PTC "Server disruption" service issue (March 2023)

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Too soon to tell, of course, but I’m booked on the Palmetto 90 out of Savannah Monday April 3. I have not heard so far that trains like that have had this pblm but I do watch the Folkston railcam and last night I heard a lot of chat that some trains to/from FL were having issues. Has anyone else heard of pblms along the east coast south of Washington DC?
We are running five hours late on 92 today. Auto Train has seen cancellations due to excessive delays. Just as a sampler. Palmetto may have done OK so far. South bound it was close to on time when we passed it.

We always like to have contingency plans worked out ahead of time should we ever need them. If we’re in Chicago and our westbound SWC to LA is cancelled, we’ll probably choose to fly back since the chance of getting another sleeping car bedroom anytime soon will be virtually nil. (We’re no longer up to making a long-distance train trip in coach or a roomette.) Would Amtrak put us up in a hotel the first day? What other assistance would they provide in helping us make our airlines reservations and/or get to the airport from CUS? What is the usual cab fare from CUS to the airport? Thanks in advance for your suggestions and advice.

Eric & Pat
If you were willing to allow Amtrak to take care of you. Hotel vouchers was given out. Food was provided in station. (Pizza party) There was talk of placing sleeping cars in station for the second day. I did not wait around.

As for booking a different train, it unlikely you would get a sleeper space the next day. Of course with two LSL in Chicago they might of run both back to NYC so it’s a maybe for a East Coast trains. The western trains are just going to get canceled due to lack of equipment at the end points. They will not be add equipment. So one train goes out, into the equipment is back in the correct pattern.

Assist with booking alternatives transportation service, no. You want to book a airplane the best your getting is a full refund from Amtrak. Passenger that got stuck enroute were given alternate transportation to there final station. Not 100% sure but several conversation were about how they got a bus ride to Chicago.

You have options to get to the airport in Chicago. The heavy metro will get you to both. I grab a Lyft and it was 30 usd. If Amtrak is sending you to a hotel they will give you a taxi voucher.

In recap Amtrak was trying but the results were a bit haphazard. They were operating on limited information and were trying there best. Hard to set thing up when they don’t know if or when anything was getting launch out of Chicago. Management was canceling trains close to there departure time. Which of course just screw up the planning.

When I check in at the Metropolitan Lounge the guy was not positive but he was hopefully my train was going to leave Saturday. It did not. I ended up in Dallas on time with about a 700 usd charge for last minute airfare and booking a room at the airport. It work for me, just not the best way to travel.

Jis and I were inside on a bench. I did not notice you. There were families sitting across from us and to our right. We were in the southeast area of the station. I’m only going to one day of the meeting. I may miss you.
I think the PTC issue was resolved since we are traveling at speed and even made up a few minutes.
I was mostly outside (at least, until I went to kill my ticket), so that explains that. It happens.

There is starting to have some fog lifted. Server problems?. Why wasn't there a back up? maybe not a second separate path to server? If not why not ? FRA set the initiation protocol without any work around ? Where was top Amtrak management? Melt down started Friday morning.

After the SW meltdown it is time for every entity dodging any appearance to visit the wood shed. The list is long.

We are running five hours late on 92 today. Auto Train has seen cancellations due to excessive delays. Just as a sampler. Palmetto may have done OK so far. South bound it was close to on time when we passed it.
Thx. Ironically, just an hour after I posted, my wife got sick and I have to cancel the trip so the question is moot.

Back