Quality Inn New Orleans

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
On my way to San Antonio,I will be spending two days in New Orleans. I am staying at the Quality Inn on O Keefe street. I will be coming in on 19. I noticed the hotel was close to the station. Is it a safe walk in the evening from the station to the hotel and vice versa ?

I would play it safe and take a cab, especially if you have luggage. It looks like it is about 8 blocks, and I think the area around the hotel is fairly safe, but I'm not familiar with what is between there and the station. Often, people walking with luggage might as well have a sign on them that says " I don't live here, I'm vulnerable, rob me."

I've been to NOLA a couple of times post Katrina (once this year) and haven't had a problem, (wife and I have walked around in safe areas) but there are still some areas where it is safe on one block, and a block or two over, not so much.

Just my two cents worth.

I would play it safe and take a cab, especially if you have luggage. It looks like it is about 8 blocks, and I think the area around the hotel is fairly safe, but I'm not familiar with what is between there and the station. Often, people walking with luggage might as well have a sign on them that says " I don't live here, I'm vulnerable, rob me."

I've been to NOLA a couple of times post Katrina (once this year) and haven't had a problem, (wife and I have walked around in safe areas) but there are still some areas where it is safe on one block, and a block or two over, not so much.

Just my two cents worth.
I was in New Orleans in 2009 and stayed in a hotel on Tchoupitoulas which is one of the lesser side streets off Poydras and not far from the river. We walked there from Union Station with our lugagge when we arrived and we walked back with our luggage when our stay was over and, enjoying the numerous attracations of New Orleans, walked back to the hotel in the early hours of the morning on virtually every day of our stay and never did we see anything that was mildly suspicious or feel we were in any sort of danger.

I know there are nasty areas in New Orleans (we saw one or two) but definitely not around here.

Personally I would not take a cab. I have walked much further than that from the station - and the first time was from the arrival of the Crescent which was late. Loyola St. is the street to walk down (go left), which is right in front of the station. It has interesting things along it and interesting public art dedicated to cancer survivors in the median. As you approach Canal St. it might appear a little dicey so just turn off on Poydras - go right down to O'Keefe then left for another block or so.

I stayed at this hotel last month and it's excellent. We got a great two-room suite for only 12,000 choice points a night (that would be 4k AGR points if you transferred them). There's a great hot breakfast in the morning, and the staff was very friendly and helpful, with things like late check-out and map.

I walked to and from the station in the afternoon and it was just fine (we were on the City of New Orleans). I've walked from the train station at night after arriving on #19 at other times and never felt threatened. Some people hanging around near Loyola and Canal, but they seemed mostly waiting for a bus.

Don't miss the chargrilled oysters at Acme Oyster House!

Last edited by a moderator:
I stayed at this hotel last month and it's excellent. We got a great two-room suite for only 12,000 choice points a night (that would be 4k AGR points if you transfered them). There's a great hot breakfast in the morning, and the staff was very friendly and helpful, with things like late check-out and map.

I walked to and from the station in the afternoon and it was just fine (we were on the City of New Orleans). I've walked from the train station at night after arriving on #19 at other times and never felt threatened. Some people hanging around near Loyola and Canal, but they seemed mostly waiting for a bus.

Gotta love trips where you get to use both Guest Rewards Points and Choice Rewards Points for a hotel on the same trip.

I've got one of those coming up next month. Crescent from Atlanta to New York, NER to Providence, RI, room at the Airport Comfort Inn......

I would like to thank everyone for their input. One more question. Is it safe to walk to the French Quarter from the Quality Inn on O Keefe Street ?

I would like to thank everyone for their input. One more question. Is it safe to walk to the French Quarter from the Quality Inn on O Keefe Street ?
It's two easy blocks to the French Quarter, past the exceedingly classy Waldorf-Astoria Hotel Roosevelt (I recommend checking out the clock in the lobby) where there are usually car valets and such waiting out front. If the French Quarter is safe (and as far as I know, it's as safe as any place in New Orleans), the walk to it from the Quality Inn certainly is.

Of course, I'm not a late-night person, so conditions between 11 p.m. and 6 a.m. could be different.

I stayed at this hotel in January 2010 and I felt safe walking to the station by myself. Since then the area seems to have improved with new sidewalks and perhaps better lighting. I think it was only a 12 minute walk or so. Enjoy!

Don't know about that particular route. But my impression of the French Quarter as a whole is that it is very safe.

On my stay in NOL every night turned into a very long and late night and I walked back to the hotel every night.

I never once felt I was in any threatening situations.

In fact the hours after the last bars shut down are quite worth seeing. During the brief period that human activity finally stops and New Orleans really does sleep, you get to see a different side of the city.

Such as in birds do sing even in New Orleans, and when all the smells of food and other human activities recede, you can acually smell the sea. It's very beautiful.

I stayed at this hotel last month and it's excellent. We got a great two-room suite for only 12,000 choice points a night (that would be 4k AGR points if you transferred them). There's a great hot breakfast in the morning, and the staff was very friendly and helpful, with things like late check-out and map.

We prefer Felix's, which is across the street. A VERY OLD New Orleans restaurant with great food and you normally don't have to wait in line to get in. If you sit at the bar, ask your server about the trough under the stools in front of the bar! :blink: :eek:

About the Hotel: Nice place, albeit a bit generic, has useful facilities (laundry).

About walking: I felt perfectly safe when walking to and from the station, the walk will take you about 10mins

I have always taken a cab from the train station to my hotel, which is a bit further away than the Quality Inn.

But you should be fine walking from the station.

I have been to NOLA several times since Hurricane Katrina, on the Crescent from NYC.

As for walking around the French Quarter at night, you will be fine. One thing I noticed on my recent trips was that Bourbon Street had policemen everywhere. Just don't walkdown any dark and deserted side streets near the far end of Bourbon Street.

Enjoy your trip!

Dave

dkpartyguy

:cool:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back