Question About Checked Baggage on the GBB-SBI Bus Bridge

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

ehbowen

Engineer
I'm contemplating a trip returning from the West Coast (Seattle or Sacramento) to Houston using the bus bridge between Galesburg and Springfield. My originating station handles checked baggage. My destination station handles checked baggage. The intermediate stations where I make my van/bus transfer do not handle checked baggage, but as I am returning home a delay of a day or two is not a major issue. Can I check luggage from Seattle or Sacramento through to Houston with the understanding that I will arrive a day or two ahead of my bags?

I think GBB and SPI do both handle checked luggage. It is the van that does not. I think you must take possession at GBB and load it on the van trailer then unload and recheck at SPI. This is my surmise from observing. I have made the transfer several times but without checked luggage.

I'm taking the Texas Eagle from Little Rock to Springfield and then using the Thruway bus to Galesburg. i was told by the agent here in Little Rock that i could check my luggage the day before my travel and that it would go on the TE to Chicago and be put on the CZ so that it would end up on the same train as I will be on from Galesburg.

I'm taking the Texas Eagle from Little Rock to Springfield and then using the Thruway bus to Galesburg. i was told by the agent here in Little Rock that i could check my luggage the day before my travel and that it would go on the TE to Chicago and be put on the CZ so that it would end up on the same train as I will be on from Galesburg.
Don't believe them unless you see them put the proper transfer tags on your bags with your own eyes.! (LRK-CHI-/CHI-???)You can check your bag to SPI, but if the Train is late and you miss the Van to GBB, your bag comes off even if you don't, and you're sent on to CHI for alternate transportation and/or an overnight on Amracks dime.
Your best bet,to be safe, is to take your bags aboard, load them onto the train, move them to the van when you arrive in SPI( luggage is carried in the back) and then check your bag in GBB since they now have checked baggage service!

There's actually two Daily Trains from CHI-GBB, #3 and #5, but neither is a guaranteed connection from #22 in CHI, hence the Van SPI-GBB.

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back