PTC blues

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bratkinson

Conductor
I just LOVE getting clobbered by PTC while riding Amtrak...

Back in January, when I took the Silver Meteor to Fort Lauderdale, after a 3 hr late departure from NYP due to frozen doors (ice storm the night before), at WAS, after the train was all ready to go (after waiting 10 mins for a passenger that had gotten off to get some food at WAS), the engineer radioed the conductor he couldn't sign on to PTC.  After about 10 minutes of calls to the tower and the CSX dispatcher, we finally got permission to run without PTC.  I heard one other reference to PTC problems after we left JAX, but other than that, everything seemed OK.

Spin forward to this past Wednesday on the Cardinal WAS-CHI.  I forget which small station west of Thurmond we stopped at, but the engineer had to cold-start/reboot PTC to get it working.  About 10 minutes lost.

Last night, waiting to leave CHI on #48, the Capitol Ltd was delayed 40-50 minutes account a car problem.  The City of New Orleans, an hour.  This was per the announcements in the Metropolitan lounge.  I figured, 'Oh goodie...what new excuse will she have for the Lakeshore Ltd?'  More car trouble.  We boarded at 9:35 and left at 9:55.  I didn't have my scanner on, so I don't know what the delays were really about.  But, surprisingly, the lounge stayed open until we were told to go board at 9:3or5.  That's a first for me!

Somewhere in the night, we lost 2+ hours before Elkhart, but made some of that up by Cleveland.  But just 2-3 minutes out of Cleveland, the train stopped at the point it becomes CSX and the engineer reported he can't connect to PTC.  15 minutes later, after restarting PTC, it still didn't work, so he got permission from the dispatcher to run without it.  That is, until, Syracuse, where the dispatcher change occurs.  That dispatcher refused to allow the train to run without PTC!  Lose another 50 minutes contacting CSX and Amtrak and get them to agree to let us go...oh, and an extra reboot there, too!

Then, miracles of miracles, about 15 minutes out of Syracuse, PTC STARTS WORKING all by itself!  We had just crossed a grade crossing where the highway signals weren't working, according to the engineer.  Also, I spotted a signal maintainer at the interlocking about 1/2 mile after the crossing.  The engineer had called out 'clear', but the train slowed to 10mph or so for 3-4 minutes and then it was off to the races!!

So now, we're running 3+ hours down, thanks to NS congestion in Indiana and PTC.  I wonder how many passengers will get off this train saying 'Never again!'?

All the examples given are CSX.  Methinks they have an interoperability problem.
When I wrote yesterday afternoon, I completely forgot my first trip on CTRail in January.  THAT trip was besieged by PTC 'penalty stops' from WNL to NHV, and the last one, south of Wallingford, required a complete reboot of PTC to get us going again.   In checking the CTRail website while onboard, the same physical train, on its northbound run to Springfield that was turned to become the train I was on arrived at Springfield 30+ minutes down.  We arrived at New Haven 30 minutes down, as well.  So, presumably, the PTC problems are with that locomotive, not the track, as all Amtrak trains on that route have no PTC problems that I'm aware of.

Given that the locomotives used on the new CTRail trains to Springfield were formerly Shore Line East locomotives, one would think the PTC in them would already have the bugs worked out. 

For what it's worth, due  to the missed connection at SPG last night, I took my 2nd CTRail trip SPG-WNL.    Thankfully, the 9:50PM departure on CTRail works great for connection from a more than 2 hr delayed #448 that would have made the last Amtrak run of  the night.  No PTC problems last night at all.

So, presumably, the PTC problems are with that locomotive, not the track, as all Amtrak trains on that route have no PTC problems that I'm aware of.
I think Lordsigma would have something to say about this:

There seems to be an ongoing issue with most trains getting an ACSES positive stop on track 2 between Spring and Sweeney in Springfield and having to do a stop bypass which has been affecting OTP. I wonder if this is something that can actually be fixed or if its going to be a permanent thing.
While this is one area, there are PTC issue related delays nationwide and industry wide.  Some of it is teething that may work itself in due time. Some of probably has to do with attempting to place it in service by a deadline.  Some of it will probably stick around and will be the cost of doing business.

For example, the additional time needed to turn around a commuter train using I-ETMS will most likely be the continuing cost of doing business, until I-EYMS is modified to be able to handle pre-defined profiles of trains on specific routes. The freight railroads have zero incentive to bother.

It is ACSES on NHV-SPG. The install is only a few months active and as Thirdrail mentioned there are some spots where they have had difficulty. They've made some progress getting some of the bugs out, but there have been issues both on the civil speed side of things and with the interlocking data radios. At Sweeney for instance there isn't as many positive stops as before when almost every train had a positive stop at one particular point - I'm not sure if they actually made physical adjustments to fix it or if they are just having trains pass through the area slower to make sure the data radio picks up. If the data radio doesn't pick up going through here you positive stop no matter what. Another area where there's been trouble with stops due to data radios not reading is approaching the Wood interlocking northbound from track 2 with the difference there being that it technically will be a speed penalty stop rather than a positive stop if the data radio doesn't read. I will say thanks to Thirdrail for some earlier technical explanations which improved my understanding of the ACSES issues up here.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back