Proposed Kenosha-Racine-Milwaukee Commuter Rail

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MisterUptempo

Lead Service Attendant
From Railway Age, a report about another attempt to establish commuter rail between Milwaukee and Kenosha-

Proposed Kenosha-Racine-Milwaukee Commuter Rail Project Receives State Support

On Aug. 16, the Federal Transit Administration (FTA) released a two-page profile of the long-stalled Kenosha-Racine-Milwaukee (KRM) Commuter Rail project highlighting the state of Wisconsin’s support of the proposed $460 million rail service.

According to the profile, the Wisconsin Department of Transportation (WisDOT), in conjunction with the Wisconsin Transit & Realty Group, LLC (WTRG), proposes to implement commuter rail service along a 33-mile existing, active freight rail corridor from downtown Kenosha, Wisc., continuing through Racine and on to the Milwaukee Intermodal Station (MIS) in downtown Milwaukee. The line is expected to serve nine stations—three existing and six new—and provide a connection to Metra’s Union Pacific-North (UP-N) commuter rail line in Kenosha.

------------------------snip--------------------------

According to the document, the project corridor runs along the western shore of Lake Michigan parallel to, but east of Interstate 94 (I-94) and includes upgrading the track to allow operating speeds up to 79 mph, constructing up to three 10,000-foot passing sidings, implementing positive train control (PTC) throughout the corridor, and upgrading grade crossings along the route with quadrant gates and signaling. The project also includes construction of a maintenance facility, rehabilitation/replacement of various bridges, and use of hydrogen-powered rail vehicles. Bi-direction service, WisDOT says, is intended to be provided initially only on weekday peak-periods, with off-peak and weekend service to be added in the future.

WisDOT states in the profile that it anticipates start of revenue service to be in mid-2026.

In a statement to WUWM-FM, WisDOT said that it was sponsoring the project on behalf of WTRG per FTA rules, which require private entities to have a public sponsor when “intending to apply for federal funds.” The statement also noted that there are no state funds associated with the project and that all costs will be covered by WTRG. The application, WUWM-FM reports, was a request for entry into the Project Development Phase of FTA’s Capital Investment Grant Program.

WUWM-FM also reported that WTRG, which plans to own and operate the commuter rail service, does not have a fully set up website, and listed phone numbers do not appear to be working. (emphasis mine
)
H9VOJuT.png

img src - WISDOT

Link to the project page on FTA's website

Direct link to the two-pager from FTA

This will be great if it comes to pass - providing another route between Chicago and Milwaukee other than Amtrak or highway and linking a lot of towns together. The corridor between the two metro areas is almost seamless now and this will really link them better.

And it it's successful, give impetus to other commuter projects in the area - and possibly Amtrak north to Green Bay.

This will be great if it comes to pass - providing another route between Chicago and Milwaukee other than Amtrak or highway and linking a lot of towns together. The corridor between the two metro areas is almost seamless now and this will really link them better.

And it it's successful, give impetus to other commuter projects in the area - and possibly Amtrak north to Green Bay.
I hope it succeeds as well, but the fact the private entity leading the project has just a primitive "coming soon" website and listed phone numbers aren't working is concerning. If WISDOT wanted the service that badly, they could probably purchase services from Metra to continue UP North service all the way into Milwaukee. Then again, the feds should probably sponsor this route. At just 33 miles, the line would provide a perfect test bed for hydrogen-powered transport. FRA, FTA, DoE should all want in on it.

I wonder what kind of pushback there might be by some residents of the towns along the line, who will fear "undesirables" might swarm upon their towns if the trains start running. It would be unfortunate, but not surprising.

I'd always hoped that trains out of Union Station could connect to the UP North/Northwest lines via the route of the proposed North Branch Transitway, and the Hiawatha might move to the UP North routing. Hitting the new Lincoln Yards development, as well as towns like Evanston, Kenosha, and Racine, would likely do wonders for ridership numbers. But since the train needs to serve Mitchell Airport, that idea is likely DOA.

I hope it succeeds as well, but the fact the private entity leading the project has just a primitive "coming soon" website and listed phone numbers aren't working is concerning. If WISDOT wanted the service that badly, they could probably purchase services from Metra to continue UP North service all the way into Milwaukee. Then again, the feds should probably sponsor this route. At just 33 miles, the line would provide a perfect test bed for hydrogen-powered transport. FRA, FTA, DoE should all want in on it.

I wonder what kind of pushback there might be by some residents of the towns along the line, who will fear "undesirables" might swarm upon their towns if the trains start running. It would be unfortunate, but not surprising.

I'd always hoped that trains out of Union Station could connect to the UP North/Northwest lines via the route of the proposed North Branch Transitway, and the Hiawatha might move to the UP North routing. Hitting the new Lincoln Yards development, as well as towns like Evanston, Kenosha, and Racine, would likely do wonders for ridership numbers. But since the train needs to serve Mitchell Airport, that idea is likely DOA.

Two routes seem better than one to me - redundancy. Plus this one serves more population centers. I've got the feeling that a lot of the south Milwaukee suburbs aren't doing the best economically so they might be in favor - particularly if it's a 'private' entity.

Was this the same group proposing commuter service to the west (Peewaukee iirc) maybe four-five years ago?

Alas, the other article (a Milwaukee radio report) I posted suggests this is D.O.A. due to disinterest from the WI state legislature.

I've heard it put well in the past that this would be the "local" route and Amtrak the express between Chicago and Milwaukee.

Back