Question about cross-country train trip

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You will see a great and diverse range of scenery on the Zephyr between Chicago and California. My favourite route. The LSL is also my choice from New York to Chicago.
Because America is such a large place, there is a big range of different scenery. Most of us get our ideas of what to expect from the movies, but there is much more diversity there.
For the return trip, either the Southwest Chief, or the Sunset Limited to New Orleans, and the Crescent to New York. (You can travel from New Orleans up to Chicago if flying home from Chicago, on the CONO.)

Thank to all of you for your answers 🙂 !!

I'm questioning myself for those of you who did so much hours of train (in my case : Cardinal/Lake shore limited + California Zephyr + Coast Starligh + Empire Builder) in one time, isn't it hard for one travel ?

I mean, I really like train travel but I'm not use to do so much hours in France so, I'm questinning myself if it's better to focus on doing the most of America by train or balance the most with cities ? How do you feel doing so much hours of transport ? Thank you for all again !

I'm questioning myself for those of you who did so much hours of train (in my case : Cardinal/Lake shore limited + California Zephyr + Coast Starligh + Empire Builder) in one time, isn't it hard for one travel ?

I mean, I really like train travel but I'm not use to do so much hours in France so, I'm questinning myself if it's better to focus on doing the most of America by train or balance the most with cities ? How do you feel doing so much hours of transport ? Thank you for all again !

Will come back later on detail but would mention that if you want the american experience Amtrak trains are unbeatable.

I'm also living in France (part time for 20 years) where we have the option to visit 3 mountain regions within your own country so only one mountain train in the US would be enough for a first trip. Californian Zephyr or Empire builder? has to be the Zephyr as a first trip.

Again as a non American the journey from Chicago across the mid-west plains to Denver is very american, then 2 mountain ranges before you get to San Francisco is a big slice of America in one journey.

Got to go now but I will add to this later.

Will come back later on detail but would mention that if you want the american experience Amtrak trains are unbeatable.

I'm also living in France (part time for 20 years) where we have the option to visit 3 mountain regions within your own country so only one mountain train in the US would be enough for a first trip. Californian Zephyr or Empire builder? has to be the Zephyr as a first trip.

Again as a non American the journey from Chicago across the mid-west plains to Denver is very american, then 2 mountain ranges before you get to San Francisco is a big slice of America in one journey.

Got to go now but I will add to this later.

Thank you for your answer, you probably right I should maybe focus on California Zephyr (with a train coming from NYC to travel coast to coast), it's already enough for a first trip and I could do a second depending of my experience :).

At least, Los Angeles isn't far from San Francisco, maybe with the Coast Starlight I could finish the travel with this road on train including the Pacific view :).

How do you feel doing so much hours of transport ? Thank you for all again !

Many probably deserve a medal or citation.

Americans are used to this kind of hard work ( sitting for hours).

The big problem is the food. You have to get off the train at opportunities to get food. If you don't get back on the train you might have to wait 24 hours to catch another one.

The only other option is eating what's known as 'train food', which is 'different' than real food.

My first big Amtrak trip was over 1100 miles. The section you are planning I did
CHI LA
LA SEA
SEA SFC
SFC CHI

Traveling both directions on the Coast Starlight showed me things that were hidden by darkness one direction.

Later I did the California Zepher in bith directions to see more.

You need to plan ahead if you want to stop for a 24hr break, probably in some smaller place in between big cities, unless you want to visit the big city.

Hello! Trip planning is so much fun. You are getting some great advice already. I can add a few things, as I've taken these routes: The Chief westbound in 1985 to Lamy (Santa Fe) and 2019 to Flagstaff, the Chief eastbound 2019, the Empire Builder Westbound to Seattle 2017, the Zephyr eastbound from Sacramento to Chi, Lake Shore Limited both ways from Worcester MA, and _ just last week December 2021 _the Cardinal both ways Washington DC to Maysville KY.

I do recommend the Cardinal despite (or because of?) the extra distance, but this time of year it has to be Eastbound or you may not see any of the New River Gorge at all, as days are so short. Our Eastbound trip was spectacular - saw the best of the Gorge starting around 9 AM when the sun is finally getting above the mountainsides! Keep in mind if you go after the leaves are on the trees, some views on the Eastern routes are simply blocked. Ideally for the Cardinal, wait till early April, when days are longer than now, but trees haven't leafed out. Sounds like you are going later than that, and the leaf issue isn't a major factor in the West. You could also consider the Capitol Limited from DC to Chicago - I have not taken it but it is shorter, has some good scenery, and uses Superliner cars (double deckers). It goes through Harpers Ferry West Virginia, one of the most wonderful river confluence gaps in the country, and a National Historical Park town that is worth a day or two to explore. Very American history!

We loved all the long Western routes equally. Spending time in the Sightseer Lounge is essential. Hope they still allow that. On the Chief, if it's on time or early, you have an hour to wander around the city of Albuquerque a bit. Same for Minot ND on the Empire Builder. On our recent Chief trip, we stayed in Flagstaff in an airbnb for the night and rented a car to drive up to the Grand Canyon, where we stayed overnight at a cabin on the edge. Less expensive with shared bathrooms. Fabulous to get up super early and beat the crowds to the view. Not that crowded on a Sunday night in late October anyway.

