Question about ALX train station

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I am going to Alexandria, Virginia, for a few days next week, and I have a question about walking from the train station.

I used to walk down the ramp from the station, turn right and walk under the bridge, then right again into the Metro parking lot. Then through the parking lot to cross the street at the light (basically where the Embassy Suites is).

That avoided a lot of trying to cross the busier roads and seemed safer for pedestrians.

However, last time I was there (over a year ago), they were doing construction and had everything blocked off.

Has anyone been there recently and know if construction is finished and/or if it’s still possible to do that route through the parking lot?

Thanks, as always, for any and all information.

I found out the answer today when I got to ALX—they are still doing construction, but they’ve made a very nice pedestrian pathway—and the normal traffic (buses, etc.) is not going to be back in there til May 24.

So it was actually the quietest I’ve ever seen that area and very easy and nice to walk through. Essentially walking on a well-marked pathway through an empty parking lot.

I did get a chuckle out of the sign directing pedestrians. It said “Pedestrian detour” and showed an arrow and a pedestrian. The arrow and the pedestrian were going in opposite directions!😁

Went through ALX twice last fall and didn't even pay attention to walking options!
Just headed for the front to catch a taxi.
Inbound on the Cardinal #50 in late September and outbound on #51 in mid October.
When we departed ALX I did take time to look around the station...seemed pretty nice.

Back