one in a baggage car, but of the two, the propane tank is far more dangerous.

Doesn't matter, Amtrak doesn't check guns either.

Prohibited ItemsThe following kinds of items are prohibited as both checked and carry-on baggage:

Any type of gun, firearm, ammunition, explosives, or weapon.

Incendiaries, including flammable gases, liquids and fuels.

Large, sharp objects such as axes, ice picks and swords.

Corrosive or dangerous chemicals or materials, such as liquid bleach, tear gas, mace, radioactive and harmful bacteriological materials.

Batteries with acid that can spill or leak (except those batteries used in motorized wheelchairs or similar devices for mobility-impaired passengers).

Club-like items, such as billy clubs and nightsticks.

Fragile and/or valuable items, including but not limited to electronic equipment.(Laptop computers and handheld devices may be carried onboard; however, Amtrak accepts no liability for damage.)

Animals (except service animals).

Oversized and/or overweight items.

Please note: This is not an exhaustive list. Any item similar to those listed, even if not specifically mentioned here, is prohibited from being carried onboard or checked as baggage.
Edit:

That's right from Amtrak's website: Onboard Baggage Policy

If you're talking about the little gas cans that are the size of your fist, it doesn't matter what Amtrak's rules are.... they're not gonna know you have them.

It's simple actually. It's because your "alleged" right to keep and bear propane is not constitutionally protected. Just buy the propane in Montana.

If you're talking about the little gas cans that are the size of your fist, it doesn't matter what Amtrak's rules are.... they're not gonna know you have them.
Checked bags are X-rayed at major hubs. NYP has a machine, I'm pretty sure WAS does-- and CHI certainly does.

The point is that BOTH are dangerous!! Gun Owners should stop being BABIES!!
Your point is wrong, they are not equally dangerous.

Also, where do you see gun owners being babies? The "guns in checked baggage" thing is a political football being shoved down Amtrak's throat by Congress. While I support the ability to transport small arms in the baggage car, it isn't like gun owners are out there heavily lobbying for this change.
I agree this whole thing is political, but I would assume the National Rifle Association is involved with this somehow, they always are. And gun owners make up its membership.

It also involves complete ignorance of how baggage is handled and stowed on Amtrak compared to airliners.

Sort of off topic, but can anyone tell me why there are propane tanks at switches on NS along the Crescent route in Alabama? It never gets cold enough to need to install switch heaters, so what else could the propane do?

Checked bags are X-rayed at major hubs. NYP has a machine, I'm pretty sure WAS does-- and CHI certainly does.
Then put it in your backpack. The fact is, whether right or wrong, you have the remarkably easy ability to bring anything you want to (including firearms) aboard any American train that does not cross borders so long as you keep it concealed in a carry on bag (checked bags too between non-terminus locations) and don't flaunt it around the train. There's no sense in even debating a policy toward what's "allowed" on board because if it fits in a bag, there's rarely a time when anybody's gonna know it's there and frankly, so long as it's not incredibly intimidating looking, nobody on board really cares.

Sort of off topic, but can anyone tell me why there are propane tanks at switches on NS along the Crescent route in Alabama? It never gets cold enough to need to install switch heaters, so what else could the propane do?
Shoot it from oh, about 50 yards with a Springfield 30-06 and you'll find out! :)

Seriously though, bad idea. But is anyone else a little un-nerved by the idea of propane sitting next to a railroad track?

but I would assume the National Rifle Association is involved with this somehow, they always are. And gun owners make up its membership.
You would assume incorrectly - they have a handful of 1-2 sentence "This bill was proposed" articles on their website, but I could detect no major push from the NRA to support this effort (and my googling turned up a decent bit of complaining about why the NRA did nothing and Wicker waited until the White House and Congress were Democratically held to introduce this, rather than do so between 2001 and 2006 when the Republican majority would have made it far easier to get passed). Also, not all gun owners are NRA members (some, like me are actually opposed to a great deal of what they do). And apt comparison would be trying to take NARP's position against this and say that all rail passengers are anti-gun, ignoring the fact that not all rail passengers are NARP members and not all NARP members agree with their position on the matter.

Are you sure they're propane and not compressed air? Compressed air is sometimes used to power the switches moving back and forth. Is there a small building next to them that looks like it can house an air compressor?

It's simple actually. It's because your "alleged" right to keep and bear propane is not constitutionally protected. Just buy the propane in Montana.
Hey; I only want to see National Guardsmen carrying guns; "well organized milita"!! Read the full text, not just the part you like!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back