All the routes are bumpy compared to the smooth TGV we took in France in the 1980s. We don't get much sleep in our American sleeper cars, but that memory fades and we only have good memories of scenery and conversations with strangers. Have a great time!

PS You're likely to have several hours in Chicago. Stash your bags at the sleeper lounge and walk over to Millennium Park. In 1985 (before the Park was built) we realized we were there on the Cubs' Opening Day and had six hours. We took the El train up to Wrigley Field, got "standing room only" tickets, and watched a few innings before we had to get back to catch the Southwest Chief. SO MUCH FUN. Another cool baseball feature was being able to see into Coors Field right from the Denver platform at night. That reminds me, be ready for altitude changes – Denver is a mile high and Flagstaff 7000 feet. But, it's less of a shock on a train than flying in.

Technically speaking, the Empire Builder gives you two mountain ranges - Cascades and Rockies. Well, the Portland section crosses the Cascades through the Columbia Gorge, the Seattle section does so under Stevens Pass in a tunnel. The California Zephyr gives you three - Rockies, Wasatch and Sierra Nevada. All in all the California Zephyr IMHO is more spectacular

If you have at least two nights in a town or city between legs on the train, you will be able to catch up on the sleep deprivation and take walks. We did not suffer from the Amtrak food last week, there was plenty of it, not great, but filling. (Assuming you are traveling by roomette or bedroom, with meals included.) We brought along some instant camp food and an electric mini kettle, but did not use them. But, you should bring trail mix or energy bars at least, and some wine in case the cafe car is closed at the crucial time! If you want to reduce the train time, you could fly to Chicago, but we did that once and wished we'd done the whole thing by train. Recently a friend took the Empire Builder to Glacier National Park and the train stops right at the Lodge, so that's a place you could get off and take a hike or tour, and sleep over.

Suggest you look up Amtrak “day/night “ map so you can see (no pun intended) if the “good” viewing will be the optimum. For example north bound coast starlight had more daylight (for my itinerary) than south bound. I did a similar western section trip in July. My highlights: Denver-salt lake, Portland-pasco(running along the Columbia River was neat). Because of big forest fires, the overnight bus from Sacramento to Klamath falls at midnight- 7AM ruined the north bound starlight experience.

Thank you all again ! I'm wondering: do you know some guide books or something to get information about the places traveled during the trip ?

As far as a long trip, after an 84 hour, for me in Coach - the seats are very comfortable I was ready for more. My plan is someday to at least double that mileage by taking a what I’m calling a North American Grand Tour -

Amtrak offers bus service many places. The train and bus have coordinated schedules - but might have a long overlay. The SWC would bring you to an Amtrak bus in Flagstaff Arizona’s to the Grand Canyon, AZ. However renting a car (plan ahead). would be easier plus you could drive on the fabled Route 66 [my favorite video [.https://youtu.be/AwPV3qJegEE]. For a few stops - maybe more / the SWC follows Route 66.

Any city has culture and museum - San Francisco is my favorite. Washington DC has 18 Smithsonian musrums that are free.

Nova Scotia might be a fun ending - rent a car and drive and “de-compress” to a European feel through German, French, Scottish, Indigenous and English villages all in a few hours. It’s then possible to fly out if Halifax.

Thank you all again ! I'm wondering: do you know some guide books or something to get information about the places traveled during the trip ?
Though not exactly what you are asking for, you might find this site a good starting point to hunt down the stuff you are looking for:

https://amtrakguide.com/routes/
Happy travels!

Thank you I will search for that, by the way, I readed that the USA Rail Pass was available for 15 days but now is only for 30 days or I didn't understand well?

Last spring they had a big sale on the Passes. I forget exactly but I think it might have been half price, so you could buy two.

Thank you for your answer, you probably right I should maybe focus on California Zephyr (with a train coming from NYC to travel coast to coast), it's already enough for a first trip and I could do a second depending of my experience :).

At least, Los Angeles isn't far from San Francisco, maybe with the Coast Starlight I could finish the travel with this road on train including the Pacific view :).

Two general points and a personal recommendation.

Travelling on Amtrak long distance (LD) trains is very relaxing if in sleeper and if end to end.
Travelling coach is or can be a lot of fun and extremely comfortable compared to European trains, but you are 24 hours a day with quite a few other people. We try to travel coach from time to time to remind us there are 2 Amtraks, and to meet a real mix of people.
Sleeper is whatever you want it to be, private and comfortable (roomette) or private and all the facilities (bedroom). We tend to travel roomette as the costs are a lot lower than bedroom which means we can afford to travel further for longer.

Travelling end to end means you don't leave any LD train for between 1 1/2 to 3 1/2 days depending on route. The pace of the trains, being fed 3 times per day, being able to lay flat to sleep and the motion of the train make it a non tiring journey.
It's also possible by travelling end to end to visit the cities you start and finish at, plus quite easy to visit places near to these rail terminals.

