Question about computing TQPs to reach next level

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JoshP

Service Attendant
I just got email that says I need 3,490 TQP more to go next level to Select Plus.

How many trips and what kind class should I take to reach that level, I'm curious?

If I read correctly, I checked as example. If I travel BOS-WAS on Acela First, one tix is $401, which means I can do R/T then one biz class on NER then I can boost up to Select Plus?

Thanks

Last edited:
It's quite easy to determine how many TQPs you'll get, especially as it's double TQP days until 12/31.

Start by doubling the cost of the trip segment. That's standard TQP calculation for each segment traveled.

Double it again as it's 2x days. So a $100 ticket is 400 TQPs thus far.

Now add 25% of ticket cost if you're in any Business Class, or 50% in Acela first class and double that as it's 2X days.

And since you're presently AGR 'Select', do the double 25% (or 50%) again as bonus points for being Select status. Unlike previous 2X points days, the status bonus is also doubled. I was surprised to find out after an Acela FC round trip I did in August.

So, for a $100 business class trip, you'd get 400 + 50 + 50 TQPs.

If you'd like to check how you got each of your TQPs this year, go to the AGR side of the Amtrak site and click on 'transactions'. It will show the past 6-7 postings only so to see them all, click whatever the button is to select a date range and specify 1/1/21 through todays' date.

If you'd like to check how you got each of your TQPs this year, go to the AGR side of the Amtrak site and click on 'transactions'. It will show the past 6-7 postings only so to see them all, click whatever the button is to select a date range and specify 1/1/21 through todays' date.
I believe there is a "show all" link/button

I just got email that says I need 3,490 TQP more to go next level to Select Plus.

How many trips and what kind class should I take to reach that level, I'm curious?

If I read correctly, I checked as example. If I travel BOS-WAS on Acela First, one tix is $401, which means I can do R/T then one biz class on NER then I can boost up to Select Plus?

Thanks
$802+ just to get to Select Plus? Is it really worth that to you?

I have a similar question. Thanks to the doubling, I have never been this close to Select. Basically need 1300 and change before the end of the year. Is it worth it? Looking at my credit card transactions, it seems that for every 5000$ charged, 1000 TQPs are awarded. Not likely to charge another $5000 before the end of the year. One coach ticket to Chicago at the end of December isn't going to do anything.... am I understanding this correctly that if I charge Amtrak travel of $650 it would be enough? Say a small roomette or BC trip out of Chicago or Toledo? I am bad, no - terrible, generally, at maximizing opportunity through details of reward programs, so really not sure what to do. Or again if it's worth it.

With the doubling, you would divide points needed by 4. Or divide by 2 to get 1/2 the doubled part then divide by 2 again to get 1/2 the 2x Spend.

I just spent a lot of time working on what I need to go to Select plus (which includes 25% bonuses if you're already Select).

For someone w/o any status:
Spend $325
325 x 2 to get base TQPs of 650
Double the 650 to get 1300 TQPs (this is for 2021 only)

BTW, I've never tried getting status. Amtrak generously gave me Select status for 2021 when my 2020 TQPs came close to qualifying. Then, with the doubling and the fact that I paid cash for my LD trips this year (instead of using points like I normally do), I found I was oh so close to Select Plus. So I figured out how much I needed to spend to make it. I took a joy ride this week to D.C. to look at the fall foliage along the way. It was $28 each way. I'm still short a bit, but will make it up before the end of the year since I have a doctor's appt that I always try to take the train to.

I am one who generally "chases" status for some unknown impractical reason. I have been select executive every year except the first year it was offered. As one can guess, qualifying this year was the easiest so far (due to the double TQPs). Too bad I cannot carryover my excess to next year.

Would someone do the math for me, please?

I have an upcoming leg of a trip. The rail fare is $32.40 and the business class upgrade is $22.00. I am Select Plus. How many TQP will I earn? Will the number of points available for redemption be half the TQP? Thanks.

Is it as simple as ( $32.40+$22.00) * 2 * 2 * 1.25 * 1.5? That's the total fare times 2 for the standard TQP, times 2 again for the 2021 bonus TQP, times 1.25 for business class travel, times 1.5 for the 50% bonus for being Select Plus.

Here's what I come up with. There will be rounding off, so your total will either be 380 or 381 depending on when they do the round offs

Base: 2 x 54.40 108.80
BC bonus: 25% of base 27.20
Select Plus bonus: 50% of base 54.40
Normal total 190.40
2x Special Bonus 190.40

Just don't sue me if my math is off. ;)
I wouldn't think of it. And I expect your math is more correct than what I proposed.

My formula gave the Select Plus bonus on the BC bonus (stacking), rather than applying the two of them separately. In other words, you changed my formula to ( $32.40+$22.00) * 2 * (1+0.25+0.5) * 2. As I said, I expect you are correct. If my original guess is correct, I get more points.

If I remember, I'll report what happened, but that wouldn't be until next year.

I wouldn't think of it. And I expect your math is more correct than what I proposed.

My formula gave the Select Plus bonus on the BC bonus (stacking), rather than applying the two of them separately. In other words, you changed my formula to ( $32.40+$22.00) * 2 * (1+0.25+0.5) * 2. As I said, I expect you are correct. If my original guess is correct, I get more points.

If I remember, I'll report what happened, but that wouldn't be until next year.
Is that leg of the trip in 2021?

Back