Purchase seat options

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well, then maybe they should maximize privacy in those seats. Even airplanes have armrests separating passengers. Lack of that on an overnight train is a deal killer for many travelers, especially women.

I don't see the option of allowing passengers to buy two seats as being incompatible with "a government subsidized train service."
Nothing is more uncomfortable and awkward than sharing a seat with a stranger in extremely close proximity on an overnight journey. No arm rest is one of the factors. Not to mention Covid is still out there.

If sharing a seat is really a problem for someone, then they should plan to travel on a long-distance train during the slow times of the year, when there is more likelihood of the train not being full.
Amtrak staff have a history of putting single coach passengers together even if the train is half empty and Gardner's Amtrak is likely to simply remove cars during slower months anyway. Even with trains on routes with minimum axle counts the staff often leave some cars locked or otherwise off limits.

The whole point of a government subsidized train service is to have as many people using it as possible, which means minimizing empty seats.
There is nothing that precludes Amtrak from suspending two seats per person above a certain occupancy or during busy holiday windows if that's the concern.

Amtrak staff have a history of putting single coach passengers together even if the train is half empty and Gardner's Amtrak is likely to simply remove cars during slower months anyway. Even with trains on routes with minimum axle counts the staff often leave some cars locked or otherwise off limits.

There is nothing that precludes Amtrak from suspending two seats per person above a certain occupancy or during busy holiday windows if that's the concern.
A lot of the seat assignment controversy is with the car attendant... wishing there would be policies that would make everything consistent!

But for sure... I have avoided LD overnight travel in coach... and pony up whatever $$$ to get my own room. However, on the Cascade route and NEC I have no problem in coach for a daytime trip; and know the option of quiet car is available on the NEC regionals.

Yeah. The general idea is that train travel is supposed to be more social. That's why dining car tables are usually filled. I was at one with four solo passengers and another time my pair (we just went Richmond-San Jose on the Coast Starlight) was mixed with a pair from sleepers.

I was paired with someone who took the aisle seat next to my window seat. We never said a word to each other, but gestured when we needed to move or use the outlet. However, I probably was going to say something when his power adapter was left plugged in and he was leaving the train. But there were way too many people between us. I was getting off at the same station, but he did so well ahead of me and my pushing to the door would have been seen as rude.

Back