Understandably wanting to visit places along the way allows you to get to know the country better (although in my view you will learn more about America from meeting and eating with Americans on board an Amtrak train), but stopping along the way can be hard on the body. If you will stop along the way I would whatever your route fly into New York City (fabulous if you haven't been there, just like you see on tv), and fly back from Los Angeles (more to that place than meets the eye, or guide book).

If you want to see a very diverse America in one journey it would have to be end to end Amtrak, my choice for the first time would be this:

NYC (NYP) to Chicago (CHI) with the Lakeshore ~> CHI to San Francisco (SFC) with the Zephyr ~> SFC to Los Angeles (LAX) using either the Coast Starlight or an Amtrak bus to San Luis Obispo (SLO) then the Pacific Surfliner to LAX (have to admit this is my favourite journey in the US so I am biased towards this, it has such a diverse view of California and often directly on the Californian coast).

In LAX you can make a side trip to San Diego by Surfliner, excellent if you have the time.

LAX ~> New Orleans (NOL) on the Sunset Limited (past some of the best of the deserts of SW America, at times directly next to the Mexican border just a few metres away, then across southern Texas, through Louisiana to NOL where you will feel at home) NOL ~> Washington DC (WAS) on the Crescent (through eastern America which is different again). Washington is one of the truly great world cities with so much to visit and see. Fly back from WAS.

If you do all this and pace yourself by staying a few days at the cities you arrive at it should not be stressful for you. But you will have seen quite a few of the many types of America although you will hardly have scratched the surface.

This is a personal opinion, there are many many kind and helpful people on this forum with great knowledge who will offer opinions which are all worth listening to. Only you know what you need from such an eye opening journey, but be careful, travelling America becomes addictive!

Last edited:
Do the Cardinal! It's a cool little train that has a little bit of everything! A high speed sprint down the Northeast Corridor, rough rails on a short line, mountain railroading through a river gorge, and cutting through the farmlands in the Midwest. It's a great ride.

The California Railway Museum - hoping for donations, but not at all necessarily - offers a narrator aboard the CZ from Sacramento CA (where the Museum is located) to Reno NV. Not every train. It’s about once a week. I think the narrator stays over in Reno NV and narrates the return trip. In my case the narrator used the microphone in the cafe/observation car where I stayed the whole time.

It’s worth checking wit the museum to see if a narrator is scheduled.

Lots of Gold Rush stuff ...history galore! B Sierra Nevada Mountains.

Other routes:
On occasion the Amtrak staff makes brief announcements but for the most part your mobile device helps with Google/maps. But for some of the trip. There is no connectivity.

I did notice that the original poster didn't specifically say anything about choosing a sleeper or coach seat. I would note that Amtrak coach seats are very large and it's generally easier to sleep in them compared to typical coach/economy airline seats. But then again meals are still included with sleeper accommodations, so that might be a consideration.

I did notice that the original poster didn't specifically say anything about choosing a sleeper or coach seat. I would note that Amtrak coach seats are very large and it's generally easier to sleep in them compared to typical coach/economy airline seats. But then again meals are still included with sleeper accommodations, so that might be a consideration.

Agreed, Amtrak coach seats are very comfortable. But I don't get how another poster in this thread was able to meet more people in coach as compared to sleeper. Nearly all the great encounters and conversations we had were because we were seated with strangers in the dining car, or by sitting in booths in the Sightseer lounges (SSL) or cafe cars. I've ridden coach (mostly less than 6-hr trips, granted) for 50 years and can barely recall any decent conversations in coach - people are usually reading or working or sleeping, or now with Covid, they don't even seat you with a stranger. Seek out the booths!!

In my student days when I exclusively traveled by Coach if and when I could afford Amtrak and treat me to an upgrade from Greyhound, I did meet a lot of people in Coach, Lounges and even Diners. Back then there was no special treatment of Sleeper passengers in Diners. Everyone had to buy the food that they ate. And there were no Smartphones to bury ones nose in, and no earbuds to shut the world around you out.

I have no idea what the situation is now since I travel mostly by Sleeper and seldom meet too many interesting people even in the Diner. Everyone is busy tinkering with their phones these days it seems ;)

In my student days when I exclusively traveled by Coach if and when I could afford Amtrak and treat me to an upgrade from Greyhound, I did meet a lot of people in Coach, Lounges and even Diners. Back then there was no special treatment of Sleeper passengers in Diners. Everyone had to buy the food that they ate. And there were no Smartphones to bury ones nose in, and no earbuds to shut the world around you out.

I have no idea what the situation is now since I travel mostly by Sleeper and seldom meet too many interesting people even in the Diner. Everyone is busy tinkering with their phones these days it seems ;)

Agreed on the phones.
If you travel as a couple and sit together in coach, then the only way you meet people is in cars other than the coach. In the diner they used to seat couples on one side of the booth and make strangers sit across from you. You have to talk. It's awesome. Same in the SSL, since there aren't enough booths for everyone, you have to let strangers sit with you. Oh the stories!! Whenever I think about train journeys bringing four of us who already know each other, I think, Nah.
I am heartbroken that Covid is messing with this amazing social dynamic.

Did you say something, Jis?

Back