pts./$$ (not counting the current Double Days) point runs.

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Eyegor

Train Attendant
I know this has been posted before, but still a little confused. Just looking for what people think a good bang for the buck is on point runs. Here in NY using Empire Service and/or ML/ADK trains the best I can come up with is roughly 7-8 pts. / dollar spent. Not counting the current double point days. At this rate, are point runs worth it?

Thanks for dealing with yet another newb question.

Well, you can buy them for 2.75 cents/point.

If you're earning 8 points/dollar, you're "paying" 12.5 cents/point.

Far more expensive. But you're also getting a train ride out of it, which obviously has some value. You're also getting points towards status, which has value if you're going to hit a status level. Also, if you've already bought the max points for the year, the option of purchasing them isn't available to you.

Those can all mitigate the "bad deal" to some degree, but that's highly situational dependent.

I generally assume 4% return, since that's about what a high-bucket redemption on a Silver Service trip to FL will get me. At that rate, you'd be getting 28-32% back. However, if that's what you're getting on the "rail points" alone, it's worth noting that status bonuses can add a lot to that, the AGR Mastercard can add 2 points per dollar, and so on.

For me, any redemption above the 2.75¢/point is good. I myself like to get 3-5¢/point, although I have gotten an 8-10¢/point value many times - even over 12¢/point! :)

To return to your original question, many trains do not lend themselves to riding on point runs just to get points. Unless your trying to reach another status level or to make status. (One exception is the Keystones west of PHL where you can earn 100 points for only a few dollars!) Actually the worst way to earn AGR points is by (surprise) traveling on Amtrak! :eek:

A much better way is by purchasing the 10,000 points (not including any bonus) each calendar year! Another is by using the AGR MasterCard for everyday purchases (gas, food, etc...). I earn over 1,000 AGR points ever month that way! :) Another is by making purchases from the Points For Shopping portal for items you were going to purchase anyway.

Thanks for the replies. It all makes a little more sense. Of course, I'm still trying to get a good handle on points vs. TQPs but I'm getting closer. :)

Back